• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako A1 6 PPC Repeaters

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

South Pender

Does anyone recall what barrel contours the Sako A1 6 PPC repeater models were made with? I suspect that there may have been a heavy-barrel option (like the single-shot 6 PPCs), but was there also a lighter-barrel version as well (or maybe instead of)?

The only PPC's I've seen on an A-1 action have been sporter barrel repeaters. All of the heavy barrels I've seen have been on the "medium" actions. If there was a heavy barrel made on a short action then I'm unaware of it.

But then there are lots of things I'm unaware of.:(

The only PPC's I've seen on an A-1 action have been sporter barrel repeaters. All of the heavy barrels I've seen have been on the "medium" actions. If there was a heavy barrel made on a short action then I'm unaware of it.

But then there are lots of things I'm unaware of.:(

But you're excluding the heavy-barrel single-shot 6 PPCs, right? Like the one I showed in a post on the other sub-forum:
i2BdK9Ll.jpg

I had assumed that it was on the A-1 action. The printed materials that came with it listed it as "Sako L 461," Serial No. B502 (which I interpreted as indicating that it was built in the second year of production of these rifles). So maybe a late L461 action (with the full bolt shroud) or actually an A-1 action (just using the already-printed little booklet with L461 on the front).

Gents,

All of the PPC's were on short AI actions......both sporter and single-shot heavy barrel.

Also, the first sporters had a skinnier barrel profile than later production. Rumor....was that there were some accuracy concerns, leading to fattening the profile a bit.

edit: Seems that Sako didn't update their paperwork as often as they maybe should have.

Last edited:
Gents,

All of the PPC's were on short AI actions......both sporter and single-shot heavy barrel.

Also, the first sporters had a skinnier barrel profile than later production. Rumor....was that there were some accuracy concerns, leading to fattening the profile a bit.

edit: Seems that Sako didn't update their paperwork as often as they maybe should have.

That's really interesting, kevinlg. My purpose in posting was to determine whether the barrel on a 6 PPC repeater that's up for sale was original. It had what looked, from the picture, like a fairly light contour, and my first thought was that the Sako A1 action had been rebarreled. But, from what you and stonecreek have said, along with some later pictures, it is clear that it has the original Sako barrel.

The Serial Number reads AI 183127. Is there any way to determine when it was made and whether it is an earlier- or later-production model?

Gents,

Kevin: I was thinking of the Model 75's, which were on the "medium" length action, the III, I believe, although I'm not sure if it was marked that way. At any rate, it was the same basic action as the 243/308 in the M75.

I'm almost positive that I've also seen an HB PPC on an A-II action. But "old fart's disease" can cause you to remember things that ain't so just like it can cause you to forget things that are.

Below is a photo with four 6mm PPC's in it. Second from top is a M75 HB Stainless laminated and third from top is the same in blue/walnut. You can clearly see that they are on larger actions than the fourth, which is an A-I Deluxe repeater, and the bottom one which is an A-I Hunter repeater.

Belton Auction 003 (1280x986).jpg

I can't believe it! I found a close up photo of that HB Stainless in the photo above and it is marked as a III action:

6PPC HB SS 004 (1024x656).jpg

And here's the blue one, too.
Rangers June 13 and Walnut HB PPC 010 (640x189).jpg

Last edited:
By the way, the two Model 75-III Heavy Barrel 6mm PPC's were both repeaters with detachable magazines:

Rangers June 13 and Walnut HB PPC 008 (1024x390).jpg

Kevin: I was thinking of the Model 75's, which were on the "medium" length action, the III, I believe, although I'm not sure if it was marked that way. At any rate, it was the same basic action as the 243/308 in the M75.

I'm almost positive that I've also seen an HB PPC on an A-II action. But "old fart's disease" can cause you to remember things that ain't so just like it can cause you to forget things that are.

Below is a photo with four 6mm PPC's in it. Second from top is a M75 HB Stainless laminated and third from top is the same in blue/walnut. You can clearly see that they are on larger actions than the fourth, which is an A-I Deluxe repeater, and the bottom one which is an A-I Hunter repeater.

View attachment 7568

I can't believe it! I found a close up photo of that HB Stainless in the photo above and it is marked as a III action:

View attachment 7569

And here's the blue one, too.
View attachment 7570

Looks as if "old fart's disease" (from which I suffer) has not been a factor at all!:) Great finds, stonecreek.

The barrel contour on the two A-I 6 PPCs looks very light, at least as far as I can tell from the pictures. Seems lighter than a #4 contour, but I could be wrong about that. I wonder how well those A-I lighter-barrel repeaters shot. I have one in my sights, but am hesitating b/c of the barrel weight.

Last edited:
Uh........ooooops!.....sorry about that.

As Stone knows, any Sako younger than the A series........is not on my radar....i.e. the 75's etc.

Also.......Weaver bases. :)

As Stone knows, any Sako younger than the A series........is not on my radar....i.e. the 75's etc.
I think that's the case for many of us kevinlg;)

the fourth, which is an A-I Deluxe repeater,
That would have to be a pretty rare rifle Stonecreek.

South Pender - there was definitely a sporter weight repeater profile rifle as there was a gun writer out here that had one - John Robinson, who wrote a few articles on it and used it for a fair bit of hunting. From memory it shot pretty well.

I think that's the case for many of us kevinlg;)

That would have to be a pretty rare rifle Stonecreek.

South Pender - there was definitely a sporter weight repeater profile rifle as there was a gun writer out here that had one - John Robinson, who wrote a few articles on it and used it for a fair bit of hunting. From memory it shot pretty well.

topgear.
have a blue 6mm ppc sporter barrel from a 75 series, it has std sako open sights fitted !
susanna.

South Pender :

I have a 6mm PPC AI Hunter. The barrel is 22.5 inches long and measures 0.592" at the muzzle. Provided that the gun you are looking at is in good condition, I would not be concerned about the accuracy potential. I have only ever heard good things about the accuracy of the AI Hunter PPC's from other owners that I infrequently cross paths with, and my 6mm PPC shoots better than any other rifle that I own. (My other rifles include Heavy Barrel SAKOs in 22-250 and .222)

The 6mm PPC hits with considerably more authority than the .223 or .222. I base this statement on several seasons of Groundhog hunting. Groundhogs squarely hit with the 6mm PPC never made it down their hole. Groundhogs hit with .222's and .223's sometimes did make it into their holes.

Short stubby 6mm PPC cartridges feed reliably in my AI Hunter, but I would not say that they feed smoothly. That is really the only real comparitive negative about the 6mm PPC chambering.

The 6mm PPC AI Hunters have 1/14" Barrel Twists. Long bullets will not shoot well. My standard Groundhog load used 65 gr. Hornady VMAX bullets, and bullets longer than this did not do well in my accuracy testing. Model 75 6mm PPCs have a quicker 1/12" Twist Rate, and will stabilize longer bullets.

In my opinion, the 6mm PPC AI Hunters are one of the best factory "Walking Varminters" ever made. Even though my wife strongly believes that I have too many guns already, if I ever find another one for sale in good condition, I will be buying it and braving the consequences.

regards,

rollinghills

17-PPCcoyote.jpg
In the mid 90's I found an AI 6PPC Hunter.......and made it into a 17PPC coyote rifle. I know........unforgivable........but, it works very well.

Last edited:
Gents,

My Varmint/Target 6mm PPC is nearly new, has a heavy barrel, is single shot, and has an adjustable trigger. The only markings on the receiver are "SAKO A xxx". There is no A-1, just the "A" followed by a space and then the 3 digit serial number. Can someone tell me what it is

Latest posts

Back