1. For reasons unknown to us at SCC, it seems that SCC members who are AT&T users experience issues with emails and personal messages when using our forum. This is not unique to SCC and several other internet sites are reporting the same issues. Todo10, the company who helps us with the forum and hosting, have file a complaint with AT&T but we are not convinced AT&T will do anything about it. The only way around this is to register and use another email address not connected to AT&T. We are sorry for any inconveniences this might cause! Please check this link for more info: https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Email-Security/Blocked-Domain-Email-or-IP-address-Questions-and-Discussion/td-p/4961060/page/28 More info will come when we know more! With kind regards Jim aka L61R
    Dismiss Notice

Re-barreled?

Discussion in 'Factory Records Services' started by dtspoke, Dec 1, 2017.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. dtspoke

dtspoke Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    My Sako knowledge is fairly limited, so bear with me. I picked up this Finnbear at an estate auction recently. It's in very good shape, but when I got home and started researching the serial number I noticed something that I thought was contradictory. My understanding is that the SN on this L61R connotes a manufacture date somewhere mid 60's, at least before 1973.

Didn't Garcia start importation after 1973? The barrel shows Garcia so if that's correct the only thing I can assume is that it was re-barreled at some point. Correct?

The blueing on the barrel doesn't seem to match the receiver in the sunlight, but I've had barrels change color at different rates over time than the receiver so I'm not sure that is evidence enough.

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. dtspoke

dtspoke Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    One other point to note, commercial rifles weren't labeled .25-06 until after 1969 since that is when Remington adopted and introduced the cartridge, which gives more credence to re-barreling.

3. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Trying to determine a date of manufacture from a serial number can be an act of futility, sometimes, with Sakos. Making any assumption is difficult as there are documented cases of serial numbers being many thousands lower being shipped many years later. It is a factory barrel, it is stamped L61R & it was imported by Garcia. Based on those parameters, I would say it was made after Garcia started importing them (circa 1973?) & before the action stamping change to AIII (1978). Not sure what year the 25-06 was introduced, but that would narrow it down a little more. The different hues to the bluing is from the metals in the barrel & action being different & the "plum" color is not uncommon. It is not a rebarreled rifle in my estimation. It is more trustworthy to use what you see to determine made on dates than the serial number as Sako did not build rifles in sequential order or with any regard to the serial number. Welcome to the club!

4. dtspoke

dtspoke Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    OK, thanks. That's helpful.

I agree on the blueing being an inaccurate determination of re-barreling, but the SN question made me assume 2+2= New Barrel.

5. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The more you learn about Sako, the more you learn NEVER to assume anything.

6. tripledeuce

tripledeuce Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
    Your sporter is a twin to my L61R #61166 25/06 , and is a three lug Garcia import. Odds are slim that both guns were re-barreled. Just sayin'.

7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    As Paulson notes, Sako serial numbers skip around in a somewhat random fashion, so dating by serial number alone is very "iffy". However, I haven't come across any L61R's with serial numbers in the 60,000 range as early as the 1960's -- all were early 1970's or even later.

Garcia took over as the U.S. importer during the year of 1971 (both Firearms International and Garcia -- sometimes under the subsidiary name of Impecco -- each imported Sakos during part of that year). And the first .25-06's chambered by Sako were made after Garcia became the importer. Everything about your rifle, including the checkering pattern, caliber, serial number, and barrel marking is consistent with an early Garcia L61R.