Price check please

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by sakorick, Apr 19, 2018.

1. sakorick

sakorick Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Missouri
    What's a 90% L461 Bofors .222 with no sight cover a 6 power Schmidt & Bender scope with ugly high mounts worth these days?

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I have no idea what the Schmidt & Bender might be worth. It would only be worth to me what I could cash it out for as I've never gotten along well with European scopes.

Your description of the mount makes it sound like something made by Rube Goldberg, so I wouldn't count it as worth anything, either. Now, if it is an objective bell mount that would be soldered to the barrel and would degrade the rifle's value appreciably.

Finally, one man's 90% is sometimes equal to another's 60% or yet another's 99%, so it's difficult to put a value on the rifle itself. You can get a new sight hood for whatever the guy in Montana is asking for them these days, so subtract that from the rifle's value. At that point you're looking at a gun which, in any condition, rarely sells for less than $700 for a "pickup truck grade", or might bring $1,200+ for a pristine one. That's a wide range, but the condition, the quality of the wood, the originality, etc. can vary that much.

However, like our friend Paulsonconstruction often says, it is impossible to appraise a gun over the internet, particularly without photos. So regard my advice as being worth approximately what you paid for it.

3. sakorick

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Missouri
    Here are some pics....poor but all there is. Schmidt & Bender scope are on par with Zeiss and Swaro. I''ve gotten along very good with them...made in Germany.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The scope mounts and rings are WAY too high to get any kind of proper cheek weld to he comb. I would sell them separately, as they are pretty well useless on that rifle. Same with the scope. Worst way to sell a rifle is with scope, as no matter what is on it the buyer has his own ideas of what he wants & will give no premium for the scope. That S&B might bring decent money to the right guy, but everybody thinks they have to have a variable these days. Besides the objective bell is too big to fit that rifle. Bofors barrel will help you. Average rifle in common caliber in decent shape. Probably closer to the low side of Stonecreek's range of values than the high side. Look on the gun sites for comps, sell prices not asking prices. Saw one in pristine condition at an auction a while back that brought $850. Good Luck!

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  5. d500lnn

d500lnn Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    I might consider the scope if you want to sell it.

6. sakorick

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Missouri
    Thanks for the offer but the scope is the main attraction to me and I have a set of medium Sako rings for it as well.

7. sakorick

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Missouri
    The Sako 222 rifle brought $950 on a internet bid. Whoever bought it will not be happy. Wood was 80% and the mounts were not period. I did score on a Winchester M43 Hornet in 98 % condition with a period Weaver 3/4 inch 4X scope and Weaver mounts for $900. The rifle is amazing and shoots great too. Several of the Winchester and Browning shotguns sold for >7000K. I got a free lunch for being a veteran.

8. sakorick

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Missouri
    It was a beat up rifle missing the front sight hood. I would say 85%. Sold to an on-line bidder for $950.00. Go figure.