1. For reasons unknown to us at SCC, it seems that SCC members who are AT&T users experience issues with emails and personal messages when using our forum. This is not unique to SCC and several other internet sites are reporting the same issues. Todo10, the company who helps us with the forum and hosting, have file a complaint with AT&T but we are not convinced AT&T will do anything about it. The only way around this is to register and use another email address not connected to AT&T. We are sorry for any inconveniences this might cause! Please check this link for more info: https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Email-Security/Blocked-Domain-Email-or-IP-address-Questions-and-Discussion/td-p/4961060/page/28 More info will come when we know more! With kind regards Jim aka L61R
    Dismiss Notice

Help me choose a PPC

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by dgeesaman, Jul 30, 2017.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. dgeesaman

dgeesaman Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Hello, new guy to Sakos but not new to quality airguns and powderburners.

I'm shopping for my first centerfire. Rimfire just doesn't combine enough reach, power, and accuracy for me. So I want a shoulder-friendly varmint / target rifle that will use to learn handloading and mostly paper punching at 100 and 200y. I am regularly amazed at the groups shot by the 6ppc benchrest shooters at my club, and I learned that Sako made these in factory rifles. These seem to be right up my alley - insanely accurate, high quality, heavy barrel options, bolt action, lovely walnut, primo triggers. I'm fine with single shot, and can live with a $1500 price tag.

Questions:
    I see several models over the years came in 6ppc. Which ones were available with the target trigger, heavy barrel?

Are any models higher priced due to collectability alone? (I will shoot it and would prefer to leave the unicorns for the collectors)

I know 6ppc-usa is not reputed as a barrel-burner, but what should I watch out for in buying a used one?

Since the original Sako brass is all but gone, should I pick up Norma 6 PPC or Lapua 220 Russian?

2. ricksengines

ricksengines Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Since this will be your first center fire rifle and you want to punch holes in paper and shoot some pesky field rats with it you might want to consider getting something that will provide you with everything you are looking for and more. Sounds to me that you want accuracy, an excellent learning tool, something that is a pleasure to shoot, not too heavy to carry in the field, excellent barrel life, 100 - 200 yard accuracy, and is Sako. Why not consider an L461 in 222 or 223? You get the best of everything with either of those two calibers. Just a thought.

rick

3. dgeesaman

dgeesaman Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    You're describing my situation clearly - however I don't anticipate field carry. Any field work will be short carry or stationary. Plus, a bit more weight is less kick.

.222 is also on my list of calibers; nearly as accurate but lower cost brass and easier to load. Probably depends which caliber comes up when I'm ready to buy.

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Sako made the 6PPC in a HB single shot version with the externally adjustable target trigger & a sporter style repeater. The single shot target models had a special serial numbering system. They had either an A, B, or C prefix followed by three numbers. The regular repeater was from the regular serial numbered group. I've never seen a target trigger on a repeater, but that doesn't mean there are none, as you never say never with Sako. The chamber in the Sako is called the Sako-USA 6mm PPC & differs from the chambers the benchrest crowd uses in that the neck diameter is greater & requires no neck turning of your brass. As a result, I think you will find it won't shoot the same type benchrest groups your friends are getting, but is still a highly accurate round. If you are just "learning" about reloading I wouldn't suggest getting 220 Russian brass & forming it to 6PPC. You will have enough on your plate just learning proper & safe loading techniques without throwing "case forming" into the mix. I agree with Rick, a Sako in 222 or 223 will shoot every bit as accurately as the 6mm with easy ammo & brass availability. The ease of producing good reloads with the 222 or 223 is much enhanced for the beginner over the 6mm as well, IMHO. Good Luck in whatever you decide!!

5. dgeesaman

dgeesaman Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the info on the single and repeater models. The single shot / HB / target trigger series is what I'd prefer.

I'm aware of the difference between benchrest custom action 6 PPC and the 6 PPC USA. The guys at the club say that $25k is the basic investment to compete in that division. So the possibility of shooting tight groups at 1/10th of the cost - is still impressive to me.

So you're saying that if I end up with a 6 PPC, I should start with the Norma 6 PPC brass?

Thanks for the info, both of you.

David

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  6. cl_leg

cl_leg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    There is a Sako A1 HB 6ppc on gunbroker with no reserve, over in 12 hours. Not sure your location but if i wasnt north of the border...

7. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Just my opinion. You are a newbie to reloading. As such the PPCs' are above your paygrade. You should start with something that will be fun to shoot and help you to learn the basics of reloading. Case forming and the like takes some experience, know how and tooling that the beginner to reloading will not be familiar with. Go with the 222 or 223 first and then move up after you gain some experience and have some successes working up loads and using different bullet weights.

rick

8. dgeesaman

dgeesaman Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I appreciate your opinion. The cost of PPC alone gives me pause.

Technically speaking, what are the differences between handloading 6 PPC USA for a Sako (no-turn neck) using 6 PPC Norma brass, compared to handloading other calibers?

Or is it that .222 is nicer to shoot than 6 PPC?

9. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Given your experience level I gave you my best advice. What you decide to do depends upon how far up to your neck in deep water you want to go.

rick

10. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Benchrest rifles are spec'd to a specific neck diameter so the loader must turn down his neck wall thickness & create a close tolerance fit of his choosing. The Sako-USA chamber allows any brass to be used without turning the neck down. In other words you can load the Sako-USA like you would any SAAMI spec'd round. The Norma brass will work fine, as is. There are so many nuances to what you are contemplating, that no one can give you all the answers to all the questions that you yourself don't know yet that you are going to be asking as you move forward. As Rick has advised, it's probably would be easier to start with a simple, straightforward cartridge with readily & easily obtainable components to learn all these nuances. That's not to say you can't start off with the PPC if you want to. Once you buy a Sako you will want more (they are more addicting than peanuts), so your first purchase will be complimented with a different caliber, regardless of what you start with. The 222, 223, & the 6PPC are all very nice & pleasant to shoot. For the type of shooting you are considering the accuracy difference is going to be more about the rifle than the cartridge, as they are all capable of sub-MOA groups.

11. dgeesaman

dgeesaman Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Are there any Sako models that came in .222 or .223, with heavy barrel, adjustable trigger, single shot?

David

12. cl_leg

cl_leg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    I have not seen a 222 or 223 HB single shot. Doesnt mean they are not out there. I have seen an A1 223 and L579 22-250 HB with factory target triggers being repeaters.
    If you want a 6ppc get one. If you buy something else you will still want that 6ppc. So save yourself some time and money.

dgeesaman likes this.
  13. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    There is a L461 Vixes Heavy on Guns Intl as we speak. Don't forget you can get an inexpensive instert to put into the mag that allows easy feed of single rounds into the chamber without cycling through the magazine.

rick

dgeesaman likes this.
  14. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    Don't worry about reloading the 6 PPC unless you are going to compete. I have 2 of them, the single shot and a deluxe sporter. I just run them through Redding dies and dump powder from a Redding measure. It will shoot as good as I can with 55 grain Varmigeddon bullets and Norma brass. Be sure to get Norma brass as Sako brass is more temperamental and much harder to find...

dgeesaman likes this.
  15. dgeesaman

dgeesaman Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    If you're talking about the .222 with light walnut wood, adjustable trigger, varmint stock, and heavy barrel, then thank you.
    These are the features (and accuracy potential) that drew me toward these Sako 6PPC, not the caliber itself.

I'll leave that particular gem to someone who can pay the asking price, and hopefully find the same features in a bit more less pristine example that I can take out to shoot.

Single-shotting a repeater is usually no big deal. I have a Savage 93 with temperamental magazine that I single-load because it's simply easier. If the action is single shot - ok as well.

In the meantime I will expand my search for 6PPC and .222 Rem.