Sako trigger questions

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Big Cat Daddy, Apr 2, 2016.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Big Cat Daddy

Big Cat Daddy Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Hello. I've got a few questions regarding Sako L579 and AII triggers. Will all L series and AII series triggers interchange? If not please explain. I have a 243 L579 and a 22-250 AII that I'd like to swap triggers with. Will that work? In your opinion, what's the best Sako after market trigger? Last question, does anyone know what a Canjar Sako trigger that came out of a L579 is worth? Thank you very much & have a great weekend,
    Jim D

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The L579 & the AII are identical actions except for the addition of a bolt shroud on the AII. They both use the Sako #4 trigger. Be aware that if you swap triggers it's possible that they won't feel or "act" the same way in the other gun. Small differences in the striker sear & spring could effect things. The only aftermarket trigger available that I am aware of is the Timney. Although it is a good trigger. I don't see it as being any
    "improvement" over the #4. I have no clue what the old Canjar (out of business) triggers are worth, but others here use them & may know more.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Not sure why you want to swap triggers between two of your Sakos, but perhaps it is because one has a better pull than the other. If that is the case, have you tried adjusting the pull of the heavier one? Run a search of the forums with the search feature near the RH top of this page and you'll find plenty of info on how to adjust your trigger.

4. pk1

pk1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    The triggers will fit however the safety lever is somewhat shorter on the newer L579's so you may have to remove some wood in order to make it work.

If you can find a Canjar trigger for an L579 you'll pay anywhere between $125 and $200 for it. Possibly more. As far as I know Timney makes the only after market trigger for the L579 but if you want to put one in an older Forester prepare to damage the stock.

5. blackjack

blackjack Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Good Afternoon Sako Lovers,

Are the Canjar Trigger Units the same for the Sako L61R, L579, & L461? Also does the Sako L61R, L579, & L461 stocks have to be butchered to fit the Canjar Trigger Units?
    I know that the Sako stocks have to be butchered to allow the fitting of a Timney Trigger Unit, and that is why I would not use a Timney! Question to Paul - How good are these after-market Trigger Units compared to the original Sako Trigger Units fitted to the L61R, L579. & L461?

Blackjack

6. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The "L" series Sakos all take the same trigger as far as I know. The only potential benefit the aftermarket triggers have is they can be set to a pull weight under two pounds. This might be attractive to a person shooting targets or colony varmints from a bench or other specialized endeavor, but for most sporting uses the Sako #4 trigger is more than adequate. Sako actions are not the action of choice for any formal, highly competitive shooting activities, so putting a "target" trigger in them would be for one's personal desires rather than to gain any competitive advantage or improvement to the rifle. Having to modify the stock & possibly the slot in the trigger guard are not worth any perceived gain these aftermarket triggers claim to offer, IMHO. All my Sakos have the original Model 70 type or #4 triggers & they perform wonderfully whether shooting prairie dogs, informal target shooting, or hunting big game. I've handled rifles with both the Timney & the Canjar & would not consider them for the uses I employ my Sakos. Triggers, however, are a highly subjective feature & you will find opinions "all over the map", as they say.

7. blackjack

blackjack Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Hello Paul,

Thank you Paul for a very interesting and informative read. Can you tell me if the Sako L579 stock has to be butchered if one is going to use a Canjar Trigger Unit? or does it just slide in.

Blackjack

8. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I have no experience installing the Canjar. IIRC, the Timney requires some minor "whittling" for the safety to clear. I also, vaguely, recall a thread here regarding metal removal on the trigger guard slot for an aftermarket trigger, but I don't remember which one.

9. South Pender

South Pender Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    I believe that the same Canjar trigger will fit both the L579 and L461, but am unsure about the L61R. I have a Canjar single-set trigger on my A1 in 6 PPC, and the trigger housing is marked "579". In the installation, some wood had to be removed, but, of course, being inside, this wood removal is not noticeable. The slot in the trigger guard in my rifle had to be widened somewhat to accommodate the wide trigger shoe on the Canjar single-set trigger. I don't know about the non-set Canjar trigger, though; it may have a narrower trigger piece that will slip through the factor slot.