1. For reasons unknown to us at SCC, it seems that SCC members who are AT&T users experience issues with emails and personal messages when using our forum. This is not unique to SCC and several other internet sites are reporting the same issues. Todo10, the company who helps us with the forum and hosting, have file a complaint with AT&T but we are not convinced AT&T will do anything about it. The only way around this is to register and use another email address not connected to AT&T. We are sorry for any inconveniences this might cause! Please check this link for more info: https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Email-Security/Blocked-Domain-Email-or-IP-address-Questions-and-Discussion/td-p/4961060/page/28 More info will come when we know more! With kind regards Jim aka L61R
    Dismiss Notice

Sako L461 .20-222 - new stock

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by Branxhunter, Oct 6, 2017.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Branxhunter

Branxhunter Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    I sent away the Hatcher 'English Classic' varmint stock on my .20-222 to get pillar bedded about 6 weeks ago. The LGS rang me yesterday to say it had come back from the gunsmith so on my way home from work I dropped by and picked it up. I re-mounted the scope and headed out to my range to re-zero it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the first shot to zero (was ~2" further to the right) these were the next three shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm very happy with how it has come together.

Marcus

topgear and Unclekax like this.

2. ricksengines

ricksengines Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Hi Marcus

That sure is a beautiful rig. Shoots like a bandit for the first go. It should shoot better once you tune the load.
    Did you farm out any of the work that needed to be done to complete the build or did you do some of it yourself? I'm asking because I don't remember any of the members talking about doing any of the serious work associated with a build. I would like to see some members come forward if they do chambering or some of the more complicated/intense work.

A while back I promised to post some pics of the lathes in my shop. I'm getting ready to chamber a PacNor barrel to 14 Walker Hornet so I'll post some pics of that operation once I get the 13 SBL setup for the job. Hopefully some here will find it interesting. My build is using a Ruger 77/22 All Weather rifle in 22 Hornet as the sacrificial lamb. A Sako Hornet was just out of the question. Already pulled the barrel on the little Ruger. PTG is shipping the reamer hopefully this week so I should have the setup ready to go in about two weeks as I want to check alignment of the 6-jaw Buck and the Tailstock before I start the chamber job. I have all of the other tools needed on hand so other than the setup the work should go very smoothly.

rick

3. Cali

Cali Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Vermont
    Nice piece of lumber and good group. Once you get over 4K FPS accuracy sometimes gets a little iffy but it looks like you leaped that hurdle. Nice rifle.

4. Branxhunter

Branxhunter Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Hi Rick.

While I do have a couple of friends in my home town with engineering workshops I don't have any skills or experience with lathes or mills, so haven't done any of that work myself. I admire those that have both the gear and the ability to nurse it.

The .14WH will be a project I watch with interest. I have quite a good magazine article here (from the now defunct 'Guns & Game' magazine) on the Walker hornet - send me a PM with your email address if you would like a copy. What is access to cleaning rods/bruches'jags and projectiles like over there in the US?

Marcus

5. sako 22 250

sako 22 250 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Looks great Marcus and it shoots
    Got to be happy with that,the foxes in the area will be getting nervous
    Cheers Mark

6. topgear

topgear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Looking good. Are you going to get it checkered? It’s a nice looking stock;)