old style sako ring screws

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by xfmrdude, Apr 9, 2017.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. xfmrdude

xfmrdude Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    Can anyone tell me were I can purchase the older style sako split ring screws in Canada?

2. robinpeck

robinpeck Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    If you find out, please let me know.

3. South Pender

South Pender Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    It depends to some extent on how close you want to come to the original Sako ring screws. The precise designation is M3.5x.60x6mm., meaning 3.5 mm. diameter, .60 mm. thread pitch, and 6 mm. length. The head style you want is either Pan Head, Cheese Head, or Fillister Head--all pretty similar--but the key thing is that they all have a flat bearing surface. The original screws were fillister head, slotted, and were nicely polished and blued to match the finish of the rings. I think screws having all these characteristics will be hard to find in Canada or maybe anywhere.

However, there are lots of places that you can find with a Google search that will have screws that will work, even if not quite as nice as the originals. Of course, they will have to be M3.5x.60 and have a flat bearing surface. If you end up with longer ones, they can be easily cut to 6 mm. length. Most that I've seen online have been pan head Phillips drive, and you can get them in a matte black oxide finish. I don't think you'd want silver-colour screws, and I for one wouldn't particularly want Phillips drive. If you can find Cheese Head or Fillister Head slotted black oxide screws, you'll be fairly close to the originals. The diameter of the head shouldn't be larger than about .22"-.23".

Here are some that come pretty close--stainless steel with a matte black finish:

https://www.accu.co.uk/en/cheese-head-screws/154022-SFE-M3-5-6-A2-BL

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  4. xfmrdude

xfmrdude Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    Hello SP.
    Thanks for the info and your time!
    I have ordered them and will let you know how they work