1. For reasons unknown to us at SCC, it seems that SCC members who are AT&T users experience issues with emails and personal messages when using our forum. This is not unique to SCC and several other internet sites are reporting the same issues. Todo10, the company who helps us with the forum and hosting, have file a complaint with AT&T but we are not convinced AT&T will do anything about it. The only way around this is to register and use another email address not connected to AT&T. We are sorry for any inconveniences this might cause! Please check this link for more info: https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Email-Security/Blocked-Domain-Email-or-IP-address-Questions-and-Discussion/td-p/4961060/page/28 More info will come when we know more! With kind regards Jim aka L61R
    Dismiss Notice

Replacing Trigger Spring on No. 4 Trigger

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks for gunsmithing your own Sako' started by South Pender, Jun 19, 2017.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. South Pender

South Pender Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    First, I'm assuming that the usual L461 or A1 in, say, .222 Rem. has the No. 4 trigger. Is there anything to be gained by installing a lighter weight-of-pull spring in this trigger? I ask because I've done this many times with my Anschutz rimfires and have been able to reduce the pull weight down to about 10 oz. with the lightest spring available for this (from J & P Custom Products).

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    [QUOTE="South Pender, post: 64943, member: 9534" Is there anything to be gained by installing a lighter weight-of-pull spring in this trigger? [/QUOTE]
    NO!!!

3. Barry Dewick

Barry Dewick Active Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    Hi--I just bought a 222 rem vixen
    The trigger is very poor 4 lbs at best
    No amount of adjusting helps
    Any ideas or just look for a Timney ??
    Thanks barry

4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Typically, if adjusting the WOP adjustment screw doesn't reduce the pull sufficiently then it is necessary to carefully hone the internal sear surfaces of the trigger. This is not a job for an amateur. And not even for gunsmiths unfamiliar with this type of trigger. Short of finding a competent gunsmith to rework the trigger, it is likely that you can achieve a 2 to 2.5 pound trigger pull with a Timney replacement.

5. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    When you say "222 Vixen" what model Sako do you mean? The L46 with the Win Model 70 type trigger or the L461 with the Sako #4 trigger will have different adjustment techniques & limits. 222 Vixen, tells us very little about what trigger you have. I've never had or worked on a Sako with a 4 lb pull or one that couldn't be adjusted to an acceptable level for hunting purposes.

6. Barry Dewick

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    Hi sorry it s the 461 action
    I have pulled out the adj screw and spring with no real improvement
    Thanks barry

7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Sounds like something is gummed up. Try soaking the entire trigger assembly in solvent (naphtha or similar) and drying it thoroughly before remounting it.

8. Barry Dewick

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    Hi I will soak it and try again
    Thanks Barry

9. Barry Dewick

Country Flag:
    Canada