1. For reasons unknown to us at SCC, it seems that SCC members who are AT&T users experience issues with emails and personal messages when using our forum. This is not unique to SCC and several other internet sites are reporting the same issues. Todo10, the company who helps us with the forum and hosting, have file a complaint with AT&T but we are not convinced AT&T will do anything about it. The only way around this is to register and use another email address not connected to AT&T. We are sorry for any inconveniences this might cause! Please check this link for more info: https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Email-Security/Blocked-Domain-Email-or-IP-address-Questions-and-Discussion/td-p/4961060/page/28 More info will come when we know more! With kind regards Jim aka L61R
    Dismiss Notice

Scope mounts

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Webphut, Jan 21, 2018.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Webphut

Webphut Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I have been using the opti lock sako bases and rings on all my rifles, but lately I am wondering if the Leupold mounts might be a just as good alternative. The Leupold would need to lapped unlike the opti loks, but the last set I installed, my scope windage had to be maxed to one direction to center my shots to the target. I know shims is the solution, but it bothers me I need to jimmy rig it like this though. I know, I know, I’m a bit snobby when it comes to my Sako’s, but I like my Sako’s to work as they were intended and designed to work from the factory.

Has anyone used Leupold bases and rings on their Sako’s? Do the Leupold bases have the recoil lug?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. sako4me

sako4me Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Why not use the Sako ring mounts, which in my opinion are more robust and nicer looking than Leupold.

deergoose likes this.
  3. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I use the Leupold ringmounts on all my Sakos. No they don't have the worthless, redundant positioning (not recoil) lug which limits where you can position the ring on the rear dovetail. If you think it is a "recoil" lug you haven't grasped the principle behind the tapered dovetails. I have NEVER had an issue with adjusting any scope to zero. If you use some common sense you can position the rings to be fairly close to centering the scope as the windage can be adjusted by sliding the rings fore & aft on each dovetail. The length of the scope tube can be an issue with this positioning approach, but any "normal" scope has never been a problem for me. You should NEVER need to shim anything. Just MHO based on my experience using Leupold ringmounts, YMMV.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  4. Webphut

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Yes, I am interested in giving the Leopold a try, but never can find them. The ones I do find, I’m worried they require drilling and tapping the Sako tapered dove tail the mount them. I kind of sort know the reasoning behind Sako recoil lug design, but I think it may be a tad overkill on their part. The tapered dove tail design is nice because it’s a built in way of centering the scope mounts, that’s why I have always just stuck to the Sako Opti loks. My gunsmith said to let him have a go at the rifle before switching over as it just may be a bad installation on my part.

5. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The Leupold ringmounts clamp directly to the dovetails, like the original Sako ringmounts. It is unnecessary & would serve no purpose to drill & tap anything. You must be thinking of using the base & ring system where the bases are driven on the dovetails & the front turn in ring & windage adjustable rear ring are used. Once the bases are properly driven on there is no need to "screw them in place" or even use the set screw provided. The rings are then installed as you would on any rifle using the two piece system (base & ring) & windage can be adjusted with the opposing screws that hold the rear ring on the base. The Leupold ringmounts are a one piece clamp on style. I've seen Redfield, Burris & other base & ring mount systems for the Sako dovetails, but I think Leupold only offers the one piece ringmounts, IIRC.

6. Webphut

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Ok saw some today, I like them. Gunsmith going to go over my install first, but I may switch if everything not up to snuff.

7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I don't think they are still being made, but Warne made a Sako mount which clamped directly to the dovetails. Another obsolete direct clamp mount was made and sold by Kesselrings, a large gun store in Washington state which went out of business a couple of years ago.

The Millett mount for Sako is virtually a direct clamp. It uses the regular Millett cross lock ring (made to fit Weaver bases) with a tiny adapter that sits underneath the ring and a special set of claws which clamp directly to the dovetails. Through some kind of licensing agreement Millett packaged some of their mounts in blue bubble packs identified with the Sako logo and no reference to Millett.

8. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I have a set of the adapters that go under the Millet rings. The do allow one to take advantage of the windage adjustability of the Millets. Their only drawback is you can only position the rings in one place on the dovetails, which can inhibit mounting with some scopes. My reference to the Leupold ringmounts was in regard to the drive on bases with the turn in front/windage rear rings. Leupold offers the ringmounts "only", not the base/ring system like Redfield did or Burris does. I could very well be wrong on this. It's just that I have not seen them offered for sale anywhere. Maybe they were in the past. Were there other makers as well????

9. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Right. Redfield and Burris offer drive-on bases for the Redfield-type turn-in rings, while Leupold's only Sako mount is the ringmount.

Sometimes this gets confused since the Redfield turn-in ring patent has long-since expired and nearly everyone (Redfield, Burris, Millett, Leupold, and maybe some others) make rings to fit the turn-in bases.