Sako 8x60

Discussion in 'Sako Mausers, Hi-Powers and Magnum Mausers' started by topgear, Jul 29, 2015.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. topgear

topgear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Hi Guys

In the famous Rock Island Auction it was stated that there was only three 8x60 sako mausers produced.

sako8x60.JPG

Pretty easily I can find four for sale at present.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Sako-Mauser-x/1392362.uts

http://www.laatuase.fi/index.php?pr...lypage_new.tpl&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

https://www.tradeexcanada.com/node/16980

http://ase-ami.fi/?item=477

So did they get this wrong in regards to production numbers on the 8x60? or have I just found the only three factory produced 8x60 and one re-barrel ? :p

Must say their not a bad looking rifle these old sako mausers.

2. L61R

L61R SCC President SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    topgear, there are several erroneous statements in that catalog.

I have owned another 8x60 and they pop up ever so often here in Sweden.

Jim

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    As Jim says, simply an erroneous statement in the catalog (one among others).

I notice that two of the rifles in the links have wing safeties in the usual place on the left, but two of them have the wing safety in a somewhat unusual place on the right. I can't recall ever seeing this RH wing safety on a Sako-Mauser previously (but maybe I just wasn't paying attention.)

I've been led to believe that although Sako simply stamped these "8x60" that they are actually the 8x60S, with a .323" bore. Does anyone know for certain? By the way, I found a box of new, unfired Norma 8x60S brass at a local gun show a little while back which I bought for five bucks. I have no 8x60 to use it in, but who can pass up a deal like that?

4. L-46

L-46 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Yes the 8x60 was chambered in both 'S' and 'J' bore.
    Maybe the 'S' bore is not as common mostly found in the US, and most of what you see in Scandinavia is the 'J' bore.
    Do not believe everything you read about doing lead casts etc, just measure your bore groove diameter with a good set of verniers.

L-46

5. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    L46: Were the Sako 8x60 and 8x60S marked differently, or do you just have to measure the bore to determine which you have? U.S. sellers are not particularly sophisticated about European metric cartridge designations and all of the (few) Sako's I've seen listed for sale -- but never seen in person -- have just been represented as "8x60" -- although they might have had an "s" appended but not mentioned by the clueless seller.

Do you know if Sako ever built an 8x60 of either type on the L61R action? I suspect that they did; whether they were ever put into commercial distribution is another question.

6. L-46

L-46 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    SC,
    I am far from versed with the Hi power's, only from what i have seen over the years. We have the odd 270 here and a few odd ones pop up every 5 years or so.
    I have never handled an 8x60 in 'S' bore, but from what i have been told over the years neither where stamped to indicate bore size. Both 8x60 'J' bores i have owned at different times, did not show any different.
    If i remember correctly, i formed the cases from 30-06 brass in two easy steps.
    As we know the 'J' bore came from the strong German influence and continued into this model for what ever reason.
    I different countries people shared their patriotism in different ways, i can see that in Finland, post war, anything military based or of origin shared an elevated potential. Where as in Australia anyone owning a service rifle for hunting was to poor to afford anything better.
    I have never seen an 8x60 in a L61, but they did produce some small numbers of odd calibres.
    Jim will know more on this.
    I was also thinking it interesting that at this time, Sako was chambering rifles in 8x54R, 8x57, 8x60J, 8x60S, just in 8mm!

L-46

7. topgear

topgear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
  8. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I'll agree that's a cool caliber, and not often seen. I still wonder whether these have a .318" or .323" bore? I guess that I could buy it and find out, but that's an expensive way to satisfy one's curiosity:confused:.

9. Bowne1

Bowne1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Massachusetts
    Stone/Topgear. Can you explain Timmey? Is it really a Sako action?

10. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Browne: I also noticed the Timney mark on the safety. IIRC, Timney offered a replacement safety for FN Mausers (and maybe any 98 Mauser) which switched the safety from the LH side to the RH side and also allowed lower scope mounting in some cases.

Early Sako-Mausers like this one used an FN action with the conventional firing pin safety on the bolt. Later Sako-Mausers used the Sako #4 trigger with its sliding thumb safety that blocks the trigger rather than the firing pin. So, this particular rifle appears to be an earlier Sako-Mauser on which the factory safety has been replaced with a Timney safety. Whether the trigger was also replaced is unknown.

Having a replacement safety somewhat damages the originality of the rifle, but since its condition is "shooter" grade rather than "collector" grade, anyway, that shouldn't make much difference.

11. topgear

topgear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Well haven't heard that one before as an excuse for a rifle purchase:p will have to include it on my list too!

12. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    "But honey, you just don't realize how important that .005" difference is. Eight Hundred bucks or so is a very reasonable price to find out."

Somehow, I'm not sure that one would fly with the lady of the house.

13. Coyote Down

Coyote Down Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Maine
    I have no experience with the 8mm how ever Cartridges of the World, 13th addition, lists both rimmed and rimless variations along with .318 and .323 bores. Factory loads and brass are still available - Norma and RWS. :) Looks to be a real boomer however.