1. For reasons unknown to us at SCC, it seems that SCC members who are AT&T users experience issues with emails and personal messages when using our forum. This is not unique to SCC and several other internet sites are reporting the same issues. Todo10, the company who helps us with the forum and hosting, have file a complaint with AT&T but we are not convinced AT&T will do anything about it. The only way around this is to register and use another email address not connected to AT&T. We are sorry for any inconveniences this might cause! Please check this link for more info: https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Email-Security/Blocked-Domain-Email-or-IP-address-Questions-and-Discussion/td-p/4961060/page/28 More info will come when we know more! With kind regards Jim aka L61R
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting the Mannlicher 375 H-H

Discussion in 'Sako Mannlichers and Carbines' started by Savannah AL, Mar 17, 2017.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Savannah AL

Savannah AL Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Hello Everyone,
    About 2 weeks ago I purchased a Sako Mannlicher L61R AV in 375 H&H and I wanted to share my experience shooting this rifle. This rifle marked a lot of firsts for me: first Sako, first bolt action ever owned, and first 375H&H. I am left eye dominant and own lever-actions, single-shots, and I have two double-rifles, but never a bolt until now. My largest caliber until now was the 405 winchester - a round I really like.

AMMO: I couldn't find 375 ammo in the Savannah area as I elephant population is very low. So I mailed ordered some that arrived this past Tuesday. I selected Nosler Trophy Grade AccuBond 300gr as I have had good results with Nosler ammo in past rifles. Per the label, at the muzzle it is at 2400 fps and 3836 ft-lbs, 50yd 2313 fps and 3563 ft-lbs, and 100yd at 2228 fps and 3306 ft-lbs. I believe this is based on a 24 inch barrel and I have a 19 inch barrel that will cause the fps to drop 150 to 175.

SCOPE: I had a Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32mm with 1-inch tube lying around so I mounted it and the bolt just cleared but it worked. With the rifle fully set-up it weighed 8lbs 14oz.

TEMP: March 15th was the worse day we have had this winter. The temp at range time was 37f, humidity was 51% and the wind was 25mph. I was the only one at the range except the two range officers. Far from ideal weather but the day worked into my schedule so I went.

RECOIL PAD: The factory red Sako recoil pad has become extremely hard almost brittle like. I plan on carefully removing it and keeping it with the gun, but adding a new pad. The current pad is rock hard.

FIRING IMPRESSIONS: I fired a total of 10 shots before I called it quits. It was not as bad as I thought it would be but the recoil was stout. It felt like thunder in a little stick! I've had a cervical (neck) operation and a lumbar and my overall spine is in bad shape, and after 10 shots my neck was bothering me and not really my shoulder, although I could feel it with every shot. I'm 6ft 3in and 180 lbs and a senior, so I'm definitely no stud out there at the firing line.

SHOT RESULTS: I first placed the target at 25 yards and was dancing around the bullseye within 5 inches. I think this was a combo of a little jitters and dialing in the scope. I had 5 shots at 25 yards before moving to 80 yards. Why 80 yards? The range max is 100 yards and it rained a day or two prior and the 90-100 yard section was muddy, so I opted for 80 yards. My last 4 shots touched each other about 1-2 inches right of the bullseye. At that point I had enough fun and it would have to wait until another day.

Also of surprise was the lack of barrel heat. Granted it was a cold windy day but with such a light rifle I was expecting a light barrel prone to heat. I have a Browning BLR Stainless in 243 that I shoot more than all my other rifles. Great little gun, surprising accuracy for a lever, but that barrel will heat of quick even with 1 to 2 minutes between shots. The Sako barrel never got warm, but I'll evaluate that further on a 70f day.

FUTURE TEST: My next visit the target will be at 100yards. I'm also leaning towards buying a Burris MTAC 1.5-6x42mm but this scope has a 30mm body and I will need 30mm High rings to accomodate and I suspect bolt clearance will be ok. I've had good luck with higher power Burris MTAC scopes previously.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: I'm glad I bought this Sako. It is a sleek little gun running on high octane. I did slip my ear muffs off for one shot and the 375 with that short barrel definitely cracks but I expected as much. I doubt I'll ever make it to the dark continent but if I did I would want to walk around with this lightweight Sako, it has great balance, a joy to carry, and has authority in the chambering.

I'd welcome any info on the 375 H&H, I'm totally new to the caliber.
    Also, if anyone knows of a good book or chapter of a book that covers Sako's please let me know. I'd like to learn more. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    My 375 has not been to Africa - yet. I bought it when I was stationed in AK. That was a LONG time ago, so when I'd grab a rifle to hunt, the 375 would whine and say "please take me", eventually I did, It's a great deer gun, I've taken a couple of deer and pigs with mine; there's a hole about the size of my pinky finger going in and out, by time the bullet thinks about expanding, it's through these tiny deer (almost like shooting a solid!!).
    375 H&H in Coastal Georgia, I've seen it but I don't shoot factory loads.........

3. Branxhunter

Branxhunter Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Thanks for the great write up Savannah AL. Looks like that rifle is a hoot, and shoots quite well also. The photo across the chair seems to suggest some quite nice figure in the butt.

Marcus

4. Savannah AL

Savannah AL Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Thanks Marcus,
    For a quick temporary fix I took some duct tape and a Browning gel pad that was designed for a shotgun and duct taped it to the right side of the stock since I am a leftie. I cracked my lower left jaw years ago (a bicycle fall, nothing exciting like a pub fight!) and have a chip of bone missing and it is still sensitive, so I wanted the cushion.
    I have to figure out a nicer fix, maybe moleskin? I need to replace the brick hard recoil pad, and put a scope I like more on it, and then - off to the range.
    Like I said above, I'm very glad I stumbled upon this and I hope it with me for a long while. Cheers mate!

5. robinpeck

robinpeck Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    I want one.

6. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Did you add the shell holder & the shoulder pad to the Cabela's vest? Nice idea!! There are several strap on buttstock ammo carriers/comb pads available that are nicely padded & also allow comb height adjustment that may help your cheek slap issue. For heavy recoil a Limb Saver pad is about the softest & most recoil absorbing I have found. Thanks for the feedback on your rifle!!

7. Savannah AL

Savannah AL Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    I made my own vest out of necessity. Down here in the swamps of Georgia are thorns and more thorns. I could only find cotton shooting vest and hunting vest and after 2 seasons they would look like shredded cheese. I wanted canvas which was very popular in the 1960s when I first started hunting.

So I bought that Cabelas vest that was in the work wear section, bought a couple feet of canvas fabric and went to a Korean sew shop and they sewed a shotgun pad insert on the left shoulder for me. It works great and the canvas holds up to the thorns.

I had the leather shell hold laying around my gun room and had that sewn on. It works great with 45-70, just a little short with 405 win, and as you can see the 375H&H are out of the loops quite a bit. Overall I've been real happy with it and I have just under $100 into it.

I agree with you on Limb Saver, I have a number of them on my rifles and find them also the most recoil absorbing. ... AL

8. d500lnn

d500lnn Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Really great looking rifle.

9. bulldurham48

bulldurham48 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia

10. bulldurham48

bulldurham48 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    I just bought a Sako 375 H&H again, sold my first one in 87, had hunted in Germany for 7 years with it and always reloaded for it. Always used 250 gr bullets and found out it would kill anything and everything Germany had to offer all with very minimum tissue damage, everything from the little Roe deer to the Red Deer Stags and it was a true Boar stopper. Sadly sold mine to pay taxes in 87 an been looking since,found 1 in OH the other day and bought it. Will have it a few days an will hunt whitetail with it. Maybe over gunned, but there is nothing like the feel and shooting a Sako 375 H&H Full stock gun. Still trying to find my reloading data on it, but will reload with 250 gr bullets, shoot fantastic groups from 50 to 200 meters and beyond if you want. Now have 3 Sako's, 22-250, 270, an now 375 H&H. Anyone with any good reloading date for the short barrell please pass it around, will sure save me and others some money and time.

11. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    I want one too.