• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Triace

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I have just ordered a Sako Triace and it should be here in about a week . It is the three barrel set and from the pictures it looks to be in good condition. It has the large case the extra barrels and magazines. I have noticed that there seems to be some variation in these sets as some are all a Flat Grey Finish and some look like they are Flat Grey and Stainless. waht is the difference in the two other than the finish.

Thanks,

Gforce55

Congrats Gforce, and welcome to the club. We don't get a lot of Sako pistol owners stopping by, so it might be a while for you get info. If you are able, post up some photos when it shows up.

Thanks, Dick

Hi Sako Guys,

I just joined the pistol club and Bought a triace, the literature with the gun indicates two models the 22-32 is a two barrel set with a 60 degree
grip aangle. The Triace is a three barrel set with a 65 degree grip angle. Mine is the stainless and black model, I have also seen models that are a two tone black. I have the original booklets and repair kit with the triace. The barrels are not sequentially marked so it would appear that due to the 22-32 and the triace models they could easily be missmatched, mine are close but each barrel is a few numbers out. Do you have any idea what these things are worth?????

Hi Gforce -

Glad to hear it showed up. Sadly, I know only what I read here about them. There was a post here by someone that seemed knowledgable that indicated that the barrels in a set were never sequential, so I wouldn't bet on it not being original. Sounds like the set is quite complete - papers, manual, and all. Sako does have a very large pdf file available on their site for the TriAce, but you may very well have that covered.

As far as value goes, you may know as much as anybody here. The largely worthless Blue Book does list the TriAce sets. Most here are dubious of their relation with reality, so take the following with more than a grain of salt...

They show last retail (US '86) as $2385. 100%(NIB) set value is $2500. 98% is &2200, 95% is $2000. 90% is $1500. 80% is $1300, and so on. This is from the 29th edition, so a year or two old.

Interesting about the grip angles - hadn't heard that before. I have heard that they are heavy compared to the competition - maybe you need to start pumping iron. I'd be interested to know how the shooting goes. My understanding is that just finding the ammo the pistol likes is a large part of it.

Best, Dick

Looks like the guns for sale that rafu links to are of the 22/32 type, not the TriAce. Look at the trigger guard, it is tilted downwards, but on the TriAce, it is parallell to the barrel. The 22/32 sets have been priced lower than the TriAce on the used marked here in Norway, as it is an earlier model than the TriAce.

DSC00850.jpg

rafu

Thanks for the links to the 22-32 photos. The first link in your first post shows a 22-32 with the higher sight rib on a 32 cal barrel like I have. This find increases the probability that my set is correct and as issued from Sako. The trigger guard on my gun is tilted down not parallel and it does have a slightly different grip angle (Morini grip for Tri Ace will not fit). The easiest way to tell the difference between the Tri Ace and 22-32 Conversion is that the barrel support (front part of trigger guard that supports barrel) in front of the takedown screw is much longer on the Tri Ace.

hmrgun

I have just bought a Triace about 3 months ago, this is a highquality gun that shoots amazingly well. Mine came with all three calibers and would appear that the only barrel used is the 22 long rifle. It came with a very well built case with foam cutouts for barresl clips and a repair kit with springs etc as well as the screwdrivers. The literature included shows two distinct models.

1- Two barrel set with carbon fiber grip and 60 degree grip angle

2- Three barrel set with wood grips and 65 degree grip angle.

I have only had time to shoot the triace on a couple of occassions and it is flawless with a perfect fit for my hand so I think I lucked out there. I paid $2500.00 for mine and have since been offered more than I paid for the Triace. As a point of interest the serial numbers are not consecutive, a few number varience from barrel to barrel but less than 50 seperate all three barrels. I live in Canada and would appreciate information on getting some 32 ammunition.

Thanks,

gforce

I have too just acquired a Sako Tiace. It is the three barrel one and was used by my brother to shoot competition. I live in Canada as well and know that ammo will be a challenge to acquire. Fortunately my brother also had some brass, dies, and moulds for 98 grain wad cutters. I guess I will have to get some loaded up..

Hi,
I have been shootin ISSF competitions with my Sako Triace for approx 3 years.
The .22 is very reliable and can handle any ammo I have fed it. I have never had a malfuction except for a very rare occasion were the ammo was faulty and did not fire.
The .32 is the best and I have never had a malfuction but I do load my own ammo so I make sure it feeds ok.
The pistols are heavy especially the .32 but they can compete with any other pistol on the market.

I have posted pictures etc of my pistol ( s) earlier on this site.

Regards

Now we have at least two sako triaces in Alberta.Well I guess my particular triace was in Alberta before I purchased it.it is a two barrel set,32 s&w long and 22lr.This gun was well kept and judging by the breech face,not shot competitively,only recreationally.I haven't shot it yet but plan to get it to the range asap.any suggestions on 22 ammunition would be welcome.I too am a recreational shooter and enjoy spending time at the range.this is not my only sako,I have a p72 finnfire which I purchased as a young man and am very satisfied with it.

I have the TriAce 'kit', having purchased it about 18 months ago, as the 22S, 22LR and 32. It shoots very well (and even better in the hands of someone who doesn't have a shoulder injury from work). It loves CCI Standard Velocity 22 ammunition. I was fortunate to purchase some 22 Shorts but the price means I only shoot Shorts on the very rare occasion. Photos will be forthcoming, as long as my computer and I come to a mutually agreeable understanding.
I'm as happy as a pup with two tails with my 'baby'. Unfortunately one of the previous owners didn't like the original grip and took to it to alter the grip shape. Can anybody tell me where I can obtain an original grip, one as nice as my fellow countryman from South Australia? Not quite over the hill but I can give the young whipper snappers at my Pistol Club, with their expensive toys a run for their money. My baby may be old, but she performs flawlessly.
Frame number: 813185; 22LR serial number 811311; 22Short - 804386 and the 32 serial number is 804954.

Hi guys, have not been on here for some time, found this thread and thought I may be able to contribute a little for you all.

Pictured is at top a Triace in .22 long it has a strengthened top strap, extended trigger guard flat as previously suggested and grip angle also as suggested.

Second down is in fact a 3 in 1, the grip has been hashed but is somewhat workable, it is pictured in .32cal, below is .22 long and below it .22 short fully ported and hosting a very short barrel length.

The lower barrels do not out of the box fit into a triace, sadly I may add.

The rear receiving cutout is different, not to say it can't be done but can't out the box be forced to fit.

The Triace pictured was in fact custom built for Alex Taransky, Australian Olympian of the late 60's early 70's hence the serial 810000, it hosts a lovely rolloff trigger and will shoot X ring everyday of the week with SK ammo.

The 3 in 1 has had a little rougher life, sad too say that when I found it unloved in Western Australia it was sexed up with new firing pins custom made by Alex and new buffer system fitted, it too shoots x tens all day long.

It's serials .32 802488, .22long 801612 and .22short 800565.

Both are a joy to shoot, sit well in the hand and short of busting firing pins are flawless, a recent State title shoot saw the trigger bar spring break on the triace, yep, you guessed it, no parts are available. Fortunately for me, Alex is a great friend as well as my coach / mentor and still has a host of triace parts so the triace lives on and continues to deliver.

If ever in South Australia, y'all may visit and compare side by side both models.

Hope this helps ;) triace and 3 in 1.jpg

I am soon to join the Triace team as I am in the midst of acquiring a complete set.

A first blush it looks like the 77-81 vintage. Pics will follow if anyone is interested.

The bolt on the 22 short is significantly smaller the the ones on the 22lr and the 32.

Cheers from New Brunswick CANADA

Hi

I'm not really a pistol guy but I just saw the pics of your new shooter set and all I can say is that everything looks really great. I must have been living in a cave because I didn't know that such a thing even existed. At any rate you did just super getting the set and I wish you all of the luck and enjoyment you can get out of shooting it. Thanks for bringing it to us. I know that we enjoy seeing new 'found' pieces. They create a tremendous amount of awareness and education too boot.

rick

Hi,
I have the three barrel set in 32 S&W Serial first 3 digits 806
22 Long rifle first 3 digits 805
22 Short first 3 digits 804
The last 3 digits are not sequentially the same, however the calibers are identified in relation to the first three to signify the increase in power. (804 small) (805 Medium) (806 Large) This came from the factory in the original Sako Case that is Metal with cutout's for each barrel and two magazines for each caliber. The info I have is that the vast majority of these sets came as two barrel sets that could have been ordered in any configuration. As a result many of the three barrel sets were made up by buying or trading to get the three barrel set. When they are made up they are called a Sako Triace. Triace pistol kits were made up at the factory with the cased pistol sets with accessories. Only imported one year. 1985-86 only. Less than 200 sets were shipped to the USA and 87 sets to Canada. In the information I have been able to find their is no breakdown as to how the sets were configured. I bought my set in 1986 from the original owner and so far it has not made it to the range. I have all the original paperwork that came with the pistol. I have just recently decided to downsize my collection; so if any of you collectors are interested my set is for sale.

Hi,
I have the three barrel set in 32 S&W Serial first 3 digits 806
22 Long rifle first 3 digits 805
22 Short first 3 digits 804
The last 3 digits are not sequentially the same, however the calibers are identified in relation to the first three to signify the increase in power. (804 small) (805 Medium) (806 Large) This came from the factory in the original Sako Case that is Metal with cutout's for each barrel and two magazines for each caliber. The info I have is that the vast majority of these sets came as two barrel sets that could have been ordered in any configuration. As a result many of the three barrel sets were made up by buying or trading to get the three barrel set. When they are made up they are called a Sako Triace. Triace pistol kits were made up at the factory with the cased pistol sets with accessories. Only imported one year. 1985-86 only. Less than 200 sets were shipped to the USA and 87 sets to Canada. In the information I have been able to find their is no breakdown as to how the sets were configured. I bought my set in 1986 from the original owner and so far it has not made it to the range. I have all the original paperwork that came with the pistol. I have just recently decided to downsize my collection; so if any of you collectors are interested my set is for sale.

Hello Garry,

I have shot Sako pistols for over twenty-five years and presently have a 22-32 starting at s/n 803206. I used to own 805414 (.22), 805479 (.32) and 804870 (.22 short). My understanding from John Mock at Stoeger Canada, many years ago, was that they brought 40 22.32 3-gun sets into Canada in the eighties. There were a few imported through direct means also. He told me that the Triace was an update based on the U.S. market. ATF required safeties on guns to the U.S. Hence, that and the very slight change in the grip angle were the only difference between the two models. Many parts are interchangeable.
If you still have the guns, I would be interested in purchasing them. My last .22-.32 purchase was in January, 2015. My previous one was June, 1992.

Anyone out there have this Sako handgun?......Never seen one here and know that they are quite scarce. Also, anybody know if Sako ever produced shotguns?

DeerGoose

I had a full and complete set of TRIACE 22short, 22long and 32S&W. I won many States Champs in WA with all three. They cost me $1500 in about 1989 These solid steel pistols are much better IMHO than most other alloy pistols now. I also had a second grip section I used with a wrap around timber hand grip just for the rapid fire match. I also had a factory case catcher for the 32. All gone now but I still have a 222 Sako bolt action, the most accurate rifle I have ever shot. A top shot benchrest shooter wanted the rifle just for the action but its still in my gun safe ha!! Sako Triace 2.jpg P1180158.JPG

Attachments

• Sako 22 32.jpg
    Sako 22 32.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 8
  • Sako 22 short Rapid Fire Match.jpg
    Sako 22 short Rapid Fire Match.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back