• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Leupold RM Sako 30mm dove tail

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Saguaro

Good morning gentleman,

I'd like to install a 1-6x24 30mm scope in a Salo L61R in 300 H&H

The most attractive option I have seen so far, is the Leupold RM for Sako dove tail.
However, for the 30 mm scope, it's only made in "medium" therefore 0,86 inch clearance (19,4mm aprox)

Do you think 0,86 inch is way too high for a 30 mm close-medium range scope ?

Medium Leupold ringmounts have never been too high for the scopes I have mounted. I'm not sure what you mean by .86" (which is 21.8mm) clearance or where exactly that measurement is taken in relation to the scope. Leupold usually gives a "height" measurement from top of dovetail to center of scope for their rings.
I just checked the Leupold site & it appears the "RM" mounts are different than the standard ring mounts. I would use the standard mediums, which gives .360" clearance from top of dovetail to bottom of ring. The RM's appear to be way too high for your application. Set your scope on the rifle & measure what you need. If .360" is enough for your scope to clear, then the standard medium height Leupold ringmounts are what you need.

Last edited:
I just checked the Leupold site & it appears the "RM" mounts are different than the standard ring mounts. I would use the standard mediums, which gives .360" clearance from top of dovetail to bottom of ring. The RM's appear to be way too high for your application. Set your scope on the rifle & measure what you need. If .360" is enough for your scope to clear, then the standard medium height Leupold ringmounts are what you need.

Good Lord, I did get confused with the RM and Standard denominations. ((and the Victorian Imperial system---))
Thanks for your clarification Paulsonconstruction

Anybody knows what RM stands for vs Standard rings ?

I just looked at the Leupold website and I fear that the same advertising "geniuses" who have been doing their hyping (Diamond Super Coat Multi Hyper Mega Bright Dazzling Crystal Ultimate Digitally-matched Lenses) have now taken over their website. It is confusing and offers little in the way of useful information. Leupold catalogs and websites from 10 or 15 years ago were full of detailed specifications and accurate descriptions. Not now.

It appears that "RM" simply stands for "ring mount", which is the only mount that Leupold makes for the Sako Tapered Dovetail. Their "standard rings" are the conventional rings which fit in the old Redfield-style turn-in bases. This is the same ring system as marketed by Redfield, Millett, Burris, etc. for decades.

Unfortunately, Leupold only offers the 30mm Sako ringmount in "medium" (or "high") which will place your straight-tubed scope higher than necessary above the action. Personally, I'd rather go with a low-mounted 1" tube which allows your eye to more quickly align with the plane of the scope and thus more quickly acquire the sight picture.

I just looked at the Leupold website and I fear that the same advertising "geniuses" who have been doing their hyping (Diamond Super Coat Multi Hyper Mega Bright Dazzling Crystal Ultimate Digitally-matched Lenses) have now taken over their website. It is confusing and offers little in the way of useful information. Leupold catalogs and websites from 10 or 15 years ago were full of detailed specifications and accurate descriptions. Not now.

It appears that "RM" simply stands for "ring mount", which is the only mount that Leupold makes for the Sako Tapered Dovetail. Their "standard rings" are the conventional rings which fit in the old Redfield-style turn-in bases. This is the same ring system as marketed by Redfield, Millett, Burris, etc. for decades.

Unfortunately, Leupold only offers the 30mm Sako ringmount in "medium" (or "high") which will place your straight-tubed scope higher than necessary above the action. Personally, I'd rather go with a low-mounted 1" tube which allows your eye to more quickly align with the plane of the scope and thus more quickly acquire the sight picture.
I'm totally confused as well! Pics of the "RM" ringmounts are different than the pics of the earlier ringmounts I saw for sale (not on the Leupold site). Did Leupold change their offerings or has their website turned into a mess like many other companies? I never did see the height measurement of .86" clearly defined. If it is from the top of dovetail to bottom of ring I can't see any practical use for them. Even their custom & repair shop, which I have dealt with for many years, seems to have lost the personnel that actually knew something about their products. Any answer you get from them on an inquiry may change depending on who you are talking to. Does this mean our last option to mount a 30mm scope low to the receiver is lost???

It took some time but I finally got the Leupold rings. For some absurd reason rings can't be exported from the U.S. and it took a while to find somebody hunting friendly who was willing to bring the rings to Europe.
I'm grateful you guys recommend me those specific rings, they feel great.
I zeroed the 1-6x24 scope yesterday and now I just got to wait a few days for the hunting season to begin

Best regards !

Back