1. For reasons unknown to us at SCC, it seems that SCC members who are AT&T users experience issues with emails and personal messages when using our forum. This is not unique to SCC and several other internet sites are reporting the same issues. Todo10, the company who helps us with the forum and hosting, have file a complaint with AT&T but we are not convinced AT&T will do anything about it. The only way around this is to register and use another email address not connected to AT&T. We are sorry for any inconveniences this might cause! Please check this link for more info: https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Email-Security/Blocked-Domain-Email-or-IP-address-Questions-and-Discussion/td-p/4961060/page/28 More info will come when we know more! With kind regards Jim aka L61R
    Dismiss Notice

Got questions about the Factory Records Services? Ask here!

Discussion in 'Factory Records Services' started by L61R, Sep 6, 2015.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. topgear

topgear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Well I reckon I've probably had the SCC record service run about 15 times for just the basic service. Personally I wouldnt buy a collectable Sako now if it wasn't in the records. You get an actual photocopy of the records as written so you can make up your own mind. So there may be entry error when they were originally written but I wouldn't take the chance personally if it was something rare like the deluxe hornet I hope to find one day:D if it wasn't written in the records in my opinion then there is something amiss to me and I would pass, unless it was cheap.
    The only time the SCC records couldn't help me was with the Sako Enfields and for one of the rifles the shipping record couldn't be found. The records for me matched well with birch and walnut stocks across multiple old sakos being indicated etc
    At the end of the day everyone's free to do what they want, but personally the SCC records are my gold standard. Sure check other things out but you'd be crazy not to use the SCC records if your looking for collectors and people are asking top dollar for them, especially in this day and age when there are many 're-manufactured' rifles floating about.

2. topgear

topgear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    P.S. Just cause there 'collectors' doesn't mean you shouldn't be taking them out for a shot as well and keeping them locked in a cupboard. That's abuse - Sako abuse:D
    Maybe a better term than 'collectors' should be 'fine weather hunters':p

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Yes. If a gun club on a military base was the entity to which the gun was originally shipped it is so listed in the Sako records. There are several different rod & gun clubs which were located on U.S. military bases listed in the records.

There are no "mistakes" in the records created by the copying process (microfiche, actually). No serial number or date was changed due to copying. The legibility of a date or a number might be subject to interpretation, just as any handwritten number is, but nothing in the copying of the records (which was done by Sako factory personnel) in any way altered anything. The images are sharp and clear.

Also, there are no missing pages. All records begin at the beginning and are demonstrably complete and in order up until the point that they end. The "completeness" of the records depends on the company's record keeping; not on how they might have been copied or reproduced. They are as complete and accurate as Sako made them, no more, no less. If a serial number in the inspection records has a blank beside it then the number likely had not been used at the time the records were copied. Or for some reason it had not been recorded in the master ledger (Defective receiver discarded? Used for experiment or prototype? Misplaced, stolen, or otherwise not in the records chain? Who knows?)

As Topgear says, when you order the factory records for a rifle you get a copy of the actual ledger page on which that rifle is recorded. This is all the Sako factory has, and, so far as anyone knows, all that exists.

On the other hand, it would be a huge prize if the distributor's records of Firearms International, Garcia, and Stoeger were available (as well as D.W. Custer and the larger European distributors of Sakos). Those would help verify the Sakos which those distributors handled and perhaps show when and where each Sako was shipped after its imporation. Also, wouldn't it be great to have the records of Colt, H&R, H&H, Browning, Sears, Marlin, Anschutz, Magnum Research, Montgomery Ward, North America Arms, Imperial Arms, Winslow, O'brien, and all of the others who produced rifles on the Sako action? (By the way, Colt Factory Letters are NOT available on Colt-Sako rifles. We've made requests and been told that records don't exist.)

No one at the Sako Collectors Club is holding the Sako Factory Records out to be anything they are not. What they are is the most accurate and valuable source of information on Sakos from the 1930's to the 1970s which exists anywhere. We feel incredibly lucky to have them and are proud to make them available to our members for their use as they see fit.

4. Fubarredz

Fubarredz Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    If you file with Sako for s year of manufacturer date how long does that process usually take?

5. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    You don't "file" anything with Sako. You send your rifle model & SN to our club & if it is within the data base we have the club will search those records & provide the info you request. Just click on "Factory Records Service" at the top of this page & follow instructions.

6. alpine hunter

alpine hunter Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Does the level 1 option include a copy of the ledger page? It's not mentioned in the description so I am not sure what is actually provided. All that is mentioned is that date of manufacture/inspection will be emailed.
    It is an early L46 so the sales info is not available which means I can't go with option 2 but I do want all the info that is available including the copy of the page.

7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Yes, you'll get a copy of the ledger page with a Level 1 request.

alpine hunter likes this.