• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako A7 Big Game

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

d500lnn

Can anyone tell me about these rifles or what one is worth? I'm thinking about buying one from a guy and it seems to have been shot very little(less than 20 times) and is in great condition. Any ejection issues like some of the 85'sPlease advise with any info.

Thanks

d500lnn

The A7 was Sako's economy model made to compete, from a price standpoint, with the Remchesters. The action is a round top that accepts scope ring bases as it has no dovetails. Nice all weather hunting rifle that has a reputation for excellent out of the box accuracy. Recommendations I have heard is to dump the aluminum Weaver style bases that come with the rifle & get some steel ones for best accuracy. Not sure if the "Big Game" moniker was added for the Cabelas offerings only or not. Seems I've seen them listed for a tad over $1000 for NIB, but prices may vary. Only complaint I've heard is the magazine can be difficult to get in & out on some if not fitted right, but I don't suspect that is common. Local gun shop has one NIB on consignment in 300 Win Mag one can buy for $925 + shipping + transfer fees.

The A-7 seems to me to be marketed to shooters who would be satisfied with a Mossberg but want a more upscale name on their rifle. Perhaps this is too severe a judgment, but guns made with molded plastic and metal finishes that could pass for black paint all seem pretty much the same, and all will shoot well within minute-of-whitetail, so why not save a bundle and just buy the Mossberg?

(Attention everyone, this is Stonecreek's better angel speaking. I apologize in advance for Stone's harsh tone -- and freely admit his prejudices. If the qualities found in the classic Sakos of yesteryear aren't important to a shooter that doesn't mean that the shooter himself is somehow inferior. Sometimes Stone just feels compelled to take to the pulpit and deliver a sermon. Pay no attention and take no offense;)).

Last edited:
True, but we all said the same thing when groaning about the M72. But I had to have one, often wondered why I bought it, but now love it as much as the others. Just think how crappy rifles will be 20 years from now, and it's easy to imagine that one day we will love these pseudo-Sakos as much as we do the M72s today. But back to the present, I would much sooner spend 700 bucks on a Tikka than 1000 dollars on a Sako A7. If the A7 is worth the extra money, I'm not seeing where. Remember that it is claimed that Tikkas and Sakos get barrels pulled from the same bins.

stone,

I hear what your saying. But an A7 is nothing close to a Mossberg. I was looking moreso for information like was provided by Paul. I'm actually looking for a little less expensive rifle in a 270. I will rarely hunt with the cartridge, but I think the caliber has a spot in every gun safe. I have a good friend with a tecomate a7 in 270 wsm. It shoots as well as any older more distinguished Sako rifle we have between us.

Thanks for the feedback.

Not sure if the A7 has changed over the years or comes in more configurations than I have seen. But, the few I have handled were stainless with a nice finish & in a very solid quality synthetic, not "plastic" stock. Seemed a very serviceable hunting rifle & from what others have said accurate as well. Whether they are worth what they are priced at is a matter of opinion, but they are less than half what a new Model 85 costs. They are not in the class of the classic Sakos we drool over, but they are not marketed that way & were never intended to be their equal. If I needed a dependable rifle to take on a rough & tumble hunt that would possibly damage a "prized" Sako, the A7 would be worth consideration over a Remchester.

I bought the A7, should have it in a week or so. We'll see how it does. I look forward to shooting it. I'll post results for those who are interested.....not you stonecreek. I know I should have just as well purchased a savage, Mossberg or Ruger American;)

My memory may have failed me again about the A7 being stainless. Saw one @ a local pawn that was blue, so sorry if I misinformed anyone. Or, maybe they came both ways???

They may have came both ways. Mine is stainless. It's one of the "older" models. The new ones really do have a cruddy very flimsy stock. You can actually end the forend on the new models. I do see what stonecreek is saying about the A7 with all the plastic parts. Still like the rifle and its a great "inexpensive" firearm. Should shoot it in next couple weeks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 7
I have had three of the A7's, one with the original Sako stock, it shot very well - but stock was not great. I have had two of the Cabela's versions with stainless fluted barrels and very nice B&C synthetic stocks with aluminum bedding block. Excellent rifles for the money with a very slick 3 lug action and nice straight line feed clips. The clips are designed to only release by putting upward pressure at front of clip - then hit release button. This prevents accidental clip dis-engagement. Very nice and accurate for the money. Maybe not as nice as an 85, but for the money in my mind a better value for a hunting rifle.

Latest posts

Back