1. For reasons unknown to us at SCC, it seems that SCC members who are AT&T users experience issues with emails and personal messages when using our forum. This is not unique to SCC and several other internet sites are reporting the same issues. Todo10, the company who helps us with the forum and hosting, have file a complaint with AT&T but we are not convinced AT&T will do anything about it. The only way around this is to register and use another email address not connected to AT&T. We are sorry for any inconveniences this might cause! Please check this link for more info: https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Email-Security/Blocked-Domain-Email-or-IP-address-Questions-and-Discussion/td-p/4961060/page/28 More info will come when we know more! With kind regards Jim aka L61R
    Dismiss Notice

Found a stock in AU. How do I get it here?

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by ricksengines, Jan 8, 2018.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. ricksengines

ricksengines Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    So, I found a stock in AU that will fit my L579. Cost including shipping should be under $400 USD. Can it be shipped to me from AU? Do I need a Form 6 and an Import license? Grrrrr. Red tape over a piece of plastic. Holy Crudd Tarts Batman.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

rick

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    No import license, just a customs declaration form,, list item as plastic stock or similar.
    The SHIPPER declares the contents, then ships - that simple.

3. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Many Thanks GreyFox. This is a private person. SO all they need do is to fill out a AU Customs Declaration. List the item as a plastic or synthetic stock and ship directly to me. Sounds simple enough. I just don't want to see the owner or me get wrapped around the axle for doing this and then get hammered for violating some unknown law or requirement.

rick

4. GreyFox

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Rick - It depends on the person behind the counter and how you describe it.
    I sent a scope to Arizona - UPS said the could not ship it because it was a "firearm"! When I described it as a telescope (Aluminum tube with lenses) they said OK!
    Personally, I wouldn't put "rifle stock" I'd list it as Synthetic Stock or something similar.

5. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    This is a private sale. We are going to describe it as 'Plastic Stock'. That is what it is and that should suffice for a description.

rick

6. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    "Parts" for firearms (not including receivers or barrels) can be imported into the U.S. without a firearms import license if valued at not more than $100.

7. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Hi Stone

This one is going to be more than that. One the right side. MY local FFL is willing to import from AU as long as it is a 1 or 2 zee deal. They have checked with ATF and it looks like it can happen without an import/export license as long as it on that level. Form 6 is all that will be needed so I might just get my 7x33 and 25-20 yet!

rick

8. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Gunstock lamp.jpg

Of course, the item may not be for purposes of being a gun part at all and therefore unregulated . . .

cl_leg and ricksengines like this.
  9. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Ah creative thinking. like it.

rick

10. dodgyrog

dodgyrog Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    England
    State/Region:
    UK Durham City
    I used to ship bullets (not cartridges) as paper punching material!

11. GreyFox

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Copper or lead stock.

12. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Process became so complicated that we both decided to give up.

13. ditchdogger

ditchdogger Active Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Alberta
    Not sure about what regulations exist shipping from AU to the US or maybe it is our free trade agreement, But all I ever put on the customs declaration is fiberglass stock and have never had a problem shipping to the US. I know a gun builder that used to buy my l461 stocks used to have me declare them as a fiberglass moulding for Australian importation before he retired.
    http://wildcatcomposites.com/

14. dhv

dhv Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    As far as I know, there would be no restrictions for exporting this from Oz.

We only get hung up about telescopic / adjustable stocks which adjust more than a few inches and even then the focus is import not export.