1. For reasons unknown to us at SCC, it seems that SCC members who are AT&T users experience issues with emails and personal messages when using our forum. This is not unique to SCC and several other internet sites are reporting the same issues. Todo10, the company who helps us with the forum and hosting, have file a complaint with AT&T but we are not convinced AT&T will do anything about it. The only way around this is to register and use another email address not connected to AT&T. We are sorry for any inconveniences this might cause! Please check this link for more info: https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Email-Security/Blocked-Domain-Email-or-IP-address-Questions-and-Discussion/td-p/4961060/page/28 More info will come when we know more! With kind regards Jim aka L61R
    Dismiss Notice

Sako L579 244 Remington

Discussion in 'Show us all your beautiful Sakos!' started by kirkbridgershooters, Nov 28, 2017.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    I bought a L57 a few weeks ago in 244 and found a L579 in 244. These have got to be rare. Both are in excellent condition and appear unfired when I got them...

thumbnail_IMG_4099.jpg thumbnail_IMG_4100.jpg thumbnail_IMG_4101.jpg thumbnail_IMG_4103.jpg thumbnail_IMG_4107.jpg thumbnail_IMG_4109.jpg

pakula likes this.

2. Sakogun

Sakogun Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Congrats, you sure lucked out!

3. sws1213

sws1213 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Good job Kirk! How do you do it???

4. kirkbridgershooters

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    I keep looking everywhere I can think of and once in awhile you hit a grand slam. The last 4 were from the same guy; 22 Hornet, 218 Bee, L57 244 and now the L579 244. They weren't cheap, but you can't pass up these guns...

5. sws1213

sws1213 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I had a 244 deluxe several years ago, unfortunately the Texas drought was almost the kiss of death for my business and I reluctantly sold it and several other nice Sakos. Fortunately it went to one of our members, so I know it's in good hands. Still hurts though!

6. Branxhunter

Branxhunter Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Very nice Kirk. That blueing! You could drown in it!

Marcus

7. NPhillips

NPhillips Active Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    So was it ever figured out what action was more rare in .244, the L57 or L579?

8. kirkbridgershooters

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    I would like to know that myself, and how many were made...

9. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Several people have queried as to how many .244's were produced, so I took some time to scan through the shipping records to see if I could determine that.

I found a total of 463 L57's in .244. This is of all configurations since the shipping records during this period did not differentiate between sporter, deluxe, HB, etc.

I found a total of 436 L579's in .244. Again, this is of all configurations. The last were shipped in 1962, and the final two were listed as in inventory but unshipped as of 1963. I found no other .244's through the 1966 records, but there is a slim possibility of a handful turning up in even later years as we've seen with some other Sakos.

I have personally run across more L579's than L57's in this caliber, but it is possible that is a result of geography and where each model was shipped. Regardless, the number of each model chambered in .244 appears very close to equal -- and very scarce. For comparison, there were fewer .244's of all configurations made over about 6 years than the 1,000 50th Anniversary model made only in 1972.

Regard these numbers as preliminary since it will take several hours to audit this count to assure its accuracy. However, I believe it to be close, if not exact.

It would take a much more extensive search of some 50,000 serial numbers in the inspection records to determine how many of each configuration were built. Such a search would take days, but the results would be interesting.

NPhillips likes this.
  10. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    BTW: I own an L57 .244 sporter, an L57 .244 Deluxe, and an L579 .244 HB. I knew I was lucky to have these, but didn't realize how lucky until I found the shipping figures.

NPhillips likes this.