• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Rifles Afield (as intended)

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

In my experience no one eats jackrabbits because they carry a variety of parasites and worms including tapeworms. They can be transmitted to humans by undercooking. Caution should replace curiosity
The same reasoning for not consuming cat, lion, etc, as they carry many bad parasites including worm species that can migrate to the brain. A fatal curiousity.

The same reasoning for not consuming cat, lion, etc, as they carry many bad parasites including worm species that can migrate to the brain. A fatal curiousity.
Not to mention that the meat of most exclusive carnivores tastes skunky because it contains butyric acid. Reptiles, on the other hand, are mostly edible. You could buy iguana meat in the open market in Belize City when I lived there. Which reminds me, did you consume any of that giant gator? I've only had gator tail once or twice, but it was quite tasty.

That’s like Nutria here. Only I wouldn’t eat one if you held a gun to my head. They were a fur bearer introduced for fur farming during the 1800’s. The market went belly up and they were released, only to survive and expand. Even my residential property gets invaded.
Some fancy chef in New Orleans is promoting nutria dishes, to encourage people to hunt or trap them.

Icebear, our gator hunter luckily took it (after being laid belly up overnight in the walk-in cooler) to an outfit that processes gators in El Campo, Tx. He is going to have it tanned up the middle of the bottom for a rug. Luckily because they smell extremely bad and our cowboys were happy that the processor recommended to not gut the reptile, just to cool it and transport in tarps with plenty of ice to keep the temp low. Akin to a hunter asking for a skunk to be caped, to which our response would be, "knock yourself out and show us how". We happily obliged and provided the ice in trash bags. Apparently there will be about 60 lbs of the claimed better quality meat, part of the tail and I think the backstrap, although I am not too keen on trying it and happy with just hearing the claims of it tasting like rubbery chicken. Kind of like rattlesnake, etc. which I have tried and won't eat again short of starvation. BTW, in some desert regions there is a very large field rat that nests in cactus & claimed to be a delicacy by Indian tribes, but I’ll never, ever try one. IMG_2321.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve had blackened Alligator Tail..spicy and losbteresque. Almost like frog legs..an aquatic reptilian flavor is always present.
Rattler has been something I’ve wanted to try. Once in my early days of adventure a friend and I decided to try Copperhead meat . We caught one we found sunning itself across the road with a forked stick and dropped it in a sack. Tied that up and tossed it in the back of a ‘69 F 500 Refrigerator truck full of ice. Once we had the deliveries made, we skinned it out and stretched the skin on a plank. There wasn’t enough meat for a sandwich after the bones were removed. Rattlers appear to offer a bit more protein at least.

Last edited:
BTW, in some desert regions there is a very large field rat that nests in cactus & claimed to be a delicacy by Indian tribes, but I’ll never, ever try one
That reminds me of a very memorable dinner with friends in Belize. There is a large rodent in Belize called a gibnut (known elsewhere as a paca). Considered a delicacy by the locals, it is hunted in the forest and generally served in a stew or grilled. Anyway, when I lived in Belize I was visited by a pair of female friends. I picked them up at the airport late in the evening and took them to dinner at the Bellevue Hotel, which was about the only semi-respectable place open that late. The waiter informed us that the special of the day was gibnut stew. Well, that was fine - my guests were adventurous types and with my career, I was used to eating most anything that was put in front of me. So, we told the waiter, Gibnut it is! A few minutes later, the waiter returned with a sheepish look on his face and said very sorry, we are all out of gibnut stew - would you mind lobster instead? I said sure, and the girls almost fell out of their chairs laughing. The lobster was, of course, fresh caught and delicious. My friends still tell the story of the time in Belize that they had to take lobster as a substitute for rodent stew.

And while we are on the subject of edible rodents, guinea pig is a great delicacy in Peru, under the name of Cuy. I tried it at an upscale restaurant in Lima and it was, indeed, quite tasty, especially when accompanied by a bottle of Cusqueña beer.

The gibnut is quite a large rodent, growing to two feet or more.
Gibnut01.jpeg

We've strayed a long way from the subject, but I understand that the capybara, a resident of watery habitat in South America and the world's largest rodent, is standard table fare in the areas to which it is native. Although it is the world's largest rodent, I'd take the claim of a 200-pounder in the Wiki article below with a generous grain of salt.

Capybara.jpg

Last edited:
Although it is the world's largest rodent, I'd take the claim of a 200-pounder in the Wiki article below with a generous grain of salt.
Having seen a few of them in zoos, I have no trouble believing 200#. They are said to be a favorite food of jaguars.

Yes we need this thread! Unfortunately no sako contributions from me yet, but next month iam doing the hirvikoe (shooting exam) and going after springbucks! hopefully some pics then.

Yes, this has been a great thread. Time to start a new one, but this one will remain in the archives. Watch for "Sakos Afield 2024".

Thank you to all that contributed their stories and photos…all 33 pages
This has been a great show of passion and dedication to a dying sport. As the numbers of active hunters and outdoorsmen dwindle each passing year, it’s good to see those of us who still look forward to the harvest seasons all over the world. Best of luck to all!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back