• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

I Like Pre-War Model 70 Winchesters

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

kirkbridgershooters

I just got this gun last weekend, I had to locate a vintage scope for it and came up with this Lyman Alaskan 2 1/2 power scope and a Stith mount. Everything is nearly mint, making it a truly nice package...

DSCN3461.jpg

DSCN3469.jpg

DSCN3470.jpg

DSCN3465.jpg

DSCN3464.jpg

I like the early Model 70's also, though I only have three of them.
Some of them bring some pretty good money depending on condition and caliber.
What caliber is this one?
Will you hunt with it or just add it to your collection?

That style safety and lack of Monte Carlo makes it a pretty early one. Do you know the year? The Lyman Alaskan is a great contemporaneous match for it. It makes for a very nice old rig which looks in near museum quality. Thanks for posting, and we'll forgive you that it's not a Sako.

Here it is with another Pre-war carbine I have in 30-06. This one is a 22 Hornet, 21xxx, 1939. The other is a 34xxx serial number made in 1941. All my guns get shot. I have them only for hunting and personal enjoyment, but I won't own a gun I don't shoot.

DSCN3431.jpg

DSCN3433.jpg

DSCN3432.jpg

DSCN3434.jpg

Very nice brace of model 70 carbines. Great wood on the hornet. I must admit I have a few model 70's too. In a long action, I think the Winchester's are probably just a touch better than the Sako L61R conterpart. But in short and medium action, I give the edge to Sako's in being a touch better than the pre 64 model 70, just my humble opinion, kinda like what's better, chevy or ford.... I had a carbine 7x57 a few years back, traded it off to Tom James Sr, owner of Fort Knox gun safes, what a fool I was. I still hunt with the pre 64 model 70 featherweights (30-06, 270, 308, 358, 264) as well as a std 70 270. Roger Rule would be proud of your two fine guns !

Adirondacks

P1080092.JPG
P3240164.JPG
P3240164.JPG
Sweet. I've got a 1939 30-govt-06 carbine as well. Its wearing a lyman 48wjs.

Last edited:
Back