Finnwolf safe queen

Discussion in 'Sako Finnwolf VL63 lever actions' started by Lou49, Jun 16, 2017.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Lou49

Lou49 Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I recently bought a nice Finnwolf, I think it has lived in a safe since 1969. The metal is flawless, no nicks or scratches and no bluing loss at the muzzle. There is a bit of blueing wear on the bottom of the 4 round mag. Stock is very nice, tiger stripe at the fore end, and has some minor " safe kisses " which are not obvious unless I look for them. Came with original Sako bases and see thru rings and a Nickel Supra 2.5 x 6 scope with a cross hair and dot. The front and rear sight line up perfectly thru the see thru rings. Trigger pull is 2lbs. 2oz. The mag has occasional hang ups from the left hand side but right side feeds very well. It is missing the front sight hood. I took it to the range, half inch 3 round group with Federal 95 grain at 50 yds. The hammer spring popped out so I stretched it and put it back in but after a few lever throws it popped out again. I maze a little spacer out of a small washer to take up the slack but the lever would not close so the spring is length sensitive. So I got some Permatex Ultra Black silicone gasket sealer and put a dab in the recess for the 514 hammer spring plunger and reinstalled the spring and plunger and wiped off the excess silicone. I closed the lever and reopened it and cleaned off the excess again and then closed the lever for 24 hours to cure the silicone. The plunger is now seated firmly in the recess but can be removed to install a new hammer spring if necessary. I am interested in buying a 513 hammer spring and a spare 514 plunger and a sight hood if anyone has some for sale.Does anyone have any ideas about the left hand side feeding issue? Perhaps the 95 grain boattails are too long?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    ricksengines likes this.

2. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Lou49 likes this.
  3. Trapper56

Trapper56 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    Lou49,

The Finnwolf I recently bought had an issue with the magazine. There was more spring tension on the front of the follower than on the rear. This caused the rounds to "tip up" in the magazine. Half the time the bolt wasn't catching the next cartridge when the lever was cycled. I fixed it by taking the "follower / spring" out of the magazine and "judiciously" bending the spring so that the spring tension was equal, front to back... works like a champ now... You should be able to do the same to fix your issue, just be careful !

On the same note (Finnwolf feeding issues), My last "problem" with my Finnwolf before I deem it to be 100% is this: There's not enough spring tension on the ejector. This causes the spent shells to just "fall out" of the ejection port instead of being smartly "tossed out". Anyone else experience that with your Finnwolf ?

Lou49 likes this.
  4. Lou49

Lou49 Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    Thanks for the tip on the follower spring, I'm gonna keep an eye on that.....I managed to get a fingernail inside my mag and UNDER the left hand side mag lip and felt a small burr there which I removed. It feeds snap caps nicely now but I have not been to the range yet to try live ammo.

5. ricksengines

ricksengines Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I want to thank you for posting such great pictures of your rifle. It sure looks like a super rifle and should be fun to shoot.