1. For reasons unknown to us at SCC, it seems that SCC members who are AT&T users experience issues with emails and personal messages when using our forum. This is not unique to SCC and several other internet sites are reporting the same issues. Todo10, the company who helps us with the forum and hosting, have file a complaint with AT&T but we are not convinced AT&T will do anything about it. The only way around this is to register and use another email address not connected to AT&T. We are sorry for any inconveniences this might cause! Please check this link for more info: https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Email-Security/Blocked-Domain-Email-or-IP-address-Questions-and-Discussion/td-p/4961060/page/28 More info will come when we know more! With kind regards Jim aka L61R
    Dismiss Notice

Heh from Pittsburgh

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Jeff Theobald, Feb 6, 2018.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Jeff Theobald

Jeff Theobald Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I came across this forum when looking for information and had to join. I got my first Sako in my early 20's (as best I recall) and of course never kept all the documentation. Now, 40 some years later I'm looking to update some information on my .300WM Finnbear (it's still in excellent condition). Would like to know when it was made and pin down more exactly when I purchased it. I'm also starting to tinker with the idea of adding another Sako rifle as well.

Jeff

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Click on "Factory Records Service" in the header above. If your rifle is within the records that the Club has you can order copies of the actual factory records as well as a Letter of Authentication if you like.

Or just click http://sakocollectors.tictail.com/, but be sure that your serial number is within the range shown.

3. Jeff Theobald

Jeff Theobald Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I already checked - mine is 79xxx series so I'm way outside the 48900 cutoff. Surprising since it would have been the early 70's and I would have thought records available for that time period.

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    If you recall buying it in the "early 70's", then that's about as good an estimate of it's born on date as you will get. Sako didn't build guns in sequential order with the serial numbers & rifles with serial numbers next to each other could have been built years apart. The import stamp can help as the importer changed from Firearms International to Garcia Corp. around that time, so that could tell you if it was imported before or after a certain year. Other features such as the pin in the rear of the bolt & the floor plate release button, as well as other minor design changes, can help determine dates as well.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  5. Jeff Theobald

Jeff Theobald Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Thank you! I'll pull it apart tomorrow to see what stamps and other details I can find. I did find the "Old Models Chart" that shows SN's 1 thru 90954 fall between dates 31.01.1962 and 12.09.1973.
    Mine is 79xxx so I would assume mine falls closer to the end of those production dates, maybe 1970-1973 which coincides with my recollection. I bought it at Flaig's Guns and the owner/gunsmith Charles Flaig died in 1972, and that was not long after I bought mine.

6. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The serial number in the 79,000's is typical for rifles produced around 1973, but don't believe any "charts". All are only approximations since Sako skipped around a great deal with their serial numbering and an individual rifle can be far outside the date range for a particular SN.

7. Jeff Theobald

Jeff Theobald Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Yep, I'm thinking 72 but maybe 73. I could have bought it after the gunshop owner died but before the shop was closed/sold.