Removing Sako L61r barrel

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks for gunsmithing your own Sako' started by lopu, Jul 4, 2016.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I agree with Rick's comments. How much or how little a modification makes to the value of a Sako depends on who is buying it and for what purpose. Just as no two buyers usually agree exactly on what the price of any one original rifle should be, no two buyers agree exactly on how a modification (replaced pad, removed sight, replaced sling swivels, drilled receiver) impacts a rifle's value. Like the attractiveness of the wood, it's an "eye of the beholder" thing which varies with the beholder. There is no "right" or "wrong", merely that some buyers perception of value may vary up or down from the median more than others. That's part of what makes collecting Sakos (or any other collectible) an interesting art rather than an exact science.

2. dodgyrog

dodgyrog Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    England
    State/Region:
    UK Durham City
    I just took a barrel off of my L46 22 Hornet - I have had a barrel so tight except maybe a Lee Enfield - You would not believe the forces involved in gripping the thing properly!

3. ricksengines

ricksengines Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Did I just miss something here or did I just read that you remover a .22 Hornet barrel from an L46 action? You gotta be kidding me! What on earth for?

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Take it easy, Rick. Some of us consider barrels consumables & beings they have threads, I assume they were made to come off. If you recall, on another thread by Dodgyrog, which you participated in, he thought his Hornet barrel had gone bad & accuracy was dismal. A new barrel will bring life back to that old rifle & make it a useful tool once more. He can always screw the thing back on & make some purist collector happy.

5. ricksengines

ricksengines Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I know Paul and I agree that a barrel is a consumable. That said I would go out of my way to find another Hornet rifle to shoot before removing the barrel from a scarce as hens teeth rifle. Besides, barrels seldom come out unscathed when an attempt to remove them is made. Sorry but I just cringe at the thought.

rick