1. For reasons unknown to us at SCC, it seems that SCC members who are AT&T users experience issues with emails and personal messages when using our forum. This is not unique to SCC and several other internet sites are reporting the same issues. Todo10, the company who helps us with the forum and hosting, have file a complaint with AT&T but we are not convinced AT&T will do anything about it. The only way around this is to register and use another email address not connected to AT&T. We are sorry for any inconveniences this might cause! Please check this link for more info: https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Email-Security/Blocked-Domain-Email-or-IP-address-Questions-and-Discussion/td-p/4961060/page/28 More info will come when we know more! With kind regards Jim aka L61R
    Dismiss Notice

Inherited Sako Rifle, seeking info

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Weaklink, Jan 27, 2016.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Weaklink

Weaklink Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    I just inherited a Sako rifle form my parents. If memory serves me, they purchased the rifle ~40 years ago. It has been in a storage safe for the last 30 years. I bet not four boxes of shells have been through it. Believe it was purchased used, and the bird's eye maple stock may be custom, but not sure. would like to know more about the rifle. Have heard that .264 is not that popular now, and barrel life was short due to hot loads/pressure. I tired to buy ammo locally, but none in stock. I found three boxes of 100 grain Hornady marked $4.87 a box. Rifle is probably a 8.5 of 10. couple scratches. Some age to the plastic inlays, a small cloudy spot on the finish that would probably rub-out.

I'm not much of a hunter, but would like to learn to call coyotes. Wondering if this rifle is desirable, worth anything, if I should use it, or save it and by a synthetic stock .243.

Markings;

- SAKO
    - Cal.264 Mag.
    - FINNBEAR
    - Made in Finland
    - L61R
    - No 47xx

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks in advance!! James

2. iwanna

iwanna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    Welcome, James

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to answer more of your questions.

In the meantime, yes it is a custom stock. It sure looks like 1960's-era work to me. Custom stocks are personal by their nature. I happen to like yours, but that's individual.

Of course it is a valuable gun. It would be worth more if it was original. If it was me I would shoot it.

3. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The only thing I can tell for sure is you have a custom built rifle on a L61R action with Sako ringmounts. The pictures don't reveal any barrel stampings, but you describe it being marked Sako & .264 Cal. If this is stamped on the top of the barrel just forward of the action you have a factory barreled action in a very scarce chambering. Your rifle has no collector value, but is nicely done & has very good value as a hunting rifle. Of course it's family history gives it great sentimental value to you I'm sure. If you were to find a factory original stock it's value would be substantially enhanced. Pretty rifle. Thanks for sharing the pics!

4. Weaklink

Weaklink Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    Thanks for the replies. It does have the ".264 Cal" marked on top of the barrel, just forward of the action. My father bought it just because he thought it was beautiful. He never really used it, so to me it does not have sentimental value. I think I will sell it and get something more utilitarian for myself. Any ballpark value estimates would be helpful when I go to trade. Thanks!!

5. ricksengines

ricksengines Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
  6. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The "Ballpark" is pretty big in your case. The action alone is worth at least $500. The fact that it has a factory barrel chambered in .264 Win puts an added factor to it's value that is very hard to judge & would be worth more to someone that had a Sako stock to put it in versus someone who was just looking for a hunting rifle. Your best option is to put it up for auction & find it's true market value.

7. bjorn240

bjorn240 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    I agree that it's a wide ballpark on this one, but it's a beautiful rifle in a pretty rare caliber. I personally am very fond of the stock, and I think others will be too. I think the very least, rock-bottom, you should expect for it is around $1000. If two people who like it get excited, it could be significantly higher.

8. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Very cool but I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to sell it if I were you.

rick

9. cmjr

cmjr Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I would agree that the barreled action is worth 500, the stock will be a harder sale. You will find a pretty limited market for it, must guys are looking for clean originals and not a dated custom. Someone looking to put that rifle to work will probably be thinking synthetic. Your best option is to find someone that really likes that style of stock but in an auction you need 2 guys to make that work...for you anyway. I'm not into the long actions and they have the lowest resale of the 3 sizes. If I were to buy it I would pull the stock and put it on Gunbroker and look for a clean original stock. As for value I would say more in the 650 to 700 range.

10. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Sorry to disagree on the pricing but I think someone out there would be willing to pay north of $1K for the rifle. Just me, but take my advice and do not be in a hurry to sell it.

11. Weaklink

Weaklink Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    Thanks for all your input guys!! Some solid points to think about. Probably wind-up selling it, but I'm in no hurry. Thanks again.

12. Coyote Down

Coyote Down Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Maine
    WOW! is right. Translation: Don't be in to much of a hurry to sell it = "Give us time to find some cash and we'll make an offer." Just curious - does your rifle have a 24.4" or 26" barrel? The .264 Winmag is a plains/mountain cartridge, often referred to as "a hat full of powder with a thimble size bullet."
    I notice you're from Washington state - my home town is Seattle. The .264 is made to order for the PNW.
    BTW you might want to hang on to it for awhile.

13. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Told Ya!

rick

14. Coyote Down

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Maine
    You're a big help!:)

15. Coyote Down

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Maine
    Weaklink-
    Would you measure the barrel for us?

16. Weaklink

Weaklink Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    Sorry, a year late on this reply. I measure 24 5/16" from the closed bolt face to muzzle. Since last post, I put a Vortex 4-12 scope on and shot 5 rounds to make sure all was good after 30 years in the safe. All good. Too pretty for me to hunt with and a bit over-kill for coyotes. Going to sell.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  17. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Sorry, no auctions allowed on our site.

rick

18. Weaklink

Weaklink Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    edited.

19. Coyote Down

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Maine

A while back - cleaning up/out the gun room. Found three boxs Remington, 20 rnds ea of .44 mag, , $10.97 ea- 1 partial box Remington, .44 spec, 50 rnds, 246 gr - $15.50, 1/2 box 30/30, 170 gr, $6.75. All neatly stacked behind an old ammo can.

Were those the daze or what? :cool:

20. pk1

pk1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    A bit large for shooting coyotes but will work.