• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Scope recommendations 30.06

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I am the new owner of a Sako 85 30.06. I'm very surprised since I never imagined owning such a fine rifle. I have hunted for years with a Ruger 300 win mag with a Nightforce. While hunting big game (caribou/moose) in Alaska, I've found that most shots are less than 200yds. Mainly because it's necessary to confirm sex and antlers (brow tines). I wanted to move to the 30.06 since I'm tired of the buck of the 300 win mag and I typically hunt on horseback so a lighter rifle is best suited. So with all these factors in mind and the importance of having good sighting in twilight, what scope would be best suited for my Sako? I can afford a Swaro but I'd rather not spend that much unless it's truly worth it. Thanks

To me the Swaro is other-worldly good. If it is not the best glass you can put on a rifle, I haven't yet peered through the one that is. If you can afford it, buy it. There are many of us who can only dream of buying one. I'm a Leupold man, they are fine scopes, and I spent more than a few bucks on a few (used) LPS models that are absolutely amazing at night. But the Swaro... Wow!

Keith. I like the Leupold 3.5 x 10 x 40 . Others may have better info for the 85 model which to my recollection has had some ejection problems. Maybe they have fixed it ! My understanding is the cases when ejected can hit the scope and fall back in the loading port. Jim

Keith. I like the Leupold 3.5 x 10 x 40 . Others may have better info for the 85 model which to my recollection has had some ejection problems. Maybe they have fixed it ! My understanding is the cases when ejected can hit the scope and fall back in the loading port. Jim
Yes, I understood that the mounting simply has to account for the ejection path. Hopefully, I will be able to find someone in AK that has some experience proper mounting for this rifle. Thanks so much for your recommendations

To me the Swaro is other-worldly good. If it is not the best glass you can put on a rifle, I haven't yet peered through the one that is. If you can afford it, buy it. There are many of us who can only dream of buying one. I'm a Leupold man, they are fine scopes, and I spent more than a few bucks on a few (used) LPS models that are absolutely amazing at night. But the Swaro... Wow!
I just never bothered to look at Swaro since I've never had a worthy rifle. Thanks for the response

The physics of optics make trade-offs necessary in any scope, regardless of its design or price. You trade magnification for field of view. You trade field of view for latitude of eye placement and eye relief. You trade objective size for exit pupil. The list goes on and on.

While there are many scopes which are excellent telescopes, there are fewer which are well-adapted as optical gunsights. In my experience, Leupold does the best job of making the right compromises which result in the best hunting riflescope. On a .30-06 which you want to keep reasonably light and don't plan to use at much more than 200 yards, the VX-3 in 2.5-8X36 would seem a good match. It is relatively light and compact, and its low-light resolution when set to about 6X will be 98% of what the largest, bulkiest European 56mm objective scopes will provide.

The physics of optics make trade-offs necessary in any scope, regardless of its design or price. You trade magnification for field of view. You trade field of view for latitude of eye placement and eye relief. You trade objective size for exit pupil. The list goes on and on.

While there are many scopes which are excellent telescopes, there are fewer which are well-adapted as optical gunsights. In my experience, Leupold does the best job of making the right compromises which result in the best hunting riflescope. On a .30-06 which you want to keep reasonably light and don't plan to use at much more than 200 yards, the VX-3 in 2.5-8X36 would seem a good match. It is relatively light and compact, and its low-light resolution when set to about 6X will be 98% of what the largest, bulkiest European 56mm objective scopes will provide.
Thanks for providing some clarity. This is exactly what I'm looking for, I'll definitely check out the Leupold VX-3. Thanks again

I think Stonecreek's recommendation is spot on. When I lived in Alaska I hunted with a Sako .338 Win Mag scoped with a Leupold 1.5-5. I wouldn't go higher than 2.5 because of potential close range bear encounters, but the 8 power would be a little better for sheep.

If you buy any new Leupold VX-3 from a dealer before December 31st you can get a $100 rebate from Leupold. All the details are on the Leupold website. Check out prices eBay. Then call Dodds Sporting Goods in WV and talk to Darren the owner. Tell him "Victor in NH" suggested you call and you're mounting the Leupold on a Sako 85 'o6.

I'd also suggest using Leupold Quick Detatch (QD) rings and bases. That way you can interchange your Leupold scope with your next Sako with negligible affect on accuracy. Check QD rings and bases out on the Leupold site, too. You probably can get by with low QDs. Any question about ring height drop me a note and I'll check my Sakos which all carry Leupolds in QD rings and bases.

Good luck! You'll love hunting with a Leupold VX-3 on your Sako!

The Swaro Z3 3x9 x 36 is a great choice and won't break the bank, about 700 retail. I have one on an ultralight 270. No brainer for big game at 2-300 yds. Great scope. If they made it in gloss I'd have on my l579.

If they made it in gloss
Yep, it's a sad thing that current fashion trends make us see less of these scopes. To my eye, a highly polished action and barrel are worthy of a matching scope. Not having done any extensive research, I can only recall Leupold making scopes in gloss finish these days. Not even the German/Austrian deluxe brands do.

However, Kahles (Helia) are again manufacturing at least one model with steel tube for those who want a traditional look.

/cmk

Fashion, trends, fads -- a pox on them! Scopes for highly polished blued guns need to be gloss, and it's damn hard to find one these days. Even though Leupold makes them, very few dealers stock them. There's nothing wrong with a matte scope finish, but it belongs on a rifle with a duller blue, not on a Sako Deluxe, a Browning Medallion, or a Winslow.

As for the shiny finish "spooking game", it's a myth. The reflection from the round scope body will naturally be diffuse and dim at distance, whereas it is the scope lens which will reflect glare which can be seen at a distance. Though the chance of lens reflection actually alerting game to your presence is minimal, it is just as likely with a matte scope as a gloss scope.

I've always found that game animals seem more shocked by the reflective glare of the bullet, as it impacts. :)

/cmk

Last edited:
I always hunt with a short sunshield on my scopes as they do not take up much space and they can knock down some glare. Very useful little accessory for both the shooter's eyes as well as his hunt. I always thought the 'glass' in the scope to be way more threatening than the 'gloss' finish of a scope.

Latest posts

Back