• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Quad After-market Stocks

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

This is the only guy I know making wood stocks for a quad. I had one of his Sporter BR stocks with the forearm narrowed down a little. I would also enquire over on RFC on their Sako thread, I've seen a few over there as well.

http://www.donstith.com/sporter_class.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, that's a good question. Boyd's? I did find some interesting after-market items I was considering for my Quad. An outfit offers replacement bolt handles in a variety of types. They also offer replacement METAL trigger guards. Let us know if you find anything.

I'll be posting pix of a nice M78 I picked up recently. I won't be needing a replacement stock for that one. You should see the wood!

Don Stith makes a couple for the Quad, I posted a link to his site on this thread but the mods blocked it for some reason. You can Google his name and Sako and it should come up, he makes some really good stuff.

Interesting, I'm signed in right now and it's not there. I got a message when I posted it that it had to be approved by the mods, I assumed it was some kind of a filter because it was a link to another site, which is not uncommon. Right now looking at my screen, signed in, it doesn't show up, it should show up right in between the OP and iwanna's.

OH Goody- Now I will have to find out how to approve it. Here I go. I think I got it? Let me know, Chuck- Mike

Last edited:
For composite quad stocks McMillan makes a few that fit. They also do a couple that fit the Finnfire

It's been 4 years since smoketrail started this thread, and Boyd's now makes three (3) Laminated stocks to for the Quad: the "Rimfire Hunter", the "Rimfire Varmint Thumbhole", and the "Pro Varmint".

Manners still makes their T4 22 Trainer and inlets it for the Quad, but unfortunately (according to Manners), their T4A mold with KMW ACH (Adjustable Cheekpiece Hardware) isn't setup for the Quad. The workaround to this is to buy a T4 22 Trainer (non-adjustable cheekpiece), then send it to Joe Ducos ("jducos" here on the "new old" Hide' and Scout sites). Joe was formerly known on the old Sniper's Hide (pre-Scout) as "stockdoc"). Joe will expertly cut your T4's cheekpiece, install the KMW ACH, then patch and touch-up the stock. From what people who started-out with non-adjustable stocks say (both Manners and McMillan), Joe's work is very good, and their stocks look as if they came from the factory with the KMW ACH. I have no affiliation with Joe other than he's installed several Loggerhead ACHs' for me in McMillan stocks. As I type this, Joe's current contact info is:

Joe Ducos
5105 Montalbano Court
Salida, California 95368-9339
(209) 620-5268
[email protected]

NOTE THAT INSTALLATION OF THE KMW ACH IN STOCKS THAT AREN'T MOLDED IN TWO PIECES REQUIRES A LOT MORE WORK THAN STOCKS THAT COME MOLDED IN TWO PIECES, SO LEAD TIME AND LABOR COST FOR SUCH AN INSTALL WILL BE GREATER THAN FOR A STOCK THAT WAS MOLDED IN TWO PIECES. HOWEVER, THE KMW ACH UPGRADE IS WELL WORTH THE TIME AND EXPENSE!

I've never had Joe modify either a non-adjustable Manners or a non-adjustable McMillan for me, but I have had him install the KMW ACH (aka "Loggerhead") for me on McMillan A5s' that were molded as two (2) pieces. (McMillan will not install the KMW ACH, but they will do most of the inletting for the KMW ACH install). The trick is that McMillan will only do the inletting on NEW STOCK ORDERS WHEN THE STOCK IS ORDERED AS AN ADJUSTABLE STOCK, AND VERY SPECIFIC ORDERING INSTRUCTIONS ARE REQUIRED TO ENSURE THAT THE STOCK IS ORDERED "JUST SO".

Basically, you order the stock (A2, A3, A3-5 A5, or HTG) as AN ADJUSTABLE STOCK, BUT SPECIFY "NO HARDWARE" SO MCMILLAN WILL MOLD THE STOCK IN TWO PIECES (THE MAIN PIECE, PLUS THE CHEEKPIECE ITSELF) BUT INSTALL "NO HARDWARE". YOU ALSO NEED TO SPECIFY "FULL GLASS - NO VOIDS, KMW INLET". McMillan will fill the stock with fiberglass so there are no voids, giving the best strength, and partially inlet for the KMW Hardware. Whoever installs the KMW ACH will complete the inletting prior to installing the KMW ACH. Side note: Those who really know McMillan tactical stocks know that the A3-5 is molded in two (2) pieces, so ALL A3-5 stocks are adjustable by default, you just have to specify which cheekpiece adjustment hardware they want. (In the case of the KMW ACH, you specify "NO HARDWARE, KMW INLET").

PLEASE NOTE THAT WHILE THE (MCMILLAN) A4 IS AVAILABLE MOLDED AS A TWO TWO-PIECE STOCK, UNLESS MCMILLAN UPDATED THEIR INLETTING PATTERNS FOR THE A4 THEY DO NOT INLET THE A4 FOR THE QUAD. (I VERIFIED ALL OF THE ABOVE WIT MCMILLAN 9/6/2016.

McMillan also inlets their "Sako Varmint" stock for the Quad, but McMillan doesn't have a two-piece mold for the Sako Varmint. McMillan doesn't offer an adjustable Sako Varmint because the cheekpiece tapers rather thin at the comb. If someone wants a Sako Varmint for their Quad and they want an adjustable cheekpiece they can call Joe Ducos and ask Joe if the newer KMW ACH will fit the Sako Varmint (I know it fits the HTG). As with any McMillan stock that you want the "Loggerhead" installed in, you'll have to send it to Joe Ducos to for customization and Loggerhead install.

As far as price goes, I spoke with Terry Cross at KMW himself the beginning of August 2016, and Terry told me himself that Joe charges 1/2 of what Terry will charge you. (Terry is, after all, a gunsmith and has other fish to fry). With COVID-19, that may have changed. Begining of August 2020 Joe Ducos quoted $250.00 (including hardware, installation, and return shipping) on a McMillan A3-5 (molded as two-pieces). Since that doesn't include shipping from you to Joe, add another $50.00 or so for shipping to Joe. Of course, you could always save some money on shipping by having McMillan ship your new stock directly to Joe Ducos, but I always want to receive and inspect the stock before modifying it (once modified, you own it), and it isn't inconceivable that McMillan could send you the wrong stock and/or said stock is defective and/or missing parts). If you have McMillan ship directly to Joe Ducos, you might not discover a problem in time.

Finally, McMillan's "Single Screw Clampbar" cheekpiece hardware functions and looks similar to the KMW ACH. However, there are definite differences that make the KMW ACH superior. (If you look at McMillan's "Single Screw Clampbar", you'll notice that the Clamp sits below flush in the Buttstock, and a large rectangular recess allows McMillan's non-flush cheekpiece hardware on the bottom of the cheekpiece to reside within the recess when the cheekpiece isn't raised-up). And unless they're filled-in, two (2) holes remain on the top of the cheekpiece from the hardware install where water and debris can enter the stock. With KMW ACH installs, there are two (2) holes on the bottom, which don't show. You can fill them in, but they allow water and debris to exit the stock so I leave them.

I love McMillan stocks (I have four), but their adjustable cheekpiece hardware setups just aren't as "clean" as the KMW ACH. Because of this I accept the extra steps and lead-time of ordering my adjustable stocks from McMillan as specified above, then shipping them to Joe Ducos to have Joe install the Loggerhead in them. I have three McMillans' with the KMW ACH in them, (two A5s' and one A3), and they are awesome. Below are four photos of my euroOptic Sako Quad Special Edition. Like my A5s', my A3 has McMillan's Spacer System LOP, KMW ACH, Machined-in Pillars, two Left Side Flush Cup Bases, and a 10" Anschutz Rail. Riding in the Anschutz Rail is an ACCU-SHOT BT28 Rail that I can attach picatinny type bipods to. The photos below show an ADM (American Defense Manufacturing) AD-BP-P2 picatinny adapter mated to a Harris BRM-S with KMW Gen 2 Poc-Loc. I previously used Larue LT706+BRM-S bipods with KMW Gen 2 Pod-Locs' but changed all of my picatinny mount Harris bipods' to ADM AD-BP-P2s' because ADM's AutoLoc is tool less.

euroOptic Sako Quad Special Edition:

10" Anschutz Rail & ATLAS BT28 Picatinny Rail with TorX Screws CeraKoted Graphite Black:

Keith

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back