Picked up some second hand rings

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Sako parts' started by Branxhunter, May 15, 2018.

1. Branxhunter

Branxhunter Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Got these in a box of various rings and sights - see the interesting thing about them?

IMG_8879.JPG

Marcus

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I've never seen anything like those. The clamps and knurled finger nuts look like the factory Sako rings. But the (very tall) upright of the ring is certainly much different from a factory ring -- as well as the ring caps being stamped metal instead of machined (and they also appear to cover an arc of a tad more than 180 degrees).

Are the base portions deformed from over-tightening, or is that just camera distortion?

I've got a guess as to their origin: Someone needed a set of rings that were taller than the factory Sako ringmounts he had on hand, so he cut the upper portion off of the bases and attached taller rings to the modified factory bases, perhaps with a screw through a hole drilled in the modified base portions. What do you think, Marcus?

3. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Lots of homemade on those.

4. Branxhunter

Branxhunter Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Yep, you are into it Stone; while I can only guess that higher were required, it would seem whoever did the work also wanted 30mm as opposed to 1" rings:

IMG_8880.JPG

The bases don't look to be deformed, I think it is just the camera angle. As you can see there is no screw up from the bottom.

Marcus

5. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    It is really nothing more than a blacksmith job of silver soldering extensions in between what is left of a set of Sako rings that have then been opened up to accommodate a larger scope tube. This is common in Arkansas and North Dakota...

6. sraaw

sraaw Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Kirk, Them there are fighting words....if I was from Arkansas or North Dakota!

7. Gary Kleiss

Gary Kleiss Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arkansas
    That looks like Weaver tops on SAKO bottoms.