1. For reasons unknown to us at SCC, it seems that SCC members who are AT&T users experience issues with emails and personal messages when using our forum. This is not unique to SCC and several other internet sites are reporting the same issues. Todo10, the company who helps us with the forum and hosting, have file a complaint with AT&T but we are not convinced AT&T will do anything about it. The only way around this is to register and use another email address not connected to AT&T. We are sorry for any inconveniences this might cause! Please check this link for more info: https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Email-Security/Blocked-Domain-Email-or-IP-address-Questions-and-Discussion/td-p/4961060/page/28 More info will come when we know more! With kind regards Jim aka L61R
    Dismiss Notice

Sako P72 22. Cal.

Discussion in 'Sako Rimfires and Small Action Rifles' started by Johnny twshoes, Jul 19, 2017.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Johnny twshoes

Johnny twshoes Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Hey guys, I recently got engaged and have no choice, but to part ways with my beloved P72. I'm clueless as to how to accomplish this feat though without losing my hat. The local gunsmith said to talk to Sako collectors to get a good idea on the interest of this model.

So, without stepping on toes, or breaking forum rules, does anyone have a good idea on the market for one.

Thank you all ahead of time!

2. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Very collectable. If you have an early one with a lacquered stock, that is even more desirable in my opinion. Recently, forum members have strayed away from giving values. I understand all the viewpoints. If you want to sell it, the best way is to do it here, please do so using the Private Message function.......or place your rifle on one of the auction sites and let it run for a week or two. Start it at a penny $.01, you might be surprised as to what it sells for.

good luck !
    DeerGoose

3. enotstehw

enotstehw Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Mexico
    State/Region:
    US Hawaii
    The day . . . I have to sell a gun, to come up with some cash, to spend on a women will never come.
    The best time of the year to sell a gun is from Jan 1 to March 1.
    The worst time of the year to sell a gun is from May 1 to Oct 1.
    Post a photo of the beast and I will appraise it for you.
    I just happen to have 3 P72's.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  4. Johnny twshoes

Johnny twshoes Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    IMG_0934.JPG IMG_0933.JPG IMG_0935.JPG Thank you guys for the responses, I appreciate the wisdom.

Enotstehw, trust me parting ways with a great rifle is never easy, but I can't justify holding onto when I've got more important things on my plate. It truly has been an amazing rifle to own.

5. Foxhunter223

Foxhunter223 Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Hi Johnny,
    I think that you should post some pictures of your girl friend so the collective can make a judgement on which you should keep. That is one beautiful Sako :)
    Pete

enotstehw likes this.
  6. enotstehw

Country Flag:
    Mexico
    State/Region:
    US Hawaii
    Johnny. . . nice photos of your beast. It has better than average wood. And it is the typical oil finish, with the Williams rear sight.

Value anywhere in the $800.00 and up range.

7. robinpeck

robinpeck Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    "The best time of the year to sell a gun is from Jan 1 to March 1.
    The worst time of the year to sell a gun is from May 1 to Oct 1."

I have never noticed this and I have bought and sold a lot of guns (sold several relatively expensive rifles in the last couple of days). Do you have a theory about these dates?

My only P72:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  8. enotstehw

Country Flag:
    Mexico
    State/Region:
    US Hawaii
    Theory ???? how about experience. I have an FFL dealer license.
    And I don't carry any new in the box factory guns. Now you are in Canada and I'm in the USA. The selling and buying patterns in Canada may and should differ to the buying and selling patterns in the USA.

So I would not try to adapt any buying and selling techniques that work in another country, with different laws, and different cultural customs.

9. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Seasonal demand for "guns" varies not only with the location but with the type of firearm.

For the most part it is true that the Summer months are the slowest for all types of sporting firearms. Shotguns begin to pick up around the last two weeks of August in areas that open the dove season September 1. Hunting rifles take an upturn shortly after that and are usually in fairly good demand until Christmas. There is always a little flurry of demand right after Christmas, which probably reflects spending of Christmas gift money. Varmint and target rifles seem to increase in demand after the game hunting seasons are over (around the first of the year), then fall off sharply along with all other sporting arms when school lets out for the summer.

These are broad generalities and apply to much of the U.S., but as Sam Rayburn said of politics, everything is local.

Handgun and black rifle demand varies more with socio-political events and trends than with seasons.

10. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    March and April can be good months too, with the upcoming spring shooting seasons nationwide (turkeys and varmints), and the fact that Tax Refund checks are in and to be cashed, providing folding money that is burning up in the pockets of gun starved Americans !! love it.

DeerGoose

11. robinpeck

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    Apparently there is actually a lot of "theory."

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    stonecreek likes this.
  12. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Yes, but the theory is only as to the "why". The seasonal variation in demand is something that has been observed and the theory or theories (hypotheses, more accurately) are attempts to explain it.

By the way, I just got through reading the Sunday paper. Two large sporting goods chains had ad inserts in it -- Dick's and Academy. Neither had any guns, ammunition, or hunting clothes advertised. But in about three weeks both will be full of promotions for shotguns, shells, and camo. It doesn't take a marketing genius to know that the gun sales in each of these stores for June and July will be much smaller than for August and September.

13. NPhillips

NPhillips Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    I definitely agree that the summer months are very slow for sales, however, I good deal is never refused at any time. Like my recently acquired Finnwolf for $1200...mawahahahahah ;)

robinpeck and deergoose like this.
  14. robinpeck

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    I think the best days to buy and sell guns are Thursday and Friday.