• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Found, an Unknown H&R 17 Magnum - Ultra Wildcat Prototype?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

ricksengines

Sako-addicted
O'Brien, Ackley-O'Brien and H&R Ultra Wildcat Collectors you are not going to believe this one, but it is true. I recently acquired two Ultra Wildcat rifles, the first being the O'Brien Clone Ultra Wildcat in 222 rem (I've been searching for that one for a very, very long time and the second is a H&R O'Brien Clone in 17 Magnum. Yep, I said 17 Magnum and if you know your beans or read the thread that I put up a while back that discussed the history of the H&R Ultra Wildcats you know that H&R never produced a Ultra Wildcat or O'Brien clone rifle in 17 Magnum. But I can assure you that one does exist so judge for yourself.

Here are pics of the rifle and oh by the way I completely disassembled the rifle to clean and inspect it and the only markings on the barrel and action are the ones in the pictures. So let's get started:

This jewel looks like an Ultra Wildcat rifle with a couple of exceptions. I'll go through them as I discuss the pics.

P2140103.JPG
P2140104.JPG

Looks like an Ultra Wildcat doesn't it. But, did you notice the stock! Can you see the area just behind the rear of the bolt extending to a point just behind the front of the receiver. Instead of the stock being flat in this area there is actually a rolled grove there almost as if you could put your fingers in it if you were holding the rifle with your left hand in that area.

The stock has an H&R butt pad on it that is all original from what I can tell.

P2140105.JPG

Now check out he barrel markings.

On the top of the barrel Harrington & Richardson appears to be roll stamped about half way down the barrel.

P2140099.JPG

This is a very unusual Harrington & Richardson roll stamp. It appears to be al la O'Brien but lacks the standard address information including Worchester, Mass. It also isn't located in the traditional position which is along the left side of the barrel just forward of the chamber. The rifle also lacks the traditional Ultra Wildcat designator on the right side of the barrel.

The caliber 17 Magnum is engraved on the left side of the barrel just over the chamber area and the engraving matches to a "T" the O'Brien and Ackley-O'Brien engraving for the 17 Magnum rifles that they produced. Keep in mind that H&R never advertised that they produced a rifle in this caliber.

P2140101.JPG

The last pic is that of the side of the L461 Action so you can see the serial number etc.

P2140100.JPG

Now, as I said, there are no other markings anywhere else on this rifle. Could it be that after O'Brien transferred his company to H&R they made this one up as a prototype rifle but never put the caliber into production?

Now its your turn to try to help me solve the mystery behind this rifle. If it is a prototype are there any more like it there out there, an H&R in 17 Mach IV perhaps?

rick

Last edited:
I've been thinking, the possibility that this 17 Magnum might be a prototype should be considered however, there may be another explanation. Just before H&R went under I believe that the R&D Department assembled rifles using whatever H&R and O’Brien stocks, barrels and actions that they had on hand. Since the company assets were going to be sold off, I believe that the feeling was that assembled rifles would fetch a better price than just a pile of parts. It is entirely possible that the 17 Magnum was a rifle that was built up using the parts on hand inventory and then sold as part of the asset liquidation process. Unfortunately there aren’t any records to be found that would document anything like that and the folks that worked there are long gone so there isn’t anyone left that could shed some light on how the rifle came to be.

It certainly is unique but I have a feeling that it really isn’t the only rifle of it's type out there. If any of our other members have what might be a parts rifle that was acquired as part of the H&R liquidation sale kindly post info on what you have.

Thanks

rick

Hey Rick,
I would do a factory records check here and see if the action was shipped to H&R. If it was, I would think the mystery is partly solved. Also, I found a post in another firearms forum regarding the Model 300/301 Ultra, from an individual stating he was a former advertising and marketing head for H&R prior to them folding. I will find the forum and give you the info. Carl.

Last edited:
Rick:
I've been stumbling around on the web & I can't find any info on the 17 Magnum cartridge. Is it the same as the 17-222 Rem Magnum wildcat or is it a wildcat case of another design?

My estimate, is that it's an H&R, built from O'Brien parts, prototype 317.
The barrelled action is an un-engraved O'Brien....except for the O'Brien engraved "17 Magnum"cartridge designation.......and the action serial number predates any factory H&R Model 317. Also, the "Harrington & Richardson" roll-stamp does not include the standard address..."Worchester, Mass.".
The stock is a field grade O'Brien.......note the sharp angle of the front edge of the forend tip. H&R has added the checkering and their rifle pad.

Hi Kevin,
Many thanks for your input.

For Bowne1

To be clear O'Brien's Rifle Company made three caliber rifles, 17 Magnum, 17 Mach IV, and the 17 Javelina.

Normal production for the H&R Ultra Wildcat are 17-223, 222 Remington, 223 Remington and 17 Remington. H&R never produced a Ultra Wildcat in 17 Magnum.

Also the 17 Magnum is the 222 Remington Magnum necked down to 17 caliber.

rick

For Vigo

No real need to do a factory records check. Based on the serial number, O'Brien's Rifle Company in Las Vegas must have had control of it way before he sold out to H&R. You may also want to read my post on the history of the H&R Ultra Wildcat Rifles as it puts into perspective what caliber rifles H&R was offering relative to years that they were available for purchase.

rick

Latest posts

Back