1. For reasons unknown to us at SCC, it seems that SCC members who are AT&T users experience issues with emails and personal messages when using our forum. This is not unique to SCC and several other internet sites are reporting the same issues. Todo10, the company who helps us with the forum and hosting, have file a complaint with AT&T but we are not convinced AT&T will do anything about it. The only way around this is to register and use another email address not connected to AT&T. We are sorry for any inconveniences this might cause! Please check this link for more info: https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Email-Security/Blocked-Domain-Email-or-IP-address-Questions-and-Discussion/td-p/4961060/page/28 More info will come when we know more! With kind regards Jim aka L61R
    Dismiss Notice

New Member and New Sako Mannlicher owner

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by MarkJnK, Aug 5, 2017.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. MarkJnK

MarkJnK Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    Oil finishes that i've done myself (where oil is soaked into the wood, fused with it) have never given me any reason to distrust their effectiveness in wet weather. When i uses to build custom fishing rods, many used exotic woods, red heart, cocobolo, burls, and yes even maple and walnut. Back in those days i finished everything with several coats of polymerized tung oil. Very different from regular tung oil. PTO would set up and be dry to touch in well under an hour. Allowing ample coats to be applied and a good layer of protection in a short time. On fishing rods, especially reel seats, they take alot of abuse. But ive seen so called "oil finishes" that simply sit on top of the wood and begin to chip and wear away after a couple seasons. My Marlin 45-70 Guide gun is doing this and it has not been abused at all. So its next on the list to be refinished. I guess what im trying to say is that i trust my oil finish in any conditions, but the existing laquer finish that is on this gun is decent looking, but not nearly as hard as my oil finished rifles. Easily marked with a fingernail. Would putting a hard finish wax like the Ren wax over a soft laquer fix that? I'm thinking probably not. But ive been wrong before, my wife assures me.

2. MarkJnK

MarkJnK Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    After doing some reading about Renaissance wax and its uses, and specifically how well loved it is in the firearm industry, this will be my approach. I will leave the factory finish as is and apply the Ren Wax when it arrives. Thanks for the tip South Pender

gowyo likes this.
  3. MarkJnK

MarkJnK Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    Just to bring this thread full circle, i decided (for now anyways) to go the route of the Renaissance wax. I disassembled the rifle and liberally coated all of the stock including inlets and barrel channel, as well as all the metal parts. Given what ive read about the Ren wax, i should be well protected from the occasional wet encounter. Thanks for all the comments and opinions!

4. South Pender

South Pender Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    Mark, you may be interested in what the Anschutz North America Custom Shop recommends regarding gunstock care. I have a number of Annies, and their finish is not unlike what you see on your Sako--a dull or satin lacquer finish. In the link below, scroll down below "Technical Questions" to the section "Wood Stock Care Information," and you'll see their suggestions re care of their stocks:

http://www.anschutznorthamerica.com/technical-questions.html

You'll see that they recommend three waxes, Renaissance Wax being one. They apparently use Trewax in their Custom Shop. You'll also see two books on wood finishing that they recommend highly in case you want to take this to the next level.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  5. MarkJnK

MarkJnK Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    Well the Renaissance wax and the rifle are performing flawlessly. I love the feel of the stock with the Ren wax on it, as it gives it just the right amount of smoothness and grip. Very nice product and thanks for the tip. The rifle itself blows me away. I always read that a Mannlicher stock will negatively affect accuracy, but I can't say this is the case with my .270. After 5 rounds of sighting in, I was able to shoot sub MOA 3 shot groups at 100yds with run-of-the-mill Remington Core-lokt factory 130gn ammo. The rifle just feels great, and the extended wood really adds a nice balance to the rifle when shooting freehand. The extra weight out front seems to help steady the rifle, kinda like my stabilizers do on my archery equipment. I paired it up with a 3-9x40 Leupold and Alumina caps which are like the icing on the already perfect cake.

My Sako bug has just begun, as I have a Sako A7 Roughtech Pro in front of me too, in 30-06. I know you guys don't have alot of respect for the post Beretta rifles, but I honestly can't find any fault with the A7 (apart from a few plastic bits). It also shot sub-moa at 100 with factory Winchester 150gn ammo, some 3 shot groups as small as .65". I bought a couple boxes of Sako ammo to see how it compares. This will be my beater, for all weather/terrain.

Next up... a Tikka .223 when I find a good deal.