• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako L61R Magnum/Sako AV Magnum Stock Compatibility

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I have an old Sako AV fiberglass stock from the 1980's that could use some reconditioning, I believe it was produced by McMillan. The action/stock combination was an AV 584XXX. 1981-1985

I am wondering if a Sako L61R 18XXX 1962-1973 will fit the take off stock without modifications?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Yes, sort of. Your early L61R will have a more slender barrel, meaning that the barrel channel will be a bit oversized. This is only a matter of cosmetics assuming you don't mind the barrel free floating. Or, you could glass in the barrel.

The action tang (where the rear action screw attaches to the action) is also shorter on the L61R so there will be a gap of about 1/4" of extra inletted space behind the tang. People often fill this with epoxy and color it to match the stock.

Yes, sort of. Your early L61R will have a more slender barrel, meaning that the barrel channel will be a bit oversized. This is only a matter of cosmetics assuming you don't mind the barrel free floating. Or, you could glass in the barrel.

The action tang (where the rear action screw attaches to the action) is also shorter on the L61R so there will be a gap of about 1/4" of extra inletted space behind the tang. People often fill this with epoxy and color it to match the stock.

Thanks for the quick response, is there much of a difference in quality from the L61R to the 81-85 AV? I have seen some posts regarding transition to CNC equipment after my action was made, but not much else.

There are one of each on Ebay as we speak. You might want to have a look.

rick
Thanks Rick,

I was asking whether there is much difference in quality from the L61R and the early AV action. Currently the AV action has been blue printed and barrel installed. It is currently sitting in a brand new McMillan stock. I am contemplating starting another one using the old McMillan take off stock and an unused L61R action.

All of Sako's actions in the L- and A- series were of high quality. "Blueprinting" a Sako action doesn't typically result in any measurable benefit. If you have a new Sako L61R action you are a lucky guy. With a good barrel and well-fitted stock you're ready to go.

So, if I understand well and, apart from the barrel channel due to different barrel contours, stocks are interchangeable between L61, AIII, AV and L691 right ?
This is nice because you can swap stocks between a worn out unit with a nice stock and a gun in better condition but with a damaged or nicked stock.

stocks are interchangeable between L61, AIII, AV and L691 right ?
No, the L691 has a different recoil lug and maybe a somewhat different footprint. I'm not sure if a stock for the earlier model could be adapted, but I wouldn't want to try it.

You can use an AV stock on an L61R or AIII but it will have a gap behind the action tang. An L61R or AIII stock would have to have the area behind the tang inletted for the longer tang of the AV.

Back