Optilock Mounting help

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Sako parts' started by chris16371, Apr 10, 2018.

1. chris16371

chris16371 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Rifle: Sako 85/S Finnlight 7mm-08
    Bases: Sako SS short

I received the bases in the mail yesterday right from Beretta and proceeded to install onto rifle. The rings went on fine and the rear base fit perfectly but I'm having a lot of issues fitting the front base to the tapered dovetail. It won't even go on a quarter of the way, the piece that secures the base to the dovetail is nowhere close to being on the rail. I attached a picture of the base and how far it goes on, I've tried two different front bases. Any input would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Could be the bases were packaged incorrectly, having two rear bases. I've heard of that happening before. Compare the two you have. The front & rear dovetail slots are very different, so it will be obvious. Just a guess!!

3. chris16371

chris16371 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    The rear base has a recoil stop pin which the front does not have, also the rear base and dovetail are much smaller.

4. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    What you have there is an optilock base for Tikka 17mm straight dovetail instead of Sako tapered dovetail. Not the first time there are wrong parts in the optilock sets. Just ask Beretta for a correct one.

5. chris16371

chris16371 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Are you positive? I've already bought 2 sets of the short bases, each from different places so I didn't think it was very likely that both were the wrong front base.

6. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    Yes I'm positive. In your picture you can see the one side of the dovetail is milled square instead of the dovetail you see on the opposite side. This is done only on the Tikka base. On Sako base you would see both sides identical. Also looking from the bottom you would see definitive taper on the dovetail to match the top of the receiver.

Attached Files:

7. chris16371

chris16371 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Lol I must be one unlucky person. Thank you, this has been driving me crazy for a week and a half!!

8. chris16371

chris16371 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Of course Beretta is out of stock on the short bases. Guess I'll send one set back to them for a refund. Idk what I'm going to do with the other set that's nonrefundable.

9. chris16371

chris16371 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Finally!!!! Beretta so far hasn't been any help with the bases I'm unable to return. The person I spoke with on the phone from Beretta couldn't help and gave me the correct parties email to send a message to explaining the situation so I'm just waiting for a reply. I was about to send it in thinking the front dovetail was screwed up, Thank you P04R!!!!!

[​IMG]