• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Inspector´s marks! Help to build reference section!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

L61R

SCC President
SCC Board Member
Hey all you great people!

I hope you are all settling in here at the new SCC and that you are enjoying the new forum and the new site with information about our favourite brand.

I have been pondering on the inspector´s marks for a while and I think it would be of general interest if we could sample as many as possible in a thread here for reference. Then I can post it on the main site for future use.

To do this I will need help from you good guys!

Take a pic, no flash please, and upload it to this thread. And to make it even more useful, include which action it´s from and at least part of the serial number.

I know that a few of the inspector´s names are listed in Arma Fennica but I don´t have that book here with me now, so I have to check later on.

If you have any other ideas and thoughts about this little project, just hit enter after you have typed in your post!

Cheers!

Jim

Jim,

Just to be clear, the inspector's mark is the symbol located just to the right of the crowned lion's head which follows the serial number, correct?

Yup, that´s right! Should have been more clear from the start so thanks a lot for the help!! :)

Jim

Here´s an example of how you can do it! Both barrel and action. But I prefer if you can get a little closer than I did!

It will be interesting to see how many we can sample! Not too many I believe.
Not sure but I don´t think there were very many inspectors.

Jim

CIMG1302.JPG

Here's a whole potload, courtesy of Rodger at SakoSource.com. He gave me permission to reproduce these from his website of Sakos for sale (some of them may be previously sold items.)

It appears to me that there were only three common marks, which I interpret as: "PV" (or "RV", take your choice), "JTV", and "MV" (or perhaps "NV"). The photo of the early Riihimaki shows some inspector marks, but they are difficult to decipher.

Hope this helps.

DSC00004 (800x450).jpg DSC00004 (800x450).jpg DSC00005 (800x450).jpg L46 7x33 Birch 006 (800x232).jpg

Here's a "PV" (or "RV") which somehow failed to upload on the previous post.

The inspector mark on the action seems to have been dropped somewhere about the same time that the A-series began.

DSC00008 (1280x546) (800x341).jpg

Jim,
You are correct, the 'Inspectors' are named in Arma Fennica,
NT~ Niilo Talvenheimo
MV~ Matti Vartia
RA~ Ralf Ahlgren

As you know the very early L46 rifles had no inspection marks till about 45xx-5xxx. The first record I can see, is with NT stamped on either the barrel or action and later on both.
There are dozens of variations of NT's stamp, and most appear to be hand stamped until some time in the fifties. His early stamps are so varied it is possible to think they are a different person.NT's stamp appears to run into the early production of the L461.
By the time MV is stamped on the actions and barrels, they are roll stamped and appear much more consistent. It would be quite possible to have a rifle around this time with an action stamped MV and a barrel stamped NT
It will be interesting to see how long the 'Inspectors' stamp lasts into the A series rifles, as i only have one rifle, an A1 at 159xxx and it is stamped the same as the rifle pictured above.
Below is a pic of my second run L469, which should have an inspectors mark on the action.

L-46

Attachments

• Dads phone 238 - Copy.JPG
    Dads phone 238 - Copy.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 49
Thanks guys!

I have checked some more of the pics I have on my laptop and I haven´t found any other than the four mentioned here.

It´s kind of mindboggling that all Sako´s of such a long time were checked by so few! So I hope all memebers will check their Sakos to see if we can round up a few more.

And we need to find out who the RV is/was.

By the way. SAko started to mark their rifles with inspectors marks and proof marks in 1948.

Jim

there's an SA, guys.

I may have a name written down somewhere.....will try to find and update the thread.

DeerGoose

Back