• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Hi, newbie with 308 Forester

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Johno2486

Hi to everyone, my name is Steve live I in Fife, just recently acquired (father's) old but excellent 308 Forester, which I'm hopefully going to be 'refinishing' the stock on, once I've researched it enough, so if I have any queries/questions, require advise I know where to come to for advise.
Thanks for looking.

Atb Steve.

Hello Steve, and welcome to SCC. I live in the New Forest in Hampshire, and I love Scotlaand. I recently went to Inverness and we have been to the Edinburgh Festival many times! Let us have a look at your stock and we can give you some advise. Is the barrel marked Bofors?
Very happy to " Pipe You Aboard "

Blackjack { AKA Mike The Limey }

Thanks for the reply Blackjack, I've attached a couple of pictures of my Sako, as you can see bit of wear and tear age related marks on stock,hence the reason I am considering refinishing stock over the winter (it will be a first), couple of friends have advised against it as it's (they reckon) a difficult/time consuming process to do correctly and achieve a high standard of finish??
I've also checked barrel and not stamped Bofors anywhere.

_20170925_173748.JPG DSC_0964.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0963.JPG
    DSC_0963.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0962.JPG
    DSC_0962.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_0961.JPG
    DSC_0961.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 14
Welcome, Steve!

Your Forester's serial number indicates it is from approximately the late 1970's when Sako changed the serial numbers on the L579's from the 100,000's to the 300,000's. It was not long after that when they re-designated the L579 as the A-II.

The stock doesn't look too bad to me. It's solely your choice as to whether to refinish or not -- whatever pleases you. But I'll have to warn that it is difficult for an amateur to make the stock look as nice as the factory finish, even when the factory finish is rather worn. You might consider just touching-up those breaks in the clear coat by a very light polishing with steel wool and a dab of Birchwood Casey Tru Oil or similar product. Several guys here on the forum are much more experienced in wood finishing than I am, so maybe they'll chime in with suggestions.

Welcome, Steve!

Your Forester's serial number indicates it is from approximately the late 1970's when Sako changed the serial numbers on the L579's from the 100,000's to the 300,000's. It was not long after that when they re-designated the L579 as the A-II.

The stock doesn't look too bad to me. It's solely your choice as to whether to refinish or not -- whatever pleases you. But I'll have to warn that it is difficult for an amateur to make the stock look as nice as the factory finish, even when the factory finish is rather worn. You might consider just touching-up those breaks in the clear coat by a very light polishing with steel wool and a dab of Birchwood Casey Tru Oil or similar product. Several guys here on the forum are much more experienced in wood finishing than I am, so maybe they'll chime in with suggestions.

Many thanks for your reply Stonecreek, I hadn't really thought about the possibility of just touching up the damaged area in stock.

But to be honest I'd probably prefer to do the whole thing, my main concern now is,when rifle out in any wet/damp conditions, it starts to show a 'bloom' of off white/blueish dots under the lacquer on the main body of stock, so I am assuming that damp is getting under the lacquer (prob around the rear sling mount) this does eventually dry out and dissappear, until the next time gun is caught out in the wet, but us quite unsightly to see when it's there..so hence the reason I fancy stripping it back and refinishing in oil...
So any thoughts /tips/comments from 'them in the know ' most appreciated.

Steve

Hello John,

Very good photo's. Can we see a photo of the bolt that fits your rifle? Does the cocking piece have a pin through it? My 1978 L461 .222 Rem. H.B. has a pin through the bolt, as did several of the late 1970's Sako rifles. The A1 A2 & A3 started showing up in around 1980 { I think }. Steve { Stonecreek } will know more than I, and should chime In. As for your stock finish, I have never liked that redish colour. If your rifle was mine I would re - finish It with an oil finish. The value of your Sako rifle is greatly diminished due to a sound moderator being fitted. Sako supply a rubber re - coil pad if the recoil becomes too much for you.

Blackjack

I just noticed the British proof marks on the barrel and action of this L579. My dealer friend Rodger at SakoSource recently added a brand-new-in-box 46 year-old L61R to his inventory which was originally shipped to Britain (Firearms Co., Ltd.), both according to the label on the box and to the Sako shipping records which he had researched. But it shows no British proof marks. Take a look: https://www.sakosource.com/-1273rs-nib338.html

I'm wondering what route it would have taken to the U.S. in order to escape British proofing? The guy he got it from said it was part of a collection which he had purchased several years earlier and had no idea its origin.

Hello John,

Very good photo's. Can we see a photo of the bolt that fits your rifle? Does the cocking piece have a pin through it? My 1978 L461 .222 Rem. H.B. has a pin through the bolt, as did several of the late 1970's Sako rifles. The A1 A2 & A3 started showing up in around 1980 { I think }. Steve { Stonecreek } will know more than I, and should chime In. As for your stock finish, I have never liked that redish colour. If your rifle was mine I would re - finish It with an oil finish. The value of your Sako rifle is greatly diminished due to a sound moderator being fitted. Sako supply a rubber re - coil pad if the recoil becomes too much for you.

Blackjack
Hello John,

Blackjack

Hi, Thanks for info Blackjack, here are a couple of pics of the bolt from my Forester..

DSC_0976.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0974.JPG
    DSC_0974.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC_0972.JPG
    DSC_0972.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC_0973.JPG
    DSC_0973.JPG
    171.4 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC_0975.JPG
    DSC_0975.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 6
Hello John,

Yes! just what I thought. Your bolt has the pin through the cocking piece. There is a shed load of information on that PIN! Just search the SCC and you will find a wealth of infomation and photo's. Your rifle like my L461 .222 Rem. HB is on the brink of the change to the A1, A2, & A3 series with the shrouded bolt.

Blackjack

Back