1. For reasons unknown to us at SCC, it seems that SCC members who are AT&T users experience issues with emails and personal messages when using our forum. This is not unique to SCC and several other internet sites are reporting the same issues. Todo10, the company who helps us with the forum and hosting, have file a complaint with AT&T but we are not convinced AT&T will do anything about it. The only way around this is to register and use another email address not connected to AT&T. We are sorry for any inconveniences this might cause! Please check this link for more info: https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Email-Security/Blocked-Domain-Email-or-IP-address-Questions-and-Discussion/td-p/4961060/page/28 More info will come when we know more! With kind regards Jim aka L61R
    Dismiss Notice

stock chip fix or no

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by mark garrison, Jun 29, 2017.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. MarkJnK

MarkJnK Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    Beautiful rifle. Looks to be a very similar vintage to my 580xxx .270 Mannlicher that I just got. I might take mine apart today to see what markings and condition of things below the furniture. I was going through many of the same decisions regarding refinishing the stock. Have you weighed your rifle? Just curious because you mentioned the heavy barrel. Congrats and enjoy that gorgeous rifle.

2. MarkJnK

MarkJnK Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    Took my 580xxx AV .270 Mannlicher apart today, and it has the exact same markings. 84 under the barrel and AIII on the mag well. Also of note is there is no importer stamp anywhere. I'm also pretty certain mine has the heavy barrel as well.

3. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    That appears to be a Stoeger import from the early to mid 1980's. There is as a short time that Sako didn't finish cutting the checkering and they even used a polymer follower in the magazine. I remember being disappointed when I saw Sakos being cheaply finished and thought this was the beginning of the end for Sako.

Sako looked like they used heavy barrels on their standard rifles of that time. It wasn't much later and Sako started rounding the corners of the stock and putting the palm swell in the grip. The barrels were lighter and they called the new configuration "lightweight hunter."

It already has a different pad on it so I don't think this gun will ever become any collectors item in our lifetime, so if you want to repair the chip, I don't see it hurting the value of the gun unless the repair is done poorly.

4. 16b410

16b410 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Nice rifle. It has what our gang calls the fishbone checkering on the fore-end. Some like it, some don't, but I sure do. The original pad, as mentioned, is as forgiving as a rubber covered rock, so she should be a bit nicer on the shoulder, not that a .270 is heavy hitter. Enjoy!

mark garrison likes this.
  5. mark garrison

mark garrison Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    I love this rifle, polymer follower and all. The beginning of the end? Unfinished checkering? Cheap finish? Wow. I guess it's just a 'shooter.' I think I will keep it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Importer ID markings were a requirement of the 1968 Gun Control Act signed into law in October of that year & was only intended for firearms imported to the U S. Requirements of other countries were different, with many not requiring any such markings. I don't know what Canada's import requirements are or were. If Canada required an import stamp, your rifle could have been imported by an individual. You are correct that your rifle was made when Sako had changed to the slightly heavier contour barrels.

7. MarkJnK

MarkJnK Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    I was thinking the same about mine! If this is what a bad or average Sako looks and feels like, then I'm im for a real treat if i ever stumble upon a good one. I'm still thrilled with it, plastic mag follower and all.

8. MarkJnK

MarkJnK Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    Thanks for the great info Paul!