• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Recommendations for 85 scope rings

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I am trying to put together a Bavarian model 85 .300 win mag.

Are the Optilock rings the way to go? Or there some others better. I just Got the Rifle 2 days ago. I really like the fell of it and I think I am going to like the single set trigger which is new to me. But it really doesn't have the feel as the older models Sakos I have. Does anyone have any ideas on rings and even scopes.

A friend said Talley Rings are real good. But the screws on the top of the ring tightening horizontal to the rifle looked different. I am just trying to decide which would be the best.

Personally I like to keep a rifle stock, if possible. The Sako Optilock Base and Ring system (2 piece) is extremely reliable and is adjustable as well, utilizing the tapered front mount of your model 85. The polymer inserts eliminate the need for honing your rings, and leave no marks on the scope barrel, a real advantage if you decide to sell the scope later. The Sako design is a fail safe one, utilizing a stop pin, and the recoil effect can only tighten the mounts. Their Optilock Ringmount system (1 piece)is lighter, and the lowest Sako mount available. It too utilizes the stop pin for recoil control and the tapered front mount for boresighting. The most common complaints about Sako mounting systems are their weight and the limited selection of mount heights and the fact that all Sako mounts are often higher than their competitors. They are also among the most expensive mounting systems available for your gun.

Personally, I just mounted a Zeiss Conquest on a Sako Model 85, 260 Remington using the Sako Optilock Ringmounts. These are, as I said earlier, the lowest and lightest of the Sako mounts and are one piece but still incorporate the Sako stop pin for recoil control. They have a mounting height height of 27mm to centerline, and like the base/ring system are steel. Have only put 3 boxes through the rifle with them mounted, but they are tight, and the torque specs remain constant to date. Height is fine for me. Mounting and bore sighting is a breeze. Like any mounting system, it's always good to use a thread locking system on the rings (not on the base mount). Using either Optilock system the scope/ring assembly can be removed and replaced on the rifle, returning to zero when remounted because of the locating stop pin in the design.

The Beretta price is $144 + trans, Brownell charged me $129.64 delivered. You can buy others for less, but IMPO the Sako Ringmounts are a great choice for Sako rifles.

Good luck on your project.

I second everything paprpnchr said.
I also own Bavarian 85 in 300 win mag and optilock are great.. I have Zeiss scope on it and after about 150 rounds through it , still accurate as first day.

How well made are the S&K mounts?? I really like the look of them and have been debating chucking them on my 75 & 85 for quite some time now..

Could you confirm the objective diameter of the Zeiss scope and the ring height you chose. Thanks in advance.

Like Paprpnchr said the Optilocks are good. I particularly like their polymer inserts (which do away with the need for scope lapping) and the windage (lateral) adjustment possible by moving the front mount fore and aft.

Before using the one-piece Optilocks check your dovetails are at the same height as there is no easy way to shim them. (Check out my post on misaligned dovetails in the Misc Sako Parts section of this forum). The 2-piece Optilocks can be shimmed easily as described in the same post.

An alternative is the Burris Signature ring system which has similar polymer inserts to the Optilocks but are available in different thicknesses to enable shimming to be carried out easily if required. Often overlooked when mounting a scope is the importance of having the vertical scope adjustment near the middle of the scope range when zeroed. - David

Latest posts

Back