• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako A11 Deluxe .243 Win

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Good point about how benchrest accuracy is almost irrelevant to hunting accuracy. Consider the following example.

You have two rifles, one capable of 1.5 MOA accuracy from the bench and the second .50 MOA.

And let's say that, with a perfect rifle (0 MOA), you are capable of 3 MOA--that is, your own personal accuracy.

What is the accuracy potential of the two rifles when you are shooting them?

With the 1.5 MOA rifle, your effective accuracy is 3.35 MOA, and with the .50 MOA rifle, your effective accuracy is 3.04 MOA. So no really practical difference in the field under normal hunting conditions.

And personal accuracy of 3 MOA (keeping all shots in 3" at 100 yds.) is better than most are capable of. If your personal accuracy is more like 4 MOA, the effective field accuracy of a 1.5 MOA gun is 4.27 MOA and of a .50 MOA gun, 4.03 MOA--a completely inconsequential 1/4" difference at 100 yds

On the other hand, there are some guys like me for whom shooting tight groups from the bench is really important in its own right--quite apart from how it translates (or doesn't as shown above) into effective accuracy in the field. Maybe just knowing that your rifle is capable of .50 MOA accuracy gives you confidence in the field! ;)

Indeed, a very good point you have made. In practical terms while out hunting the success of the shot depends more on the hunter than we care to acknowledge. I have failed to pull the trigger many, many times
because I was not confident of a successful shot and it does not bother me. A good rifle properly zeroed is the first critical step for me. My own skill must then ensure the successful shot.

One constant shooters seem to overlook is the fact that any given rifle shooting any sized group, the bullet impact is only half the group size from the aiming point. A rifle that shoots a 3 inch group at 200 yards, is still only 1.5 inches from point of aim in worst case.

In a hunting rifle it is far more important that it place the first shot from a cold barrel reasonably close to zero than that the group be very small. After all, it is always the first shot at game which is the most important.

Think of it this way: If a rifle's first shot from a cold barrel is always within, say, an inch of point of aim, then it doesn't much matter if the rest of the group is one, two, or even four inches. Second and third shots at game are typically offhand and at a running target. The least variable factor in such a situation is "accuracy" as defined by group size. That's why I always attempt to check a hunting rifle's zero with the first shot from a cold barrel to assure that it is on target -- a small group from subsequent shots is just a bonus.

Of course, this applies only to rifles used for hunting game and not to rifles used for things like shooting colony varmints where nearly all shots are with a warm barrel. In this instance it is more important to have a rifle with which its zero doesn't wander as the barrel heats.

Latest posts

Back