• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Hi from the UK

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Artois

Hi All,

I've been shooting most of my life, in rifles only up to .243, having recently retired I am just getting into deer stalking and have my DSC1 certificate assessment in August along with a two day stalk booked and another three day in November.

I haven't bought a rifle as yet, but have my licence variation through for a 30-06 which I have decided after much research, soul searching and conversations, is the calibre for me.

I have been looking at an unused Sako L691 in 30-06 with beautiful wood and wonder whether anyone has an opinion on this rifle in terms of accuracy, issues, preferred ammunition make/loads, any advice you feel is relevant really.

Thanks in advance
A

The L691 is a very nice example of Sako quality & would serve you well. It does get some criticism for it's recoil lug being different from the earlier Sakos & for all the action sizes being the same diameter, but beings you are getting the long action it's diameter is not any different than the earlier long actions. They were only made for 4 years(1992-1996), so their numbers are quite low & parts can be very difficult to obtain. However, it being unused, there is no reason to believe it won't last more than the rest of your life & possibly your grandson's. Good luck on your hunt & welcome to the forum!!

Last edited:
I've shot a lot of Roe deer with a Finnbear in 270, 30-06 will do the job too. What quarry are you after?

Good God Dodger,

A .270 & 30 - 06 on Roe Deer! Could you see day light through the chest cavity? Talk about over kill. A .243 is bad enough! I shoot Muntjac with my Sako .222 L461 HB and that is so right for the job. The law is really an ARSE in England. We really should be able to shoot Roe Deer with a .222 here in England. Why can one legally shoot Roe Deer in Scotland with a .222 but not here in England? Who are these people that decide what we can shoot and with what calibre!

Blackjack

Hello Sako lovers. I believe that this discussion will be very interesting. Even more so if we can get some interest from the game commission sector. The following thoughts are given IMHO. Many years ago when big game trophy hunting became popular many rules were set to prevent wanton wounded animals, set game quotas, and protect the nimrod hunters from dangerous game. This was in the days previous to educated analysis of ballistic studies to determine the most efficient calibers for harvesting. The thought was the bigger the bore the more killing power obtained. Most modern hunters have been educated to realize that impact energy and accuracy is more important do the job. For instance in most dangerous big game areas .375 is the required minimum, yet there are many calibers of slightly smaller diameter that have much more killing power than a .375 H&H with higher energy and better trajectory and range. The bottom line is that most folks that set the rules are reluctant to get modern in thoughts and regulations. In some areas it is legal to hunt deer with .223 caliber. In other areas it is only legal to hunt them with shotgun slugs due to more hunters than game. Short range slugs that are less likely to hit other hunters. It would be better in my opinion if the regulations were reviewed for the possibility of improving and updating with more input by the hunting community. I believe that most game regulations are set to sell more tags. Revenue has become the highest priority in my home state. The regulations are so complicated by set boundaries and so many draw tags that even the authorities have difficulty interpreting the laws. Sakojim.

I gave up on .243 for deer when I shot a Fallow doe with one and the bullet did not exit the beast. Consequently no blood trail to follow up on. Luckily it was a good heart shot and the animal only ran 25 yards. My gun for deer is now the same Tikka T3 fitted with a take-off 7mm-08 barrel that I got from the Evil bay for a song. 7mm-08 is ideal for all our deer except the heaviest reds and Sika where the 7mm magnum does the job impeccably.
As Dirty Harry says 'You can never have too much gun'!
That's probably why I took my Sako 416 Rem Mag to Namibia for Plains Game.
As to why we have the limit of 240 cal in England - that would be down to the BDS I believe - what a useless organisation that is!

In my experience a .243 is adequate for smaller antelope such as Springbok, Impala and Blesbok (average weight 50 - 70 kg). I have seen many bigger animals drop with a .243 but only because while we were hunting for small game a Kudu (190- 270 kg) or Red Hartebeest (150 kg) happened to jump out. Many game farmers prohibit anything less than .270 or .308 on their farms due to bitter experiences of wounded animals. Black Wildebeest (180 kg), Blue Widebeest (290 kg) need at least a .270 / .308 / 7mm or 300. Zebra (400 kg) and Eland preferably a .375. Our hunting group all try to cause as much damage as we can to the vital organs which requires about a 100 mm shot placement to the vital organs area. None of us ever go for a head shot. In dense bush and mountainous terrain a blood trail is essential which is best achieved by massive blood loss from the vital organs. There are always exceptions to the rule but in general from my own experience the most versatile is the .270 / .308 / 7mm out to 250 - 300 meters. As one of my hunting buddies always says : " what would you rather be hit with - a pebble or a brick ".

Zebra (400 kg) and Eland preferably a .375.
I've never taken an eland, but weighing perhaps as much as a Cape Buffalo I would want a reasonably powerful rifle. However, I've taken and been in on the taking of several zebra, and they seem rather "soft" for their size and seem to give up easily. I would think about any .30 caliber should do on Mr. Stripes.

I've never taken an eland, but weighing perhaps as much as a Cape Buffalo I would want a reasonably powerful rifle. However, I've taken and been in on the taking of several zebra, and they seem rather "soft" for their size and seem to give up easily. I would think about any .30 caliber should do on Mr. Stripes.

@stonecreek. I have personally never hunted for Zebra but my PH buddies that have use .375. I will ask them
for more info.

Hello Sako Lovers,

A very interesting debate for sure! Personally I use my trusty B.S.A. 7 X 57 mm. Made in 1955 which is a great rifle for Red Stags & my trusty BRNO ZG 47 in .270 Win. calibre. Made in 1957 and so accurate for Fallow using the 130 grain Norma cartridge. As I said before I can only legally use my .222 Rem. Sako rifle on Muntjac deer here in England. In Scotland one can use a .222 Rem. rifle on Roe Deer, so the Deer Law in the UK needs to be changed, and we all know how long that might take!

Blackjack

Latest posts

Back