Let's Talk About G O Wholesale

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by stonecreek, Jun 26, 2014.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Actually, I owned a very similar .25-06 prior to this one and took one whitetail with it using the same loads (neck-sized brass from my previous .25-06 will even chamber in my current one, which is unusual; but then, they're both Sakos.) The 115 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip at 3125 fps went through the shoulder and out the other side, leaving lung tissue on a post 10 feet behind the buck. So, I'm not fearful that it's not "enough", just that the .280 would also be nice to hunt with. Decisions, decisions!

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Somehow, I stumbled across this old thread, so I thought I might update it a little. GO Wholesale Sakos continue to pop up from time to time (I had a member send me a PM on one he bought just a few weeks ago). But we still don't have much additional information on the backstory on them.

I did end up taking the .280 hunting that fall and took two big feral hogs with it. There were three of them running across a wheat field at about 150 yards and I was able to drop two of the three. Both were DRT from the 150 Nosler Solid Base bullets.

In the meantime I made a new friend in Denmark with whom I exchanged hunts. His primary hunting rifle is a 7x64 Sauer, so, being a very similar caliber, I loaned him my GO .280 to hunt with on his trip here. He took two whitetails with it.

But the L61R .25-06 didn't remain lonely and unloved. I took it to a friend's place in South Texas where I used it to reduce the Javelina population by several head.