1. For reasons unknown to us at SCC, it seems that SCC members who are AT&T users experience issues with emails and personal messages when using our forum. This is not unique to SCC and several other internet sites are reporting the same issues. Todo10, the company who helps us with the forum and hosting, have file a complaint with AT&T but we are not convinced AT&T will do anything about it. The only way around this is to register and use another email address not connected to AT&T. We are sorry for any inconveniences this might cause! Please check this link for more info: https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Email-Security/Blocked-Domain-Email-or-IP-address-Questions-and-Discussion/td-p/4961060/page/28 More info will come when we know more! With kind regards Jim aka L61R
    Dismiss Notice

Sako 6 PPC Question about Action

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by South Pender, Jun 18, 2017.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. South Pender

South Pender Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    I have a heavy barrel single-shot Sako 6 PPC that is new and unfired. The serial number reads: Sako PPC B 502. The materials that came with the rifle are marked L461, although the action has the bolt shroud of an A1. I'm curious about the serial number. I know that some PPCs had an A XXX number, and I'm wondering what the B 502 number signifies. I'm assuming that it is an A1 action, but wondered whether the serial number might be suggesting something else (like an S491, for example). Any thoughts on this?

One reason I ask is that the action-screw spacing seems to be just slightly longer than the 6.25" of my other Sako 6 PPC, a repeater, which is clearly an A1.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The L461 & the AI are identical except for the bolt shroud & during the transition from L461 to AI there were some actions stamped L461 that got the newer AI bolts. So, getting "materials" for a L461 with an AI would not be unexpected, as they still referred to them internally as a L461 even after the stamping change. Sako didn't waste anything. All the PPC single shots had separate 3 digit serial numbers with the letter A, B, or C prefix. The letter prefix of the serial numbers doesn't signify anything in particular that I am aware of, but it may be something Sako did to identify something internally, like what production run it was made in. The S491 came along about 15 years after yours, is a completely different action & wasn't offered in the PPC chamberings.

3. South Pender

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    Thanks, Paulson. That's very helpful. I had pretty much come to the conclusion you have provided, but was thrown a bit by what appeared to be very-slightly different action screw separation. Even the brief owner's manual marked L461 has pictures of the A1 action with the fully-shrouded bolt.

4. NPhillips

NPhillips Active Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    Hey Paul,

I have a 22ppc in a Sako S491 action...damn fine shape and an excellent shooter. I understand the action is not as desirable as the A1 though, but I'm not about to complain. Any idea why the A1 is more favourable?

Attached Files:

5. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    First PPC in a S491 I've heard of. Never say never with Sako!! The 91 series were all the same diameter in each of the three action lengths. The L & A series actions had three different diameters for the three different lengths, which made them more proportional for the cartridges they would handle.

NPhillips likes this.
  6. Foxhunter223

Foxhunter223 Active Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Sorry to tell you but I have an S491 in 6mm PPC.
    Pete

7. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    A 22 in Canada & now a 6mm in OZ. Never fails! Just about the time you think Sako didn't do something, up pops an example. First 91 series specimens I've ever heard of. Wonder if anyone in the US has one?

8. Foxhunter223

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
  9. Branxhunter

Branxhunter Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    That's a nice looking rifle foxhunter.

Marcus

10. ricksengines

ricksengines Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Unfortunately for Armslist many of the ads that appear there are scams. I'm not saying that this one is but in my experience there are a lot of people out there that put really tempting pieces on that site in an attempt to lure a potential purchaser into sending money and getting nothing. My last three inquiries turned out that way. I always ask for an escrow FFL holder to handle the transaction. I usually get a contact person and phone number that does not verify. Within a few days Armslist will send me a note stating that the ad is a scam. With sites like GunBroker out there I don't understand why people don't use it more often given this problem.

rick

11. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    People who deal in firearms seem to be unusually honest and dependable. But out of dozens of firearms transactions over the years, an ad from Armslist was the only one on which I've been burned. This was despite taking precautions such as first requiring a copy of the "seller's" drivers license and sending funds via registered mail, return receipt requested. The USPS money order was cashed but no return receipt was ever received. Talked to the "postal supervisor" at the "sellers" post office who said they would "look into" how a registered letter could be delivered to what turned out to be a vacant lot (now I put the seller's address into Google Maps to look at the actual business or residence -- hey, some of you guys live in nice houses!) USPS otherwise never responded to my complaints. As a local postmaster told me many years ago after losing an insured gun in the mail "Unfortunately, there are crooks in the post office, too."

I deleted my bookmark for Armslist and never, ever look at it, much less use it.

12. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Couple years ago I saw an add for a L46 Varmint in Texas on Armslist that I had purchased a month earlier from a different site. Same pictures & description the seller in New York used. I did some looking at other Armslist ads & found multiple scams. Contacted & exposed them to Armslist. Don't know if they did anything about it or not. I avoid Armslist like the plague.

13. Foxhunter223

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    I had no idea that was the case. That is good info to know.

Here is a link to Wikipedia and if you go down the page to the Sako Model History sheet look at 1993 for the S491. Shows all the calibres it was made in. I have just been offered a really nice Hunter model in 222 which I am saving to buy. It is owned by a friend who is holding it for me.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAKO
    Pete

14. ricksengines

ricksengines Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Hi Folks

I just thought that I would share some wisdom about using Armslist to purchase firearms. First you have to understand that Armslist is chock full of scammers. Never, never send funds to anyone that advertises a firearm on the site. Chances are more than 50/50 that you will never see the firearm or your money ever again. That said, there is a sure fire way to complete a transaction with a seller that posts there in such a way that you protect your money and assure that you are getting the firearm as advertised. Here is how to do it.

Tell the seller you want a phone number that you can use to contact them. Also tell them that they will have to identify a brick and mortar gun store near them that would be willing to act as an escrow agent to complete the sale. Explain to them how this works. They send you info on the dealer including the name of the store, the dealers phone number and address. You use this information to verify that the dealer is legit. Tell the seller that the only way this works is if the dealer agrees to act as the escrow agent on your behalf.

The deal goes like this, the seller takes the firearm to the agent, you speak directly to the dealer that has the firearm in hand and can verify that is as advertised. The dealer agrees to ship it to your FFL and also agrees to accept payment for the firearm on behalf of the seller. The dealer never loses control of the firearm once the seller presents it to him. After you are satisfied that the deal is correct, Pay the dealer using your credit card. Don't forget to include extra funds to cover the credit card fee and shipping costs to your FFL. You will also need to pay the dealer for processing the transaction on your behalf. Once the dealer gets the funds he pays the seller and ships the firearm to your dealer.

I know this process is complicated and some dealers will not want to do this but this method assures that the deal is legit and protects your money throughout the process. It also assures that you receive the firearm that you purchased. Any seller that doesn't want to play ball is a scammer. This process works and serves to ferret out the scammers and fake dealerships that they use to try to convince you that they are on the up and up. I just did one like this and the dealer turned out to be in league with the seller. It was easy to verify and the information the seller provided and as it turned out the dealer was a scammer, didn't have a store and couldn't be verified on the internet.

rick

15. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The information found there is not totally accurate for all models and shouldn't be depended upon as gospel. Dates of production and serial number ranges vary somewhat from that table, so use it only as an approximation. This is not a criticism of those who compiled the table (Sako employees themselves), simply to note that they were working from incomplete records (and anyone can add or delete information from Wikipedia, so some information may have been altered by uninformed persons).

16. South Pender

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    That's a useful article, Pete, along with the chronological listing of the various actions. I did notice one error in the list. The date for the introduction of the P94S Finnfire .22LR rifle is given as 2001, but my records show I was shooting mine in early 1999; so I'm guessing it was introduced in 1998 or possibly earlier.

17. Foxhunter223

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    I didn't think it was perfect but was only using it to show the calibres for the S491 model. Just as someone said, just when you think you have something with Sako as Black and White along comes a variable :)

Pete