• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Scope shim location

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

gowyo

Sako Junkie
Howdy,

I mounted up an older vari-x III 6.5x20 Leupold on my A1 22 PPC today. It is mounted in a set of OEM High 1" windage adjustable Sako rings. The parallax adjustment ring just barely touched the barrel. I mean barely, if I gently lift on the objective, I could adjust the ring without contact. Otherwise it's slightly ratchets on the barrel. I don't think any contact is good between barrel and scope, so I chose to shim it with some small strips of aluminum. I placed the aluminum on the bottom halves of the Rings and that worked, but then I thought would they be best there or at the bottom of the Ring bases. I do know that would slightly decrease the amount of bite that the mounts have on the receiver, but barely. Anyone have preferences and reasoning they wished to share? TIA, Gary

I'd shim under the front base rather than inside the ring so you dont risk damage to the scope tube. Just my preference, either would probably work if it needs as little as you indicate.

No problem with the shims under the scope tube. I've done it a number of times when the front and rear bases of non-Sako rings were slightly mismatched in height. I think you would find shims under the mount bottom a much more iffy proposition since the area where the shims would sit is so relatively small.

As one side of the ringmount is machined to match the dovetail a shim under the bottom of the ringmount may not be the best option, as it would prevent the two surfaces from mating properly. Shimming the bottom of the rings would be the way I would do it. If done properly you will not damage your scope tube.

Thanks all,

That was my initial thought and I did cut the strips to be just a little smaller than the ring width. I appreciate this forum to bounce ideas off of people with more experience and knowledge than I. I might experiment putting shims under the bases just to see how it looks, but I'll probably end up sticking with the shims in the Rings. So close, if I moved the scope half an inch forward it probably wouldn't touch, that might be another option.
I hope to get out this weekend if the wind is down.

Back