1. For reasons unknown to us at SCC, it seems that SCC members who are AT&T users experience issues with emails and personal messages when using our forum. This is not unique to SCC and several other internet sites are reporting the same issues. Todo10, the company who helps us with the forum and hosting, have file a complaint with AT&T but we are not convinced AT&T will do anything about it. The only way around this is to register and use another email address not connected to AT&T. We are sorry for any inconveniences this might cause! Please check this link for more info: https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Email-Security/Blocked-Domain-Email-or-IP-address-Questions-and-Discussion/td-p/4961060/page/28 More info will come when we know more! With kind regards Jim aka L61R
    Dismiss Notice

Have a Colt/Sako 308. Any info appreciated.

Discussion in 'Other firearms built on Sako actions' started by JRandyh, Jun 6, 2014.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. JRandyh

JRandyh Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    I bought this gun several years ago and need as much info as possible. I thought a book was going to be written about them but can't find it.
    JR
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That's not a unicorn lol just a reflection.
    JR

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    There were a number of versions of the Colt-Sako (Coltsman) varying from starkly plain ones up to the Deluxe version like yours. It appears that most of them were barreled and stocked at the old High Standard plant, perhaps by a sub-lessor using the name Jefferson Rifle Company. This same contractor also produced rifles for Montgomery Ward on the Sako L57 action and long-action rifles for Colt on the FN Mauser action.

However, the later Deluxe Colt-Sakos like yours made on the L461, L579, and L61R actions appear to have been barreled and stocked by Sako in Finland, complete with the Colt insignia and engraving. The plainer Colt-Sakos don't seem to attract much attention. But the Deluxe models, perhaps because of the mystique of the Colt regalia, tend to bring even better money than a similar contemporaneous Sako Deluxe.

Many of the Colt-Sakos had a small metal disc with the Rampant Colt figure inletted into the stock approximately where the head of the crossbolt is, but do not actually have a crossbolt. I think it is an indication that your rifle is a genuine Sako-made rifle that it clearly has a crossbolt and not just decorative medallions.

In my opinion, you have a very desirable rifle.

3. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    All I can say is WOW!!! I think Stone is spot on in his assessment. You are very fortunate to possess such a wonderful & unique rifle. Thanks for sharing it with us. About the only difference I can see from a Sako deluxe is the border shape of the checkering & the Colt "Mustang" inlayed engraving on the floor plate.. Definitely a Sako built rifle marketed by Colt.

4. JRandyh

JRandyh Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    Thanks for the I info guys.
    jR.

5. JRandyh

JRandyh Member

Country Flag:
    USA
  6. iwanna

iwanna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    You have one of the coolest-looking rifles on the planet. Here's my Coltsman.

I don't think that book you referenced ever got written. Not a whole lot of information out there on the Coltsmans.

Attached Files:

7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    JRandy: The crowned lion's head and "MV" inspection mark on the barrel assure us that the barrel is a Sako product. There has been lots of discussion on this point as to whether any proprietary Sakos used Sako barrels (many Coltsman rifles clearly did not), but your barrel is definitely from Sako.

Jim has started an inspection mark thread -- I wish more folks would pitch in and post photos of their inspection marks there to further expand our knowledge of Sakos.

8. iwanna

iwanna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    My Coltsman's inspection marks do not match. Not a Sako barrel. I'll post pix on that when I get a moment.

Still, it's a light and quick .308 and does pretty well at the range with a peep sight. Even without the pedigree, it has survived numerous rounds of layoffs in my collection.

9. JRandyh

JRandyh Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    Beautiful rifles I wanna!

10. JRandyh

JRandyh Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    Any new info on these rifles or where I might find any?
    JR

11. iwanna

iwanna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    There ain't much out there, man.

12. Damir

Damir Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I might part with mine for the right price...

13. Damir

Damir Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Here are some pics