Sako .244: L57 or L579?

Discussion in 'Discussions about L57, L579, AII, L581, M591 actio' started by willi, Nov 16, 2011.

1. willi

willi New Member

Hello,
    I am a new member from germany. I need a help to classify my Sako rifle. The Caliber is .244. The Number of the bottom of the magazine is 6481. I am not sure, if it is a L57 or a L579. Could me help someone?
    I have posted some photos in my Profile
    http://www.sakocollectors.com/forum/album.php?albumid=3
  2. woodman

woodman Member

Wow! I love those double set triggers. I think you might have a custom Mauser with Sako barrel. The early Sakos used mauser actions before they made the L57 but It looked different than what you have I think. This is definitely not a L57 or L579. Somebody else with more knowledge will hopefully chime in here
  3. woodman

woodman Member

I have a Krico 222 Mannlicher with those same triggers. That little screw hanging down is the adjustment for how hairy you want the pull to be. Be careful you dont loose that screw, mine was loose when I got the rifle so a little clear nail polish on the threads will secure it.
  4. bloorooster

bloorooster Moderator

Hey Willi and Welcome to the Forum.
    Your rifle is not a L57 or L579, I have never seen a Sako with a double set trigger either...The action is Mauser like but the bolt handle reminds me of the the Steyr Model M. The Sako Barrel (made in Finnland) marking is one I've never seen before either, I wonder if it is Bofors marked?...a very interesting and beautiful rifle, with a rare Caliber designation...the .244 Rem (6MM Rem) is a fantastic round, Flat shooting and hard hitting. By the looks of things she has to be a sweet shooting and accurate gun! Congratulations!....Hopefully, someone else will have more answers for you...-Bloo
  5. Your action is definitely not a Sako. It appears that a Sako stamped barrel was mated to this action as evidenced by the upside down position of the stamping. If the barrel came as original it would be on the other side & rightside up. Can't tell from the pictures what action it is for sure but it is a nice looking piece.
  6. willi

willi New Member

Thank you together for the information.

OK: Not a L57 and not a L579. Now I know a little bit more. But when it is only an original Sako Barrel mit Custom Mauser action with double set Trigger, from which sako-Riffle-Model is the barrel?
    I got the riffle from an inheritance. I only know, that the old owner bought the rifle in the beginning of the 60's. He was an enthusiast, an I could imagine, that he had create a custom-Riffle.

Is this rifle interesting for collecting? Or is it worthless?
    When it is necesarry, I send more photos. Which details you need?

(Excuse my bad english. I hope you unterstand me ...)

Best wishes
    Willi
  7. As the 244 Rem came out, I believe, in the late 1950's one would guess the rifle was rebarrelled after that. So, the barrel could be from a L57 or L579 or even an earlier Mauser action Sako. It could have been rebored as well as rechambered. It is really impossible to determine without more knowledge & information or provenance. From a Sako collector's view I doubt it has "collector" value, but may have a value in it's own right to someone else. It appears to be well done & looks to be a quality piece.
  8. stonecreek

stonecreek Well-Known Member

Your rifle is a custom rifle built on a former military '98 Mauser. It has had the bolt handle replaced with a "spoon handle" model and has been drilled and tapped to accept scope mounts. It has also had a double set trigger fitted and been retrofitted with a low wing safety to clear the mounted scope. The scope is an American-made Bausch & Lomb with externally-adjusted mounts which was made from the 1950's until the mid-1960's. These are all features common to nice custom rifles. The now barely visible numbers on the action and bottom metal are original military markings which were largely obliterated when the metal was polished and reblued. Underneath the front mount base there may remain the "crest" or markings which would indicate the factory that made the original rifle. It could be Mauser-Werke, BRNO, FN, or several others.

Sako used to offer barrels by themselves, just as it offered actions by themselves. The barrel markings indicate that it is a barrel made by Sako for the custom (rebarreling) market.

So you own a '98 Mauser sporterized and using a Sako-made barrel. While Sako DID use the FN Mauser action for "long" cartridges prior to introducing their own long action (L61r) in 1961, this is not one of those Sako rifles. It is, however, a nice example of a European-style custom Mauser.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011