• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L61R Finnbear 270 Win

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I picked up a Sako AV in 7mm Rem Mag recently. It was made in the late 80s it appears. I liked the rifle so much that I kept an eye out and picked on up in 270 Win this week so I have the power spectrum covered.

This L61R rifle has serial number 28xxx and appears to have not been shot much. I'm guessing early 1960s but maybe someone can give better advice?

It had a couple minor spots of rust on the recoil cross bolt which I'll take care of. Other than that the rifle is clean and my borescope showed it to be defect free and extremely sharp. The recoil pad has the typical safe storage damage, but it is still functional and not dry rotted. I will leave it alone and use it as is.

It has the three lug bolt which cycles smoothly and the trigger breaks crisply.

It has the iron sights which I really wanted on the rifle. But the iron sights appear to be more than just a simple affair, they are fully adjustable out to 500 meters. I love shooting irons so it should be good fun to get it sighted in. It has the sight hood, but I'll pull this off for hunting use because it seems like it will get easily lost when in the bush.

I am going to put a Leupold VX6 2-12 scope on this and use it as my primary hunting rifle. I already own a Winchester in stainless, but I wanted to return to wood and blued steel in a Sako. Now I have a classic Sako to take with me on hunts.

The finish on my new/old Sako is spectacular when compared to what I've seen on other rifles.

Attachments

• IMG_0821.jpg
    IMG_0821.jpg
    592.3 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0822.JPG
    IMG_0822.JPG
    620.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0823.JPG
    IMG_0823.JPG
    641.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0825.jpg
    IMG_0825.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0829.JPG
    IMG_0829.JPG
    299.5 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0830.JPG
    IMG_0830.JPG
    425.1 KB · Views: 108
Probably 1968 or so. I love the rear site. You don't see many rifles with the elevated rear site on it.

DeerGoose

That's a fine looking Sako rifle and I'm envious. Here's why: first off, finding a good clean sporter in .270 can be a real challenge, and most of them were hunted. You've got the cool rear site on it, AND it's a Bofors rifle that's lacking the black plastic grip cap. Hard combination to find, I do believe.

Super nice Sako, congrats on your find !, and thanks for sharing.

DeerGoose

Thanks for the comments. The rifle is in great condition. I almost feel bad that I'm going to hunt with it.

I'm not looking to modify the rifle, but I would like to have sling studs instead of the fixed sling swivels that are affixed.

Is there a front sling stud that will work with the nut attachment that is holding on the front swivel? Meaning that the front is very well attached with a custom made swivel with flattened sides to prevent it from turning. Is there a sling stud that has the same threads I can just swap out?

That's beautiful!.. I just picked up its twin only in a 30-06 ser #27xxx. I'm looking to add a scope to mine, what height optilock rings did you use? How does it shoot? Is the stock free floated?

Thank you.

That's beautiful!.. I just picked up its twin only in a 30-06 ser #27xxx. I'm looking to add a scope to mine, what height optilock rings did you use? How does it shoot? Is the stock free floated?

Thank you.

I have only sighted it in and have not had any time to really put some rounds down it. I used the low optilock rings which is the lowest they make. The scope could go a little lower and still clear the barrel. The rifle shoots OK, but I have not really tested many types of ammo through it.

As for free floating, these rifles are not made for free floating and I am going to leave it as the designers intended.

I was just curious if the stock was in its original condition. Mine also has slight upward pressure. I haven't shot it yet but I have no reason to alter it either, I agree with you that the designers had good reason. Those Optilocks look nice. Good day.

Rather late to these posts, sorry for that. I to have an early L61R Finnbear in .270 Win. It has a four digit S/N and I've traced it to 1963. It's in excellent condition and is as accurate as any big game rifle I could hope to shoot. Mine has a front sight, but no evidence of a rear sight at all. Scope is an older Redfield Tracker 3x9. I couldn't possibly ask for a better rifle than this. I'll post pictures as soon as I can. Good to be back to this forum.

Rather late to these posts, sorry for that. I to have an early L61R Finnbear in .270 Win. It has a four digit S/N and I've traced it to 1963. It's in excellent condition and is as accurate as any big game rifle I could hope to shoot. Mine has a front sight, but no evidence of a rear sight at all. Scope is an older Redfield Tracker 3x9. I couldn't possibly ask for a better rifle than this. I'll post pictures as soon as I can. Good to be back to this forum.
L61R's bound for the United States market came without a rear sight, unlike most sold in Europe. A rear peep sight that attached to the rear action dovetail was available if one wanted the open sight option. The front sight left the factory with a hood.

Correct. I removed the hood and blade so I wouldn't see them thru the scope.
Since I stopped hunting deer, elk and pronghorn I've traded away a few rifles for shotguns[my newest kick!] But, that Sako is going nowhere, along with my Ruger No.1B and Mod 94. Really like that Finnbear.

Latest posts

Back