My new L61R

Discussion in 'Show us all your beautiful Sakos!' started by Eastwood, May 8, 2018.

1. Eastwood

Eastwood Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Here is my first Sako, a L61R 30-06 in the 27,000 range. What do y’all think? Is that rear sight correct? My dad thinks it may be from a later model. I bought it from a guy who bought it from Simpson Ltd in 2016. I put in for the serial number records search to see what that can tell me about it’s history. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Simpson's has buyers in Europe from which they import guns. So it was probably a European model originally made for that market. Sako typically used the ladder rear sight on guns intended for the European market, while the ones intended for the U.S. typically had no rear sight. Looks in great shape, and in my opinion is worth as little more than the non-sighted U.S. model.

deergoose likes this.
  3. Eastwood

Eastwood Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thanks for the reply. I traded for it and I have about 800 in it. The guy I got it from shot it about 20 times. Looks like it hasn’t been fired much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Eastwood

Eastwood Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I just received the email about the records. It was shipped to Sweden in august of 1967.

Oilfied Ed and siekkid like this.
  5. Oilfied Ed

Oilfied Ed Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oklahoma
    Nice rifle. Ive considered a 30.06 as well. New to collecting so I want one of everything. Haha. Post more detailed pics!

6. Eastwood

Eastwood Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thanks! I sure will the next chance I get.