• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako &.62 x39

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

underdog2

Hi there, I'm new here and have a question.
I have a Sako A1 in 7.62 x 39 , its not original in that it has a new barrel fitted previously, and possibly a custom stock as it doesn't look like any other sako I have seen, but the action appears to be factory sized ie: the bolt face and action rails haven't been opened up. Also I don't think it is a converted 6mm ppc or the like as it has an internal mag and a recess in the rear dovetail that I assume is for a pop up aperture.
I was hoping someone may be able to shed some light on its history or perhaps has a picture of what the aperture looks like, I have attempted to make one similar to a Brno unit but found it is shooting well low, before I make another something to work towards would be nice.
cheers in advance for any assistance.

Using the Factory Records Service here on the forum could probably tell you more about the actions origins (if it falls within the available records) than any speculation based on your paragraph. Sako did make the 6mm PPC in both single shot & repeater with internal mag and also made an AI in 7.62x39mm. Throw in the possibility that yours was converted from a 222 or 223 gives you three possibilities. The aperture or rear peep sight will show up for sale fairly often on Ebay, the gun sale/auction sites, & even here on the forum. They changed slightly over the years but all will fit the rear notched dovetail that all Sakos have. They generally sell in the $100 US range or slightly more. Search here under Sako Peep Sights for pics of the sight.

Welcome underdog2. Posts above should point you in the right direction. I'd love to find an original 7.62x39 in L461 or A1. I'm hoping to one day! How do you find the cartridge and what do you use it on in NZ?

Cheers John

Welcome underdog2. Posts above should point you in the right direction. I'd love to find an original 7.62x39 in L461 or A1. I'm hoping to one day! How do you find the cartridge and what do you use it on in NZ?

Cheers John
It is a great little cartridge, less fuss than .308 but still gets the job done well so it is my go to bush calibre, I have used it on rabbits, hares, possums,magpies, pigs,red deer and lots of goats it's an easy 150m round and holding on the back bone gets hits at 200m, with 238m being my longest shot on a goat like most it dropped right there. I hope to add Sika to the list one day.
The sako was my second bolt action 7.62x39 the first is a converted BSA hunter I didn't think I would ever see a mint condition sako so jumped on this one, both rifles are fairly accurate inch and a half with practically any load and better with what they like. I have lent it to lots of people for taking their first bigger game as it is about perfect for beginners. low recoil light weight and puts stuff down without being fussy.

Thanks for all the help, here is a picture of the action to show what I mean regarding a "pop up" style aperture not just the normal Sako style that fits the dovetail. And one to show the stock shape.
cheers PA200062.JPG PA200057.JPG PA200057.JPG PA200057.JPG

Mate that one is a full on custom job. Not from the Sako factory. The mill slot in the dovetail is all custom along with the bolt safety which has been added. It also looks like it might have had an aftermarket bolt handle added.
Very cool underdog2. Would love to see some action shots of it in the field if you get a chance!

That is a highly modified action, bolt & safety. If it is stamped AI then even the trigger has been changed, as the safety is now in the bolt. The stock as well as the bottom metal also appear to be custom. Like topgear said definitely a custom rifle, not a Sako. The notch cut in your rear dovetail is not compatible with the Sako peep sight.

Yes, a Sako action which has been very highly customized. I'm not at all sure why the slot has been cut in the rear dovetail (maybe one is also in the front dovetail, but the photos don't include it), but it appears to be for the purpose of using some type of custom mount. However, it looks as if the rear dovetail sides are still intact, in which case the Sako factory aperture sight would work on it. But there is no guarantee that it would be the proper height for the front sight if that is also custom.

This is about the most elaborately modified Sako action I've ever seen. It's hard to say what the builder's goals were, but he certainly put a lot of effort into this project.

Mate that one is a full on custom job. Not from the Sako factory. The mill slot in the dovetail is all custom along with the bolt safety which has been added. It also looks like it might have had an aftermarket bolt handle added.
Very cool underdog2. Would love to see some action shots of it in the field if you get a chance!

After a quick look through my hunting photos I realised I don't have any staring this Sako, I usually hunt solo and tend to take it on big walks because it doesn't weigh much, and then i'm to tired to think much about photographs after a big walk, really must take some.

The little aperture in the repeated photo is one I whipped up with a file on a quiet afternoon at work, however when I tested it I found it was hitting way low and thought I would look for inspiration for the correct shape, I think it may have had something similar to a Brno 601 pop up unit.

It came with a 1-3 weaver in Q/D rings so I think the sights idea were for back up.
as (hopefully) you can see from the photos the bolt doesn't look to have been welded or modified(apart from the spacer to increase spring tension)

Attachments

• PA250064.JPG
    PA250064.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 11
  • PA200059.JPG
    PA200059.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 12
  • PA250067.JPG
    PA250067.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 11
  • PA250070.JPG
    PA250070.JPG