1. For reasons unknown to us at SCC, it seems that SCC members who are AT&T users experience issues with emails and personal messages when using our forum. This is not unique to SCC and several other internet sites are reporting the same issues. Todo10, the company who helps us with the forum and hosting, have file a complaint with AT&T but we are not convinced AT&T will do anything about it. The only way around this is to register and use another email address not connected to AT&T. We are sorry for any inconveniences this might cause! Please check this link for more info: https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Email-Security/Blocked-Domain-Email-or-IP-address-Questions-and-Discussion/td-p/4961060/page/28 More info will come when we know more! With kind regards Jim aka L61R
    Dismiss Notice

Handloading with Barnes TSX in Early Model Sako

Discussion in 'Handloads for all Sako models' started by Hillcountry, Dec 31, 2017.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Hillcountry

Hillcountry Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 10.04.14 AM.png Getting ready for Wyoming Pronghorn with my pre Garcia DLX Win 243 and wanted to know if anyone has had any warnings against using Barnes with the Bofors Steel barrels? See below the selected round and also feel free to weigh in if you think this won't do the trick on Pronghorn? Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 10.04.14 AM.png

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    When it comes to monometal bullets many swear by them, while others swear at them. I've never had good luck with them myself, but others certainly have.

There is no such thing as a bullet that performs flawlessly every time. But the monometals do appear to fail to expand a bit more often than lead core bullets.

Even when a monometal performs as designed (the nose petals peel back in about four roughly equal segments which remain attached to the bullet body), it is a rather deep-penetrating or "slow opening" bullet which is not necessarily desirable for light game such as pronghorns. You will probably find it easier to achieve good accuracy with a conventional cup-and-core bullet, and the terminal performance of a cup-and-core will almost certainly be appropriate for a 100-lb pronghorn.

3. Hillcountry

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    Nosler partition 100gn?

4. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    You are overthinking this. Premium bullets aren't necessary for Antelope. Premium bullets aren't even necessary for most North American game. The whole industry has gone nuts trying to bring something new to market and it just hasn't happened.

I have killed hundreds of big game animals with standard cup and core bullets and less than a dozen with bonded bullets and nothing was deader with a premium bullet. I still have loading components for every cartridge I shoot and when I go Antelope hunting with my 243, I use Federal blue box factory ammunition with 100 grain bullets.

I would spend more time and money on optics than I would with the ammunition...

gowyo, Unclekax and Hillcountry like this.
  5. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Kirk has probably shot as many or more pronghorns as anyone on this board and he's given you the straight dope. Shoot whatever 85 to 100 grain game bullet shoots best in your rifle. The 100 grain Partition is a good bullet, but won't kill a pronghorn any deader than a 90 grain Ballistic Tip, or a 100 grain Sierra spitzer, or a 100 grain Hornady Interlock, or . . . just find one which your gun "likes", zero it properly, and do a little practicing with it.

Hillcountry likes this.
  6. Hillcountry

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    Blessings to both of you for your honest and helpful advice.

7. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Pronghorns are very thin skinned & relatively small so any of the tougher bullets or monometals designed more for penetration aren't the best choices. They tend to pass through like an arrow, so unless you hit some bone structure your quarry may run for a considerable distance. My personal choice is the Hornady 87 grain spire point, but any similar cup & core bullet like stone & kirk have mentioned will perform better than a monometal on pronghorn. Good luck on your hunt!!

gowyo and Hillcountry like this.
  8. Hillcountry

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    Thanks Paulson will work up some hand loads and see how they work!

9. kirkbridgershooters

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    You really don't need a good bullet as much as a good set of running shoes and a Pre-Garcia Deluxe 243...

Antelope running a.jpg Antelope running b.jpg

Hillcountry likes this.
  10. Hillcountry

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    Kirk, Looks like a foot race you’re having with that pronghorn - looks like you won that race! Thoose are some nice cutters on that Buck!

11. kirkbridgershooters

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    That was a long time ago. I have about worn that body out. With a new knee and several other rebuild surgeries, I am walking a lot slower these days...

Hillcountry likes this.
  12. kjeldsen

kjeldsen Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Denmark
    State/Region:
    other
    I've used barnes tsx and ttsx exclusively for hunting in my SAKOs for the last 15 years. The work just fine, also in older SAKOs. So if you want to use that bullet, then just try it, and see how it performs in your rifle. In some specific rifles it can be hard to find a good load, but in general the barnes perform well.

gowyo and Hillcountry like this.
  13. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Have you ever shot any Pronghorn? Which is what the original question was about.

14. Hillcountry

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    Thanks KJ, good to know that Barnes will shoot with the Bofors Steel. So my concerns were two-fold. First, will the Barnes TSX work well with Pronghorn? Second, will the Barnes TSX work well with the pre Garcia DLX 243?

So thanks for the letting me know you can use the Barnes if it works well for your needs. After I sight in with factory loads (Remington Core Lokt 100gn), I will play with about 20 each of Barnes TSX 85gn hand load; 100 grain Nosler Petition hand load and finally the Hornady 87 grain spire point hand load.

15. kjeldsen

Country Flag:
    Denmark
    State/Region:
    other
    I didn't mention how I think ttsx and tsx will work on pronghorn, as I've never shot one.
    However I've shot several European Roebucks with both tsx and ttsx in several calibers incl 243, and it works perfectly. But as many writes it is not necessary to use a premium bullet for such a small animal- but again it works.

16. Hillcountry

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    Hi KJ, you should think about trying your tsx or ttsx on a pronghorn in WY! I’ve booked a hunt with SNS outfitters for Early October 2018 there are slots available. I prefer Barnes over Nosler when shooting my 264 Win Mag on Whitetail Deer

17. kjeldsen

Country Flag:
    Denmark
    State/Region:
    other
    HC
    I would very much like to try Pronghorn hunting in WY, but I still need to convince my wife. Looking forward to hear about your hunt

Hillcountry likes this.