1. For reasons unknown to us at SCC, it seems that SCC members who are AT&T users experience issues with emails and personal messages when using our forum. This is not unique to SCC and several other internet sites are reporting the same issues. Todo10, the company who helps us with the forum and hosting, have file a complaint with AT&T but we are not convinced AT&T will do anything about it. The only way around this is to register and use another email address not connected to AT&T. We are sorry for any inconveniences this might cause! Please check this link for more info: https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Email-Security/Blocked-Domain-Email-or-IP-address-Questions-and-Discussion/td-p/4961060/page/28 More info will come when we know more! With kind regards Jim aka L61R
    Dismiss Notice

Sako Action Specs for threaded barrel

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by tlewis0342, Feb 17, 2010.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. tlewis0342

tlewis0342 Member

I have inherited a new Hart SS 30-06 Akley Improved barrel. It is threaded for the Winchester action which is 1"X16 tpi. Of course I want to build it on a Sako action. Does anyone in the Sako Nation know which model Sako's are threaded 1"x16tpi?

2. barreltwister

barreltwister Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    the L579/AII is 1" x 16 tpi.........action is too short for a 30-06 though......I know an AV thread is about 1.04 x 16 tpi...maybe the L61R is 1"?..never had a barrel off an L61R

If the shank on your barrel is long enough it could be cut back and rethreaded and rechambered.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    tlewis,
    I'm quite certain all of the measurements on Sako are metric. Sometimes, when doing a conversion from metric to inches you may run into an overlap that's very close. However, once it gets close to the receiver it will start to seize up on you. Most of my Sako's are L61R's and I'm quite sure, again, that it won't work. Mostly, SAE and Metric do not get along with each other.
    How long is the barrel? Twister's idea would work, but no doubt involve a little money :sad2:.
    FWIW,
    S-A

4. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    tlewis0342-The A series and the 75 series should fit the L61R recievers (1.04 in16) unless they are the very early ones of three digit serial numbers (1 in 16"). So there is your answer BUT, I don't know the cutoff date when they went to a larger size. -Mike

5. tlewis0342

tlewis0342 Member

Twister's idea would be my best bet with a good gunsmith. But, I think that my best bet is to find a buyer for the Hart barrel, get a Sako action, and build from there. I really appreciate all of the info provided. Now, I understand that barrel/action matching is not simple...especially trying to work metric and english measurements!

6. barreltwister

Country Flag:
    Canada
    Sakos are not metric.

The ones I've barreled are L461/AI @ .875 x 16 tpi, L579/AII @ 1" x 16 tpi and AV's @ 1.04 x 16 tpi.

75's and 85's as well as Tikka T3's are 1" x 16 tpi.

I have take offs from an L461 and a T3 at the shop. I'll measure them over wires and get back to you guys.
    I also have one from an M995 and that one is metric.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  7. Johan Lindh

Johan Lindh Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Smaaland
    Are you shure they are not 22x1.5, 25x1.5 and 26x1.5 which all are standard metric fine (MF) threads. The difference of 1/16 and 1.5 mm/turn is 6 thou over an inch.

The M995 has a 27x1.5 thread.

8. barreltwister

Country Flag:
    Canada
    They are not 1.5mm pitch.

I've chucked them up and checked movement with one turn of the barrel, it's .0625. A 16 tpi pitch gauge fits perfectly.

1.5mm is .059055...a difference of more than .003 per turn is easy to see. Over 8 turns a 1.5mm pitch would move only .47244" axially while the 16 tpi would move an even half inch of course.
    A difference of ~.0275, or almost a half turn.

When threaded 16 tpi they fit perfectly.

Johan Lindh likes this.