• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

my newest rifle

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

hello to all im a lifelong hunter & at 55 ive got my first sako over the years ive hadlots of rifles & have mounted up lots of scopes. i aquired a L61R 375 H&H AND trough ssome searching i was able to come up with a pair of mint sako rings im putting a leopold 1,75 x 6 x28 on it , i plan to hunt moose & big bears with it. when i first looked at this gun i fellow had it outside in a shed it was all dusty & had some light rust he said it had been there a while but as son as i picked it up i heard it start purring the balance & poinability sold me right away its competing with my old jp saur 3oo weatherby mk5 for top spot in the safe, well at one point the po had this gun parkerized & had a muzzle brake installed long story short it cleaned up very well. I have some concerns as how to correctly mount this scope with theese rings how do you get it perfectly parrelel with the bore? am i making a big deal out of nothing or are there some things to look for? any advice will be appreciated ROB

Rob- what I do is use a straight 1' dowel that is 4' long. Settled in the bottom of the ringmounts it should parellel the barrel. Eyeballing should work. Then proceed to mount the scope. You will have a great start this way. A bit like bore sighting before scoping in. There is a bit more to it -but that is basically how to start. The ringmounts should balance as to the screws and the placement of the front mount. A bit of trial and error and you will have it. -Misako

misako50:
Great idea using the long dowel to align the ring mounts with the barrel. I'm going to file that in my memory banks as a procedure to use. I'm not quite understanding what you mean by "ringmounts should balance as to the screws and the placement of the front mount". Could you elaborate on that some more.
Thanks!

Balancing to me is having the windage and tightenung screws at the same depth and also when tightened that they are still accessable with the screwdriver. If there is excess overcorrection the big knob is hard to get a screwdriver to fit deeply enough to tighten it. Balancing side to side and front to back (parallel). The toughest thing about any of this is finding a wooden dowell (I use Oak) and having it stay straight ( I seal it with varnish). Would be better to have a metal rod. As far as this being my idea, I know I got it from someone else. Stonecreek uses much the same method and has for years, but if the idea is worth lots of money, send it to me!!!!!-
my newest rifle
-Misako

Does anyone know if there is a common aluminum conduit that measures exactly 1.00" O.D.? That would make a great scope aligner.

stone,I found an aluminum shower curtain rod in lowes.I have used it numerous times and it worked great.The one I have is an expandable type with the end caps for holding on tile.This may be something you can use. Best Jim

Just stop at your local Fastenal store and they have 1" steel rod. They cut it to length that you need and you pay by the foot. I think I paid less than $12 for my 3' section. It works great. I have never removed a scope that had any ring marks after using this bar. I have also found that I am 100% of the time on the paper while sighting the scope in. I dont have to use my bore sighter (although I still do). It is heavier than aluminum but... Who knows, they may have aluminum in 1" also.

Should have mentioned I used the shower rod in the collapsed position just as it comes from the bag,even left the end caps on.Now I have to go hide it from the wife. Jim

Stonecreek: I have a piece of 1" dia. aluminum pipe that has very thick walls ( over 1/8" thick) that I have used for years to align the rings for scope mounting. Never thought of using a longer one that would help in aligning the barrel also. Got it from a local metal supplier/fabricator. It is so thick and strong that you can use it to turn the front ring in on leupold/redfield type bases. I think if you check your local shops that deal in metal supply and fabrication you could get a long piece. Shower rod thing sounds a little flimsy to me. Most of these type shops are not dealing with the walk in type retail customer, but are dealing with other businesses. Best place to start is the yellow pages under metal suppliers or metal fabrication.

Back