New owner of an old Sako L579 Hunter from New York

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Dart2116, Jun 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Dart2116

Dart2116 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Hi all,
    My Uncle just gave me his old hunting rifle a L579 Forester in 308. From the Sako website it could have been made anytime between 1960 and 1973. If I had to guess it was some time in the 1960's given how old my uncle is. The rifle is in good to very good condition. There is a little pitting on the outside, a slight crack in the stock, and the butt pad looks like it pancaked. The bore and barrel are pristine very shiny and very good rifling. I'd be shocked if a 100 rounds have gone down the barrel. It is is marked Bofors Steel and has a nice stock with and engraving of a deer on the magazine base plate. From what ive read i think it my be a delux model. Like a bone head i manged to disassemble the bolt. From what ive read it's no easy task to get it back together. I may just bring it to my gunsmith and have him put it back together. I've always enjoyed firearms and got my first one in 2005 and like rabitts they seem to keep multiplying. Thanks for having me!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018

2. 2greggs

2greggs Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
  3. Dart2116

Dart2116 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    I actually misspoke it is a Forrester not a Hunter. Thank you for the video I was able to get the bolt back in place.

4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    From your description you have a Deluxe model L579, or "Forester". The Bofors mark was dropped around 1968, so your rifle would be no later than that. If you are curious about its exact date of manufacture and where it was originally shipped you can order the factory records on it at http://sakocollectors.tictail.com/