1. For reasons unknown to us at SCC, it seems that SCC members who are AT&T users experience issues with emails and personal messages when using our forum. This is not unique to SCC and several other internet sites are reporting the same issues. Todo10, the company who helps us with the forum and hosting, have file a complaint with AT&T but we are not convinced AT&T will do anything about it. The only way around this is to register and use another email address not connected to AT&T. We are sorry for any inconveniences this might cause! Please check this link for more info: https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Email-Security/Blocked-Domain-Email-or-IP-address-Questions-and-Discussion/td-p/4961060/page/28 More info will come when we know more! With kind regards Jim aka L61R
    Dismiss Notice

Mauser Model 66

Discussion in 'Other brands' started by robinpeck, Jul 31, 2017.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. robinpeck

robinpeck Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    Mauser Model 66 Stutzen

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Extremely unique design with the easiest & best switch barrel capabilities I've ever seen. If you have one post some pics as I'm sure our members would enjoy!! A pic with the action open showing the "telescoping" action would be nice.

3. robinpeck

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    I just got this for my birthday.

Mauser Model 66 Stutzen in 30-06.
    Like-new condition, an early one made July, 1968.
    38 in. long, 21" barrel, weighs 6.75 lb.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    deergoose, pakula and L61R like this.
  4. L61R

L61R SCC President SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    @robinpeck

Congratulations to both your B-Day and your Mauser!!

The Model 66 is on my bucket list too and the fullwood version sure is nice!

Cheers!

Jim

5. pakula

pakula Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Quality gear , great find, not to many fullwoods around. They made several different trigger options tang set , double set and single .
    Prefer the double set like yours. I bought a 9.3 x62 new around the early 80's and with eaw swing mounts set me back $2600, today they are still bringing the same money. Reckon you won't stop at one, their like Sakos.

6. robinpeck

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    I'm thinking of getting a set of EAW rings and bases. I've had them before...most recently on a Mannlicher-Schoenauer Model 72 (that I sold).
    Any advice on the EAW set up?

7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Okay, you guys have forced me to admit that I own something other than a Sako. I picked up this fantastic Mannlicher-Schoenaur Model 1956 a few weeks ago. Notice the rather unique left-handed stock, which is tailor-made for me since I grew up shooting right-handed bolts from the left shoulder. It's a .270, and although it is beautifully fitted for a European claw scope mount, I'm going to shoot it with iron sights just to prove that I still can. The workmanship on these Austrian beauties is about as good as it gets, and the double set trigger is just heavenly.

DSC00938 (1280x257).jpg

DSC00940 (1280x389).jpg

DSC00941 (1280x480) (2).jpg

8. robinpeck

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    And a couple of mine: both Model 1903's in 6.5x54 MS both with DST. No scopes will ever be on these.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    deergoose likes this.
  9. pakula

pakula Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Eaws are good if you intend to swing them off and use the open sights. Can be fiddly setting up, loose fit them to scope and move into correct position,then tighten. European rail mounted scopes can also be a good option as they can be sourced on ebay for a good price. Permanent mount option that I would like to try is this one.
    https://www.ebay.com/p/Mauser-Model-66-660-Scope-Mount/1731433091

10. robinpeck

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    Can you see the (pre-Williams, all steel) open sights over top of the EAW bases?

11. robinpeck

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    A Mauser 66 is a tricky rifle to scope. There are only a few mount solutions (like EAW) and all are expensive, and mount the scope too high for me. I like low power hunting scopes mounted as low as possible. I've had good luck with low mounting older Swarovski and Schmidt & Bender 4X scopes on Sako carbines using original Sako rings. For this Mauser 66 I just used what mounts I had on hand: Talley rings that just coincidentally fit the Mauser's barrel dovetail base, and a screw as a recoil stop threaded into one original factory tapped holes on the base. So no permanent changes to the rifle at all, and it mounts the light (7.5 oz.) 2.5X28 Leupold "Scout" scope (stolen from one of my Swedish Mausers) so low that it is actually below the "receiver ring". By definition, no receiver mounted scope can be mounted below the top of the receiver. The scope and mounts add only 9 oz., so the Stutzen rifle remains light and compact and carries well balanced in one hand. Ideal for quickly getting on target.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  12. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    That's an ingenious way to mount a scope, and the "scout" long eye relief scope is a much better alternative than something mounted on stilts above the action so high that you have to have an extra long neck to see the sight picture.

13. robinpeck

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    I've shot my new Mauser 66 Stutzen a fair bit lately and there is no shifting of the scope, so I'm still okay with my "scout rifle" scope mount concept. My way of mounting the scope provides enough magnification for my hunting and also allows me to carry the little rifle easily in one hand. And it is a little rifle, only 37.5 inches long (but because of the telescoping action the barrel is still a good 21 inches) and with scope and mounts it weighs a total of 7 lb. 4 oz. The 2nd photo shows it parked next to my Sako .22, which itself is a fairly small rifle.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are a few pictures of the Mauser 66 taken down (removal of three hex screws). A very slick little mechanism, and although not as complex as it first seems, it is probably now too expensive to profitably manufacture. Apparently all production was finished by 1995. Mine was made in 1968.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017 at 2:55 PM
  14. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Discussing the Mauser Stutzen and the Mannlicher Schoenaurs reminds me of one of the few "shortcomings" of Sakos: The lack of a double set trigger option. (Yes, I know that the current models offer a single-set, but I'm speaking of the old L-series.)

I was prairie dog hunting last week with a couple of Sakos and a Krico .222 Magnum. The Krico was equipped with double set triggers. The Krico is a recent acquisition so this was the first time I had taken it out. It was also my 12 year-old grandson's first time to hunt prairie dogs. He shot a .221 Fireball with a well-tuned Sako trigger for the first half of the day, and did so rather successfully. Then after lunch I broke out the Krico and, after intensive instruction on the use of the set trigger, let him shoot it. He was grinning from ear to ear at the difference the set trigger made, and was knocking dogs off of their mounds with nearly every shot. He refused to go back to the Sako.

While I have seen at least one adaptation of a double set trigger on a Sako, I know of no source of such conversions. The problem is that Americans don't seem to understand double set triggers, and if the American market won't buy a firearms accessory in sufficient quantity then it is difficult to sell enough in the rest of the world to justify its manufacture.

By the way, I've tuned the sights on the Mannlicher-Schoenaur .270 (had to use a taller front sight to get the POI down on target), and I am now confidently able to shoot minute-of-whitetail groups out to 200 yards. I'm looking forward to sighting the old-fashioned way on at least one hunt this fall.

deergoose likes this.
  15. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Stone, shame on you...DON'T SHOW ANYMORE OF YOUR GRANDKIDS THE KRICO.....the last thing we want to do is be responsible for turning our grandkids off of our perfect Sakos!
    LOL, I bet you guys had a ball.

deergoose likes this.